• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supplementary reserves question

Dobeweiler

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all

So I released from the army reserves with the intent to come back at a later date, last year due to a knee injury. The MCpl who handled my release mentioned that the supplementary reserves could be an option when I re apply. I talked to a clerk friend of mine and asked him his thoughts on the SuppRes and he said that it's shitty and the administration sucks - in that they forget about you and you eventually end up NES.

As much as I trust my friends, I do still like to get second opinions so I can compare notes  :nod:

So here we go, question time:

1. Does anyone here have any experience in/with the SuppRes?

2. Is the above pretty much the gist of it? If so, is there any way to keep yourself relevant so you don't fade your way onto the NES list?

3. Being in the SuppRes, are you pretty much "frozen" at your training/rank and stuck in a "We'll call you if we need you"?

4. Being in the SuppRes, does that disqualify me from going on courses?

5. Is it true that you can only be called in for riots and in case Canada goes to war/gets invaded?

Anyway, that's pretty much it from me. Any clarification would be great.

Best regards,

Me

During the release process,  you would have seen a form where you could have checked a box and transferred to the SupRes instead of a complete release. Maybe you misunderstood, as you should have transferred to the SupRes on release, not reapply into it afterwards.  In theory, releasing to the SupRes would make it easier to ge back in to the Reg/PRes.

Also, you don't go NES while in the SupRes as you don't report to a unit, etc. AFAIK you are not able to do courses while SupRes, what would the purpose or sending someone not active on course?  You also do not have any uniforms/kit issued to you while you are in the SupRes (unless temp issue for a tasking/class b).

Members of the SupRes are able to apply for certain class b taskings(Cadet summer camp is the one I'm aware of people doing) as well as class B jobs posted on the REO website.

Supp res is the non active Pres, lots of people have done it prior to a release.

DO NOT ever let someone's opinion on the "admin" deter you from doing something, or the fear of "being forgotten" just because those people are incapable of doing their jobs to the required standard should not limit you to the decision you wish to choose.

Many people will turn to Supp Res instead of release just in case they want to get back in. Perhaps they sorted out what ever they needed to sort out, or realized that leaving wasn't their best choice.

It is possible to enlist as a sup res if there is sufficient prior military service or if there are unique and special skills that can warrant this situation.

While on Sup res you hand in all of your kit and are no longer active, but you are still subject to the code of service discipline (in ways). You can not take taskings or courses considering you have no uniform and no kit. You will not even belong to a unit, so good luck finding a CFTPO entitled to you.

Many people will also choose EDT as opposed to sup res...similar principle, but with this you will keep your kit and be excused from duty for X period of time. This is common for those travelling, going to school, starting a new job/family, etc. Though once you come back to work your EDT is no longer valid.

As with anything the onus is on you to ensure that everything is up to date, you need to follow the proper channels to have it initiated and to ensure that you have received confirmation that it has been enacted. This also includes keeping your proper authority up to date with changes of residence and other vital information (this was a major problem in the Sres world in the past)

Technically speaking. You nay not be forced into service while on Supp Res. under QR&O paragraph 9.04(3)

All in all, a recruiter can help you and so can your former chain of command.

Poacher434 said:
While on Sup res you hand in all of your kit and are no longer active, but you are still subject to the code of service discipline (in ways). You can not take taskings or courses considering you have no uniform and no kit. You will not even belong to a unit, so good luck finding a CFTPO entitled to you.

If SupRes members are not able to get Class B jobs/taskings why does every REO posting say this

Members of the Supp Res if eligible who wish to apply for this position may do so through SUPP RES STAFF at toll free number: 1-866-558-3566, Fax number: 1-613-992-1324, Email: DND.SuppRes-ResSupp.MDN@forces.gc.ca.

I'm quite confident in saying you will be taken off of sup-res when accepting that job.

I think it's direction on how to apply considering your IBTS and yearly re-quals are likely expired.

Just a thought, but regardless it's hard to take a tasking when you have no kit....

Back