• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supplements

Mr.Neville

Inactive
Reaction score
  Hello all, I'll try and keep this as brief as possible. My close friend who is really into body building is trying to convince me to drop an absurd amount of money (he spends several hundred dollars a month) on supplements he uses for building muscle mass. I'm not the gym jock that he is, but I do lots of cardio and calisthenics to stay in shape, almost daily. A quick google search has showed me that products such as whey protein, casein protein and creatine monohydrate will most likely have no effect on my body unless I'm lifting weights. He believes that taking supplements could help improve all around health, although I think it would just be a waste of money. Does anybody have any experience with this that could lend me a few words of advice, or any recommendations for supplements/vitamins for all around health or to help improve cardiovascular strength?

Thanks for reading the novel above, any help is much appreciated.

Been there, done that. Waste of money imho. Buy good, healthy nutritious actual food instead and aim for 5 light meals a day. Make your biggest meal right after your workout.

VancouverIslandHunter said:
  Hello all, I'll try and keep this as brief as possible. My close friend who is really into body building is trying to convince me to drop an absurd amount of money (he spends several hundred dollars a month) on supplements he uses for building muscle mass. I'm not the gym jock that he is, but I do lots of cardio and calisthenics to stay in shape, almost daily. A quick google search has showed me that products such as whey protein, casein protein and creatine monohydrate will most likely have no effect on my body unless I'm lifting weights. He believes that taking supplements could help improve all around health, although I think it would just be a waste of money. Does anybody have any experience with this that could lend me a few words of advice, or any recommendations for supplements/vitamins for all around health or to help improve cardiovascular strength?

Thanks for reading the novel above, any help is much appreciated.

We have a lot of topics on SUPPLEMENTS.  If you read them you will find a lot of information that will help you in your quest.  I agree with what you have said, and have seen the end results of some of these guys who take those supplements and what happens to them later in life.  I am of the "natural" frame of mind; what my body needs should be provided in a proper daily diet, not needing supplements other than perhaps Vitamins.  I am also cheap and find spending money on supplements, I can spend it on other things.  Don't fall prey to peer pressure. 

It  comes down to personal preference, trial and error, placebo effect, what you research on your own.

You could just take a multivitamin the morning. Taking whey type protein and not lifting weights, I've read, is a good way to get fat.

Some people (me) have a whole system.
Hypershred Fat burner and Vita freak pill pack(including multivitamin) in the morning.
Two scoops of protein in lieu of breakfast.
Hyper fx pre workout drink before a workout
Work out drink with amino acids during a workout (revolution bcaa splash)
Two scoops of protein after your work out.

It can get expensive. Professional body builders will take 4000-6000 calories a day, not many dudes can spend that on groceries not to mention supplements.

If you're going to try supplements start slow and do a lot of reading. Its like people doing pt for the first time. They try and do the heaviest weight they can 7 days a week and run half a marathon. Overdo it.
They just screw themselves up. Bodybuilding.com would be a better research too than this site.

I have tried creatine but I have stopped using it now and I use whey protein. I tend to take less then the reccommended amounts.

C.G.R said:
I have tried creatine but I have stopped using it now and I use whey protein. I tend to take less then the reccommended amounts.

Creatine?  That is high on the Cancer causing list, isn't it?

I have not heard that. It is a very commonly used supplement, the one thing I have researched however is that it may cause liver damage long term..

But it wouldnt surprise me, everything seems to cause cancer now.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to pass on them, I wasn't particularly fond of them in the first place and the cons seems to vastly outweigh the pros. If I'm gonna get fat and have cancer I'm going to do it eating Boston Cream donuts. After more research though I'm going to go out and buy some Fish Oil pills today because I never eat any seafood (can't stand the taste) and apparently being deficient in Omega-3's is quite common. and @George Wallace, I did do a quick search of Supplements, Creatine, and Protein, nothing showed up under the first, and the second two couldn't find my answers.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm gonna save my money.

I tried creatine for a while. I found a bit of an increase in strength (weight lifting) but a significant loss in cardio, endurance and muscle stamina.

Some people suggest Protein can lead to short term memory loss.

High protein low carb diets seem to reduce mental clarity.

The biggest pain for me while taking creatine is the amount of water that I had to drink to sustain it. I drink a lot of water to begin with.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Some people suggest Protein can lead to short term memory loss.

High protein low carb diets seem to reduce mental clarity.

I find that hilirious because the friend I was referencing is a bit... dopey, we usually make tease him by imatating his voice "Da, I'm Frank, Me strong. Me lift things up. Me put them down". It's all in good fun and Frank isn't his real name. Regardless I think I will pass, I'm happy with my body at the moment.

