• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supp Reserves or ED&T?

AgentSmith

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm moving out to Alberta soon and I was told since the move is permanent my best option would be to go supp reserve. I know I could attach post or join another armoured unit, but I don't want to be armoured recce anymore. I was told there would be a lot of paperwork to do if I wanted to switch trades and I was advised against it. Since I need time to sort my life out once I'm out there, is it best to go on ED&T or the Supp reserves while I look for a new unit to join? I have a few in mind (15 MP coy, 6 Intelligence coy, and 408 tactical helicopter squadron though admittedly, I don't know much about how the air force reserve works)

Is it possible to leave the supp reserve and switch to another trade in the primary reserve or would I have to go back to my original trade then request an OT?

Too much paperwork involved??  Someone needs to kick the lazy out of their idle body.

You might get more joy contacting the unit you want join;  they might make more of an effort to help you....

AgentSmith said:
I'm moving out to Alberta soon and I was told since the move is permanent my best option would be to go supp reserve. I know I could attach post or join another armoured unit, but I don't want to be armoured recce anymore. I was told there would be a lot of paperwork to do if I wanted to switch trades and I was advised against it. Since I need time to sort my life out once I'm out there, is it best to go on ED&T or the Supp reserves while I look for a new unit to join? I have a few in mind (15 MP coy, 6 Intelligence coy, and 408 tactical helicopter squadron though admittedly, I don't know much about how the air force reserve works)

Is it possible to leave the supp reserve and switch to another trade in the primary reserve or would I have to go back to my original trade then request an OT?

You can contact those units, find one with a spot open that is willing to take a VOT. You should be able to parade with that new unit until the VOT paperwork is completed and you rebadge/change DEU. Going Supp Res and then back to the P Res just to switch trades is more paperwork, as you still have to VOT after you switch back anyways.

PuckChaser said:
You should be able to parade with that new unit until the VOT paperwork is completed and you rebadge/change DEU. Going Supp Res and then back to the P Res just to switch trades is more paperwork, as you still have to VOT after you switch back anyways.

Depends on the Brigade policy. Using myself as an example, I am unable to transfer to a PRes unit until my VOT is complete.  Brigade policy is to not have members in a unit/position unless they are of the correct trade for the position.  Until my VOT is complete, I have to remain in the Supp Res.

From my experience doing a VOT, there really isn't a lot of paperwork the member completes, it's just the VOT application form.  After that, it's just a wait for the G1/PSO office to process your paperwork, contact supervisors, set up a PSO interview, etc.

Prior to starting the VOT, like was mentioned above, you need to contact the unit to see if they have open positions. As well, you may be required to have a interview with the RSM and he/she will give you the yay/nay for joining the unit.

Another thing to consider is your work loc in AB. Joining the Res Armd unit in AB may not be even feasible (we have a number of PEIR pers who have moved to AB, and joining our sister Armd unit in AB means in some cases a 2-, 4-, 6-hr drive).

So, it may be in your interest to look into attach posting to a Res unit closer to your work loc while waiting for your paperwork to go through. So, pde-ing with another unit while waiting for the docs to go through keeps you off the NES naughty list.

Some units will only approve ED&T for a block of three months, six max in exceptional (soldier) cases.

Big key: keep your CoC informed and in the loop. If you bugger off to AB without telling anyone, expecting it all to just work out, BPT be surprised and find yourself NES.

It doesn't hurt to do some calling yourself, be proactive, have a slate of options. Talk to your OR, Ops WO, and CoC, too. In these economic times, many folks are looking West, so there's some experience out there.

Back