• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Surlpus Humvee

T

Tango2

I'm curious how would one go about getting a Surplus Humvee from the States?  They have surplus sales down there regularly don't they?  Thought it would be cool to bomb around town getting 12MPG.  ;D

Tango

I always wanted to have one too... but your going to get a $40K piece of junk im afraid

40K?  Damn I was thinking more around 10K  true they are bare bones..  Hmmn still a thought.  Would be an interesting personal vehicle, great to get around in during winter or whatever.

Tango

The USMC surplus HMMWV's sell at the auction for about $20,000 US dollars. But they are really stripped (no wipers, seats, doors,etc). However, the mileages tend to be very low, and obviously well maintained by the Corps finest motorpool techs. Problem is they dont pass DOT (Dept Of Transportation) regulations and can be a real pain to get registered and insured.

Another option would be to go through DRMO, this cheaper option would allow for you to piece together a Humvee

A friend of mine has a surplus HUMV, Army, but offiically they are prohibited by US law to sell them.  Not sure how his slipped through the cracks, but I do know it had to sit at the border in the States because if was 14 years old.  Couldn't leave the country unitl it was 15. 

This was several years ago - with the WoT things are probably much more strict regarding the export and import of military items from the United States.

As far as quality goes, this vehicle was a runner and is in excellent shape.  I drove it myself offroad at Maclean Creek here in Alberta and it worked fine.  Even the new ones are kind of clunky - leaky roof, especially, thanks to the weapons mount.

Fun, if you can get them - get a lot of looks on the road when properly painted in Woodlands 3-colour with the proper radio antenna masts tied down, weapons mount in place, MOLLE packs on the front grille, and a cam net rolled on the back. ;D

Oddly enough, I saw a Hummer on the way to the 4WD track at Boat Harbour, near Botany Bay a few months back. It was OD and complete with the kevlar shell, but with civvy NSW number plates on it, and left hand drive still.

It was genuine GI, and looked fine.

They are occasionally sold thru 4WD trading posts etc, as the US Army/USMC train here in the north often. I had seen them advertised before, but this was the 1st military one I have seen in Sydney. There are of course the civvy commercial versions around town in various colours, and converted to right hand drive.

Cheers,

Wes

Hey, Michael Dorosh, I think I know the person to whom you refer. In Calgary right? anyway, his hummer is an '86, so it was a part of the "first batch" that were surplussed from the us army. They actually were not supposed to be sold to civilians, but sent back to the factory to be torn apart. However, a few hundred of them escaped, and a small percentage of those made it to canada. This said person in calgary happened to pay $35k for his (canadian $), and shortly afterwards I had to inform him that the knock in his engine is quite terminal... But that's what he gets for running at the vehicle's top speed down deerfoot with almost no coolant in the damn thing.

Posthumane said:
Hey, Michael Dorosh, I think I know the person to whom you refer. In Calgary right? anyway, his hummer is an '86, so it was a part of the "first batch" that were surplussed from the us army. They actually were not supposed to be sold to civilians, but sent back to the factory to be torn apart. However, a few hundred of them escaped, and a small percentage of those made it to canada. This said person in calgary happened to pay $35k for his (canadian $), and shortly afterwards I had to inform him that the knock in his engine is quite terminal... But that's what he gets for running at the vehicle's top speed down deerfoot with almost no coolant in the damn thing.

;D

Never said he was a mechanic! 

i brought one to sask for about 20 k.
another 6-8k for parts and engine and here she is
IM002844.jpg

Start getting regimental senates to pony up, and we can outfit most Militia regiments! (Seriously, the HUMMER was designed around commercial off the shelf parts, so getting engines, transmissions, brakes and the like should be a no brainer).

hmrbri said:
i brought one to sask for about 20 k.
another 6-8k for parts and engine and here she is.
IM002844%2Ejpg

Thays yours? wow... is it street legal?

Back