• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sworned-In... Then Rejected...

CFEdward

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry, I do not know if this is the right section to post but I need to get this off of my chest... before I burst.

I've finished my application process.. CFAT.. Physical.. Medical.. Interview.. I passed everything (Approx. 3 months). I was sworn-in on February 17th and was ready to go to my Co-Op militia placement on the 24th.

I just got a call.. about an hour ago, saying that I am not eligible for employment in the Canadian Forces and that I may not attend my Co-Op placement tomorrow morning. I was shocked. He told me that my medical papers got sent to Arm O? I don't know what that is, but he said that they determined that I am not suitable and placed me under V5.. but the medical office at the CFRC Toronto put me down as V4..

I wiped out my entire semester for this four credit Co-Op placement in the military, and I get a call the night before I'm supposed to go? I don't understand why I got sworn-in then.

My vision grade at the medical office was 6/12 and 6/120, and my corrected vision that I had a eye doctor exam me for was 6/6 and 6/120. I handed the doctor's note on my corrected vision to the medical office and the medical personnel placed me under V4 on the spot. I was taken to my interview and was given my sworn-in date.

I am very upset with myself, and with the Army. I cannot pick another four courses out of the blue for my school semester, and my Co-Op has already started a week and a half ago. (Other classmates started their Co-Op on the 17th, and I had to wait until tomorrow, which is the 24th, to start my Co-Op).

My dream career is now a no career, and my school semester is messed.

The Co-Op placement was being hosted by 7 Toronto Regiment, I was told at the medical office that I am not eligible for the Co-Op placement, but they called the Army Co-Op Coordinator and she said it was fine, I am not "applying" for the Artillery (Combat Arms, which is V3) but I am going through BMQ and SQ, which is the general training that I'd have to do (even as a V4). So she accepted my Co-Op placement and away I went. She then confirmed my part-time job at the 25 SVC BN after my Co-Op ended.

Hi, your medical file was sent to the RMO who is THE authority for medical status.  V5 means that you can not be employed in the CF, unless there are medical options available.  I'm a V4 and they told me that I'm almost ready to have a dog issued to me.... (I hope they are kidding about that...).  Though I'm interested in hearing more about this Co-Op program that you're in.  It seems interesting.  Please let me know. Thx

I see... and what are the medical options available? I've given 200% in getting enrolled, and when I got accepted, I was thrilled. Now I'm just crushed, and the day before I head out too...
The Co-Op placement is offered for grade 11/12 students in the Toronto and York Region district school boards. The Militia Co-Op program is a four credit course (full work day) offered to the Co-Op student to earn his BMQ and SQ qualifications in the military. Its an approx. 4 month course to complete both BMQ and SQ, and it gives students 4 high school credits for graduation along with a pay check after the Co-Op is over (The Militia Co-Op I believe is one or the only Co-Op placement that pays the students fully, all other Co-Op placements pay with the high school credits).

Sorry, I'm not sure what kind of medical options are out there as I am not a medical staff.  But I have seen files with 'Unfit, med options availble' and 'unfit, no med option, file close'.  Perhaps one of the Med Staffs here can venture a guess?  This Co-Op program sounds interesting, I'm going to see if I can import that to my unit...

Ah, no problem...
Well, I don't know what to do now, I'm not about to give up though. I called Moss Park Armoury and they told me to call back the Sergeant who called me and ask for a RE-BOOK for the medical eye exam. I'm not sure what thats going to do though... but I'm going to give it a shot.

They let you take the WHOLE semester for co-op for 4 credits?! Thats nuts! Here the only offer it in the afternoon for 2 credits.

So I dont understand..shouldn't they have waited for the RMO to give a thumbs up or down BEFORE accepting you?

Unfortunately I didn't get into my local co-op program because my application wasn't process on time. I bet they gave you a thumbs up ahead of time just incase the RMO would've said yes after the program started.

Sorry to hear that dude.

Well.. thats pretty unprofessional seeing as how I spent 3 months for my application process (taking time off school to make the appointment dates), making my family go to my swearing-in ceremony, ruining my school semester and my after high-school RMC interest (I based my grade 12 course selections around RMC...).

Just wondering, did you start the application process in December? I did as well, and both my school and the CFRC told me that I can apply but no garuntees on making it on time for co-op.

Its always a good idea to have a backup if things dont follow through. Is it too late to join courses this semester?

Yes I applied late.. in December. They said that to me too. But I pushed forward and got everything done in time, a week before my Co-Op started (tomorrow).

Well I thought that too.. until I got my certificate at the ceremony. I closed my semester and just waited for tomorrow.

That sucks, but I now how you feel. I rushed home everyday the week before the program started to see if they left any messages. I even went to the CFRC a couple times that week during lunch.

All hope isn't lost though, if they do revise your vision class im sure theres a summer BMQ with your name on it :p

This may seem like an odd question, but is the Army Co-op Coordinator in the recruiting process or is it just someone from your school?  If it's the latter, they would have absolutely no say as to whether or not you are acceptable for military service.  Everyone who enrols in the CF, whether Res or Reg F, co-op student, whatever, must meet the eligibility and medical requirements.  I'm not sure why they swore you in but if you are a V5, you do not meet the medical requirements.

The only way to get enrolled is to have your visual accuity reevaluated.
A new eye examination - and that is the only way this can be turned around.
I have serious doubts that this can be turned around quickly... in time for a late start.

Contact the recruiting people & see what they have to say for themselves & what they can do for you.

Good luck

PMedMoe said:
This may seem like an odd question, but is the Army Co-op Coordinator in the recruiting process or is it just someone from your school?  If it's the latter, they would have absolutely no say as to whether or not you are acceptable for military service.  Everyone who enrols in the CF, whether Res or Reg F, co-op student, whatever, must meet the eligibility and medical requirements.  I'm not sure why they swore you in but if you are a V5, you do not meet the medical requirements.

It was the Army Co-Op Coordinator.

I think what Moe is asking is; Is the Army Co-op co-ordinator a person from your school OR is it a CF member who works in recruiting?

Lil_T said:
I think what Moe is asking is; Is the Army Co-op co-ordinator a person from your school OR is it a CF member who works in recruiting?

A Army Co-Op Coordinator from CFRC Toronto, so yes, a CF member who works in recruiting.

CFEdward said:
A Army Co-Op Coordinator from CFRC Toronto, so yes, a CF member who works in recruiting.

Well, if that's the case, I'm assuming that the Army Co-op Coord is not the final say on your medical status and IMHO, she spoke out of turn.

Well either way, this is not a great experience.

My Co-Op teacher and my parents are trying to find answers for the questions they have regarding why I was contacted the last minute and why I was sworn in if my medical papers haven't yet been approved officially.

As geo said, having another vision test to confirm (or refute) results is necessary.  The rest is totally administrative and someone definitely screwed up.  Sorry for your bad experience.

Back