• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sunglasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon_

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm joining the reserves, and my bmq/sq course is coming up very soon, I was wondering does the CF issue sunglasses? Or do they let us wear our own ?  I did search didn't find anything, so it's not like I'm lazy, I'm just a shitty searcher. Anyways the reason i ask this is because I'm buying a pair of Oakley jawbones, and for the amount of time we will be outside over the next 16 weeks (It's the co-op program, that's why it's so long) I'm thinking it would be quite nice to be able to wear sunglasses.
Thanks.

Your issued ballistic eyewear will function as sunglasses if you put in the the shaded lens. Your instructors will teach you all of this.

I wouldn't suggest busting out the Oakley's on Co-op.

;)

aha didn't think oakleys would be too loved.  I love using excuses (like this course with being outside lots) to buy a new pair of sunglasses.  :'(
Thanks popnfresh for the reply.

While on the topic.  When in DEU's are we allowed to wear sunglasses?

A Lt. (in civies) jacked me up in an airport last year for wearing a pair of serengities while in my DEUs - and told me I should get some issued sunglasses.... I asked around, but the answer i got was they don't make issued sunglasses... ?

Thank you for any clarification.

I do not have the CF dress manual with me at home for the correct quote, but I do know sun glasses have been allowed in most orders of dress as long as they are conservative in nature (no neon flashy bling) and the lenses are not half moons, reflective or transitional. When on course (ie: BMQ) or on parade that reference will be modified by the staff and their answer is normally no.

I'm not going to dig up Dress Regs on this but I know we were told no mirrored sunglasses and if you purchase your own to wear in uni, they must be conservative in style. I can't even wear my Visions as they apparently don't change fast enough .

Ballistic Eye Ware looks so stupid with DEU's but IIRC a pair of conservative sunglasses are aloud will in DEU's.........

EDITED TO ADD

From CFP 265

Chapter 2 Section 2 Apperance

EYEGLASSES/SUN-GLASSES
11. Eyeglasses and sun-glasses shall be
conservative in design and colour.
12. Subject to any restrictions which may be
imposed by commanding officers on occasions of
wear, the following sun-glasses are authorized for
wear with CF orders of dress:
a. Designated Duty Personnel. Personnel
serving in aircrew, field and other designated
positions may obtain from the CF Supply
System and wear:
(1) Sun-glasses (aircrew) 8465-21-870-
(2) Sun-glasses (field force) 8465-21-104-
7821, and
(3) Sun-glasses (special) 8465-21-874-
b. All Personnel. Personnel who normally wear
eyeglasses, may wear either conventionally
framed prescription sun-glasses or
conservatively styled clip-on sun-glasses,
when conditions and circumstances dictate.
Others may wear conservatively styled sunglasses
which conform in general
appearance to those previously noted.
13. The following types of lenses are not
authorized for wear with CF orders of dress:
a. Photochromic. These lenses act as a light
filter and possess the property of darkening
when exposed directly to ultraviolet light and
lightening when the ultraviolet is withdrawn.

b. Mirrored. These lenses, also referred to as
half-silver mirrors, have a highly reflective
metallic substance deposited upon the
surface of the lenses, thereby creating a
mirrored effect.

Note the part I bolded..... have seen lots of ppl with those... not sure if there has been an update to CFP 265 yet on this...

kratz said:
I do not have the CF dress manual with me at home for the correct quote, but I do know sun glasses have been allowed in most orders of dress as long as they are conservative in nature (no neon flashy bling) and the lenses are not half moons, reflective or transitional. When on course (ie: BMQ) or on parade that reference will be modified by the staff and their answer is normally no.

So are you saying that while in BMQ i would not be able to wear my Oakley Flak jackets? because i was thinking of bringing them along since the snow is alittle bright during the day.

System and wear:
(1) Sun-glasses (aircrew) 8465-21-870-
(2) Sun-glasses (field force) 8465-21-104-
7821, and
(3) Sun-glasses (special) 8465-21-874-

Are these the "issued" sunglasses i was told about?  If so, are they any good?

Questions about sunglasses come up on a regular basis like clockwork, but nobody seems to search for the answers first.

http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/19879/post-754513#msg754513

http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/34475/post-267851#msg267851

http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/35962/post-313788#msg313788

http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/31221/post-223126#msg223126

http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/31902/post-552930#msg552930

Thank you kratz.

locked because its obvious that the OP did not even bother to try.

brandon I hope you don't plan to use that excuse when tasked to look for something in the CF.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back