• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Switch between NCSE and MSE

TurboToy

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking at getting an offer soon for a naval engineering position. I am curious though, once I get an offer for either of the NCSE and MSE trades, is it possible to change into the other trade if I decide its not for me?

Currently I am looking at getting offered NCSE, but my 1st choice of trade was MSE.  I do not want to turn down an offer to get my "foot through the door" so to speak, but if offered a position I am curious how difficult it is to switch to my desired one.

Thanks all for your input.

At what point in time are we talking? Before you leave fore training, during your training or after you have been doing said job for some time?

It's been said many times here:  Do not accept a job offer just to get your foot in the door.  If you really feel you want your first choice in trades, then wait.

Switching between trades is not as easy as people seem to think it is.  It's not guaranteed either, so think very carefully before you accept.

Keeping in mind that everything is subject to the requirements of the service, it certainly does happen. I applied to switch from MSEO to CSEO around week 7 or basic training, and the switch went through before I left CFLRS. On my NEI course, there were about 7 or so people who made the same switch.

That having been said, I believe that transfers from MSE to CSE will go through more readily, if for no reason other than the fact that CSE is more understrength than MSE is, and is likely to remain so for quite some time.

And yeah, what Moe said. Don't accept an offer if you don't think that you'd be happy staying in that job. Life is about compromises. Perhaps you might not get your favourite super duper job (I, unfortunately, am not currently employed in the Mythbusting industry for example), but if you get one that you can be happy doing, then why not go for it? Do you want to be an MSE vice CSE, or do you need to be one? And for future reference, I suggest that this outlook be applied to postings too. :)

Take this with a grain of salt, I'm just repeating what we were told during the July NOAB.

Apparently all the training for MSE's and CSE's are common up until you finish the Naval Engineering Indoctrination course. Transfers before that point are easy and I was told that it happened quite often.

Again, this may not be the case anymore. I'm just repeating what I was told.

sneaker98 said:
Take this with a grain of salt, I'm just repeating what we were told during the July NOAB.

Apparently all the training for MSE's and CSE's are common up until you finish the Naval Engineering Indoctrination course. Transfers before that point are easy and I was told that it happened quite often.

Again, this may not be the case anymore. I'm just repeating what I was told.

My suspicion is that it is dependent upon availability. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but if they have 20 slots allocated for MSE, and 19 are filled they may allow one person to switch, but if 20/20 are full I don't see why they would overload one course.

If it helps, I am not sure of CSE numbers but I know MSE numbers are low - That is why 'extras' were put through last year - Will this trend continue?? I am not in a position to say either way.

Pat in Halifax said:
If it helps, I am not sure of CSE numbers but I know MSE numbers are low - That is why 'extras' were put through last year - Will this trend continue?? I am not in a position to say either way.
There were more than twice as many MSE's as there were CSE's at the July NOAB - don't know about the October one. But since my group had all of 5 CSE's, well that leads me to believe there'll be lots of room to switch to CSE in the coming while!

Back