• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suggestions for Great PC War Games?

I've been playing a little known game from http://www.paradoxplaza.com called Hearts of Iron. WWII on a grand scale. Learning curve is steep but after you get used to the game, it captivates for hours and hours.

I have also beta-tested Crusader Kings which is built on the same engine as HOI and it looks promising.

To relieve stress, I squeeze off a few rounds in America's Army. If anyone plays the game, my clan has an honour server at IP 69.25.19.65. You're welcome to drop by anytime. You can also check out our clan at http://www.rwgclan.com We're a bunch of old farts who just like to have fun. Some of our members include a US Marine, Airforce; we've even got an ex RCR.

Gruending said:
Did not take the time to read through the whole thread, but as an avid wargamer I can honestly say I have the most fun playing the Close Combat series by Atomic games (www.atomic.com), now they create games under license for Microsoft. But anyways; Close Combat is a real time strategy series of games set in WWII, across numerous fronts. From the Eastern Campaign, to Normandy, you control up to perhaps the level of a combat team. All the psychologies of the soldiers are modelled, and every single round is tracked. Your men actually panic and run if crap starts hitting the fan. On the same note, their morale is bolstered by close proximity of commanders and the sounds of friendly machine gun fire.
Check it out

Close Combat was good in its day; now its suckage is only magnified by the pathetic 3-D version called Eric Young's Squad Assault, which sucks to the nth degree.

Close Combat was in real time, which means "clickfest" as you scramble around micromanaging platoon sized groups (and unrealistic ones at that) and play over and over on the same two dozen photo realistic maps.  It gets old quickly, even when playing the half-assed 'campaign' which laughinly links the same 20 or so maps together and permits you to unrealistically mix Luftwaffe rifle squads, SS tank troops, and Wehrmacht engineers into a platoon battle group and then makes you issue every single order to every single unit in the group while play is going on without pause.

Add in ridiculous vehicle pathing and you will see that this once-innovative game is well past its day.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Medal of Honour" ALlied Assault I just got (yeah I know I am behind the times). Awesome game...just can't get pass the mission where you must take out the 88s. So frustrating lol.

Being behind the times means you go to Walmart and buy the game and all the expansions for 20 bucks total, unlike others who go out and buy each game seperately for 59.99 the second they come out.  :salute:  Here's a salute for your fiscal conservatism.

I got through MOH and then Spearhead and the other expansion but never finished the second "sequel" - shall have to go back and revisit it when I get time.  It is mindless, but it is fun, and the effects seem pretty realistic to someone who's never been under fire for real. 

Ghost Recon is a pretty good game, I got it for XBOX.

Another good PC game is  Marine Sharpshooter 2: Jungle Warfare, its a cheap budget game, cost me $19, but its a pretty good game, an good story in it, the missions are pretty long to.

Also, the game was made by a company based in Vancouver,BC.

Guys cmon we all know that the OFP is the bomb , you gotta love its add ons like RED HAMMER and whats the other one o REsistance . And the guys that create the mods well they just looks fantastic its like getting a brand new game , I even saw a JTF mod for one of the missions , too cool . ANyways my vote Operation Flash point , can't wait for the second one , but will probably have no time by then as I already may be in the CF .

Shulaev said:
Guys cmon we all know that the OFP is the bomb , you gotta love its add ons like RED HAMMER and whats the other one o REsistance . And the guys that create the mods well they just looks fantastic its like getting a brand new game , I even saw a JTF mod for one of the missions , too cool . ANyways my vote Operation Flash point , can't wait for the second one , but will probably have no time by then as I already may be in the CF .

It has drawbacks, the most irksome are the contact grenades that are impossible to throw through windows. 
They explode on contact rather than having time fuzes. 