Just eat right, stay away from fast food and junk. Food is fuel, just eat properly. My buddies powerlift (PR 400+ front squat) and they take nothing.

I used to use whey to help my muscles heal quicker, but theres no point, save your money. Just remember to stretch and eat right.

WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID! I take Mpower sometimes, look that up; I went to the gym yesterday and instead of being there my normal hour, hour and 20, I was there for 2 hours (and had to tell myself to stop).

** I'm a relatively fit female... wtf do I know.

Thanks for the advice Bgray, that's pretty much what I do already, I've decided to not even bother with wasting my money. Supplements seems quite sketchy and I'm sure an egg or two in the morning will give me just enough protein as it is. I'll be sure to look it up :)

If you buy whey protein at Costco it only costs about $40 for a big 2kg tub of it, which lasts quite a while. In only one scoop there is 25g of protein and only 120 calories, 2g of fat and 1g of sugar for the brand that I have. It is pretty hard to get that much concentrated protein, however it is obviously still a must to have a proper diet in addition to the supplement.

George Wallace said:
Creatine?  That is high on the Cancer causing list, isn't it?

I certainly hope not, being that every person's body produces it, but like any supplement, if not taken with due regard it can be damaging.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/creatine/NS_patient-creatine/DSECTION=safety

I have taken creatine before, creatine monohydrate (5g) in a glass of water 30 minutes before weights.  And thats the only time I've taken it.  30 min's is the optimum time before a workout (with the monohydrate powder).  Without getting into a long blurb about it, basically that is when you're body will absorb and actually use it.  Any other time, you just piss it out.

I get a few extra reps, quicker recovery and a good pump.  But I also never take it for more than a few weeks on, then go a few weeks off.  Expect weight gain, as you will suck in and retain lots of water (approx 2lb/liter). 

Any creatine your muscles don't use above and beyond the natural state, your body (liver) turns into something called creatinine (or something like that).  The damage comes when you over-use, your liver has to get rid of it over and over and over...

Like anything, research and make an educated decision.  I like the MayoClinic, reputable website that I don't have to question the content being legit.

:2c:

C.G.R said:
If you buy whey protein at Costco it only costs about $40 for a big 2kg tub of it, which lasts quite a while. In only one scoop there is 25g of protein and only 120 calories, 2g of fat and 1g of sugar for the brand that I have. It is pretty hard to get that much concentrated protein, however it is obviously still a must to have a proper diet in addition to the supplement.

I use one of the Costco brands as well, and and found that it is a better deal than what I was using (ISO Xp) dollar-wise.  Before buying, you need to check your 'bang for the buck' on the stuff.

Basically, look at the 'serving size' and then look at how many grams of protein is in it.  The higher the better, Iso XP is the best I've had (58g serving has 50g of protein, I use 1/2 scoop for 1 serving).  The lower the % of protein, the more crap and filler there is.  1 of the Costco types was junk IMO, and one was good (can't remember the name, white container with green stickers on it IIRC).

I ONLY take protein powder right after weights, but thats because I do my weights on the way home and after that I still have a 30 min drive.  I've been up and on the go since about 0530 at that point and need something easy and quick until supper.  I just use water and the powder and get some protein downrange quick.  I'm not fond of driving and trying to scorff down some tuna or something.

Take the time sometime to see just how much protein you are getting in all the other foods you eat, you'll be amazed.  I did it once, added it all up and found out I was almost getting enough just from eating (healthy) and using the *bodyweight X 1.5 = total amount of protein in grams needed* when I was trying to put some muscle on.  You don't know how much you need, or IF you need, to supplement if you don't know how much you are getting now compared to how much you should be getting a day.

If you really want to get into the weeds, get your body fat % done (can do at home with calipers), and then figure out your lean body mass...that is the number you are looking to use to figure out your grams of protein a day...why feed fat right?

Isnt creatine supposed to be used post work out? Another thing I read up on was if you keep using creatine it is possible for your body to stop naturally producing it.

All the research I did, pointed me to decide to take it before so I used it during.  It was a combo of reading what it actual does, and what happens to what you don't use (liver turns it into something and you piss it out).  I am sure there are many different ideas but...

Yes I read that about your body slowing natural production, etc which is why I cycle on/off times of equal amount and ONLY use it on days I do weights. 

Seen, I just followed the directions on the back of the tub which said to take it after. IIRC it also said take double the amount for the first week (which I did not do), and cycle on 6 week periods.

Eye in the Sky, if I ever do get into lots of weight-lifting I will take your advice and buy the costco brand, that seems like a pretty good deal. This creatine sh*t kind of sound like a scam to me, I know it works, it just seems really finicky. Thanks for all the replies and info guys, it's all been really useful.

Back