• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Switching Trades

kylepenn

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I recently found out that my CFAT scores were good enough for INF and Combat Eng but not competitive enough for this year. Therefore, I switched my trades to ones that I would be more likely to get in, and get in quicker (seen in my story). But with the Iraq situation, do you think that we (Canada) will deploy troops overseas after we just pulled out of Afghanistan?

Also, how hard would it be to switch my file back to INF and Combat ENG? I don't want to keep calling and switching my file, but I thought about it and INF and Combat ENG are careers for me. Any other trade wouldn't be a career but rather just something to put on my resume to help me get into policing or security.
Any info is greatly appreciated, Thanks. 

These are all post BMQ, I'm wondering can I switch my trades back(Pre BMQ), after just switching them. And would it be a big deal to do so? I've only completed the CFAT and yet to continue with processing, due to not having a competitive CFAT score. But I could go to college while I wait to be processed for Infantry or Combat Engineer.

Good day,

I will not speculate on possible future Canadian Armed Forces Operations.

To have a rewarding career serving in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) in the defense of Canada I do not recommend selecting an occupation just to get your foot in the door and wear a uniform. If you do not enjoy the occupation that you have selected then you will most likely not have the positive experience the leads to a long fulfilling career and end up releasing at some point which would result in a vacancy in that occupation that could have been filled by someone that wanted a long lasting career in the occupation.

To change your occupational choice’s back to the one’s that you want to have as a career I recommend that you contact your recruiting center at your earliest convince to inform them of your intent.

Ok so I called way back when you posted this, they told me to just leave it till Jan- Mar and switch back then. So I called Monday to see if they knew when I could switch back to Infantry and Combat Eng, my file manager told me that I didn't qualify for Infantry or Combat Eng. So, I'm really confused now, I talked to her multiple times for updates ( when I had Infantry on my file). After a few months the competitive bar went up and she told me that I wasn't competitive and my file would be closed and I would reopen it in the new fiscal year when the CF needs more Infantry. So I switched trades to prevent it from closing. Now we're here, she says that I didn't qualify and that there isn't a competitive bar... And the set score hasn't changed since she's been there. So, why didnt she saying anything when I called for updates before? I called 3-5 times and everything was good, just waiting to hear from Ottawa to process me.

Is there a competitive bar? Was my file manager still not back from holidays?( mentally) what do I do now? My head is spinning no idea what's going on!

Anything that you know of that might make her think this? Thanks.

The Forces receive thousands of applications a year for the various Combat Arms occupations (ie; Infantry soldier, Artillery soldier, Armoured soldier and Combat Engineer) but only have a limited number of employment opportunities available.  As a result, there is the requirement to establish certain control measures which are necessary for us to effectively manage all the applications which we receive. So whilst an applicant may be found eligible or suitable for their initially chosen occupations, CAF Recruiting cannot process every application, and from time to time it may be necessary for us to reorient applicants towards different occupations in which they have an interest and may be more successful in pursuing based on our needs.

As we are not privy to your personal information, we can only speculate on what may or may not have happened. However, information of this nature should have been conveyed to you at a much earlier date, and in such a manner so as to ensure an understanding of our processes, leaving you with a clearer answer as to which occupations you could possibly be processed for.

Back