Some excellent WW II and Vietnam mods for OFP, but it needs several things

a) a random battle creator
b) non-scripted campaigns
c) a more user friendly scenario design tool (though the one it has now is excellent once you master it)

I'm looking forward to OFP II as well.  If it does have scripted campaigns, I hope it lets you stay as an infantryman - being forced halfway through to become a tank commander, then a pilot, then a frogman blah blah blah gets not only unrealistic but not fun as you have to basically start over and learn new sets of skills.  A better way would be full blown campaigns as each - pilot, tank, infantry, etc.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Medal of Honour" ALlied Assault I just got (yeah I know I am behind the times). Awesome game...just can't get pass the mission where you must take out the 88s. So frustrating lol.

I sent you a PM to reply to yours, but if anyone else is reading, of if you are like me and don't notice the PMs for days and days - here it is

I just went through my saved games - I always played at the easiest level which was challenging enough for me, so your experience may be different.  I remounted my assault onthe radar station, then all I had to do was backtrack to the fork in the road, crouch with binos on, and sneak up only as far as I had to in order to see the 88.  He fired one round.  As he did this, I looked through the binos, clicked "fire" and the airstrke came down.

Anyone here play WWII online? I'm considering picking it up and if you guys have it I'd like some guys to play with.

Just to throw it out there... an air combat game that rocks is Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge.   Non-simulator (which means arcade-ish) but unless you are anal and like the Microsoft Flight Simulator series, instead going for the all out pure dogfighting, this is definitely the game to get.   Online play with up to 16 pilots in a game is fantastic.

On a side note, I could swear that the upcoming movie Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is based on Crimson Skies.

Best realism mod ever, its a ut99 engine game loaded with guns and no crosshair. If you like blowing up people with 40mm airburst and carrying what you want try http://infiltration.sentrystudios.net, finding a copy of unreal tournament isn't hard its a good game on high res and the best part is not a single crosshair!

The Thief series is excellent (I find).

I am currently playing Thief 3 Deadly Shadows. Very good!

http://www.thief3.com/main.html

Slim

In my opinion the absolute best WWII game EVER made would be PANZER GENERAL. This is a turn based came akin to "Hearts of Iron" and you are presented with large not very detailed hex maps that allow you to move whole units around. there are no time limits and a few hundred different units for every single nation, the main reason I love this game is because you are playing as a German and have to take over the world with their units using only conventional techniques, no heros no magic none of that queer Warcraft III stuff. umm.. lets see.. you can download the entire game off of the internet and if you can't find it then you can msg. me and I will do my best to send you the .zip files.
      Please do not fall into the trap of buying one of the new Panzer General 3D games because they are no fun whatsoever and you will end up using reflexes more then your noggin.

I have an X-box so for me it is Ghost recon hands down.

Get the Ghost recon Island thunder disk while you still can...it is based in Cuba, and has some wicked cool combat zones.  And if you have a cable modem The X-box live with Ghost recon is a blast...nothing like fumbling a grenade with your buddies around to laugh at you...as they are running away. LOL!

The PC version has TONS of mods for it.

X-box Halo is IMHO the best for shooters, and was built for people that like to mess around with game physics..ie what happens when we go here? Or do it this way?, or steal this vehicle?
Halo 2 is going to be even better, and I'm told is going to be set up for X-box live.

Full Spectrum Warrior is looking good.  Here is some HUGE clips, and a demo of the game.
The trailer: (7.2 megs.)
http://www.fullspectrumwarrior.co.uk/images/FSW_Trailer.mov

The Demo: (117 megs!)
http://www.fullspectrumwarrior.co.uk/images/FSW_Demo.mov

Crimsons skies is also great, and give you room to mess around, sort of like Halo.
I always rent from the video store before I buy...don't trust the TV ads.
ie.. Driver 3 is not as good as they say it is.  IMHO rent it or buy it used.

Cheers!
P.

I didn't bother going through the fourm but I recommend if it isn't stated the half-life mod: day of defeat. If you have a steam account you can play with others on the internet and fight just like world war II. Its Americans or Canadians i forgot :p against the axis which is Germany. There are levels where the americans are replaced with the british. It's fun with old gun history. The M1 Garand :D

Back