• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suicides

Ludoc

Member
Reaction score
1
Points
230
daftandbarmy said:
I'm pretty sure they still don't count Class A reservists, who attempt or 'complete' suicide, in those overall numbers...

From the article:
The new figures quietly published online by the Canadian Armed Forces in January showed 17 full-time regular-force members and three reservists died by suicide in 2019.
 

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
3,491
Points
1,010
There really needs to be a larger investment in mental health services. Also, there is no greater resource than a concerned and caring peer. Leaders really need to take this seriously.

Bring back the ASIST program not just for leaders but troops as well.
 

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
588
Points
1,260
daftandbarmy said:
I'm pretty sure they still don't count Class A reservists, who attempt or 'complete' suicide, in those overall numbers...

If they do, and if it is presumed to be job related, is it from their part-time job ( VAC ), or their full-time job ( WSIB )?

Or both?


daftandbarmy said:
Are Covid 19 patients at risk for PTSD?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/hope-resilience/202004/are-covid-19-patients-risk-ptsd

If they are, that will keep the brain specialists busy for a long time. The Covid-19 projections are variable. But, all are overwhelming.

 

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
4,026
Points
1,110
daftandbarmy said:
I'm pretty sure they still don't count Class A reservists, who attempt or 'complete' suicide, in those overall numbers...

I've not yet found the source docs for the new figures the media is quoting.

I can say that the 2018 (and previous) published studies only counted regular force males.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/corporate/reports-publications/health/2018-report-on-suicide-mortality-in-the-caf-1995-to-2017.html
 

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
5,714
Points
990
This needs to be nuanced.  In certain reports analyses of some groups were omitted because the number of suicides was small enough that no statistical inferences could be drawn, or because there were single instances, in which case descriptions could be personally identifiable.

The suicides / attempts, when reported, are tracked, there is a formal protocol followed for each; but public reporting has parameters surrounding it.

Having spoken with several Surgeons General over the years, they are aware and interested in the whole population.  As one put it discussing a previous report "The good news is that we don't have enough Res F suicides to be able to analyze."
 

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
4,026
Points
1,110
dapaterson said:
This needs to be nuanced.  In certain reports analyses of some groups were omitted because the number of suicides was small enough that no statistical inferences could be drawn, or because there were single instances, in which case descriptions could be personally identifiable.

The suicides / attempts, when reported, are tracked, there is a formal protocol followed for each; but public reporting has parameters surrounding it.

Having spoken with several Surgeons General over the years, they are aware and interested in the whole population.  As one put it discussing a previous report "The good news is that we don't have enough Res F suicides to be able to analyze."

Yup, I should have clarified that, sorry. Reservists and females have too low a number for meaningful statistical analysis. So we get case tracking and PSTRs, but no epidemiology.
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
9,403
Points
1,160
Brihard said:
Yup, I should have clarified that, sorry. Reservists and females have too low a number for meaningful statistical analysis. So we get case tracking and PSTRs, but no epidemiology.

I also assume it's harder to track Class A reservists as we are a shifty lot compared with the 'golden handcuffed' regulars :)
 
Top