• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Talk about Racist and Sexist!

Maybe there are clauses that allow for members to be booted off the council - if they acted in an inappropriate manner.  I can't seem to find their Constitution online.  Perhaps there is a method of a popular repeel,  I'm sure someone would be able to collect enough signatures.  Even so I'm sure if someone,  who is a student, went around and collected signatures on a petition asking for the entire student council to resign (or at least the ones who voted for or didn't vote against that action)

OldSolduer said:
Then the students have to vote for change. I don't know what the stats are for student body participation for these elections, but this would be a good start for more participation.

You've hit the nail on the head.  Just like National politics, I have a huge beef when people complain about an elected body when they never even went out and voted.  Granted, most of us here never voted for this student council, but that's because we aren't eligible.

They do have their constitution and some other information online:
Constitution
By-Laws
Policies

Ironically, I can't find any policies online stating what can be done about councillors who vote or act inappropriately.  The most I can find is that members have a right to vote on an appeal against motions passed.

OldSolduer said:
Then the students have to vote for change. I don't know what the stats are for student body participation for these elections, but this would be a good start for more participation.

I have a feeling this will happen next election. No one really cared, figured whats the worst the wacko's could do? Now we know.

OldSolduer said:

The last election when I was at Carleton, I think it was around 10-15% participation. I worked for CUSA for just under 2 years and have to say that it was one of the most ridiculous organizations I have ever seen. I had the misfortune of becoming a union rep for their own unionzed student employees, and at the same time as they were demanding better minimum wages and cheaper student fees, they tried to push a massive pay cut on all the students who worked for them. Other highlights included making ridiculous demands that the student food bank team up with the student gay and lesbian resource centre when it planned events, etc, etc.

The only solution as far as I see it is to make the mandatory contribution to the students union refundable, so that the thousands of students lining up to get their money back might have an impression on the egotistical teenagers who always seem to end up running the place.

And some students are fighting back.....

Article Link

Students fire back in CF charity flap
By AEDAN HELMER, SUN MEDIA
The Ottawa Sun

When the Carleton University Students' Association voted to scrap a popular cystic fibrosis fundraiser because the disease "only affect(s) white people, and primarily men," Christine Skobe was shocked.

But the Carleton student, who was diagnosed with the degenerative disease when she was 12, isn't getting mad. She's trying to get even.

Skobe and 25 other students marched through campus yesterday, collecting donations for the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CCFF) in an impromptu fundraiser.

More on link

I particularly liked this part of the article:

But as CUSA moves into full damage-control mode, a student coalition is forming on campus to impeach CUSA president Brittany Smyth and councillor Donnie Northrup, the student who wrote the controversial motion to scrap Shinerama in favour of "a new broad-reaching charity."

Coun. Kailey Gervais circulated a petition calling for Smyth and Northrup's resignations, and collected more than 500 signatures in two hours.

The two who came up with this lame brain idea should resign without being prompted.

28-11-27 Publication Date

A good letter from Guelph's student newspaper, The Ontarion:

Carleton Student Union Mishap

Here is an interesting tidbit: Carleton has decided to stop participating in Shinerama (a volunteer shoe shining during orientation week used to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis - CF) because CF is has recently been revealed to be primarily a white man's disease. They felt that the disease wasn't inclusive enough to deserve funding – ie: they only want to raise funds for diseases that afflict all races equally. If everybody followed their lead, who knows what diseases would lose their funding - maybe sickle-cell anemia (a disease found more predominantly in black people) is next. I sure hope that when I get older that I get a more worldly disease – maybe cancer, I hear that it's pretty racially inclusive (although certain types are more prevalent in some races/sexes). This is truly political correctness gone wrong. The funny thing is what disease should we support? Malaria? – too geographically limited. Flu? – afflicts old people to a much greater degree. AIDS? – far more prevalent in men. You could probably argue that just about any disease is sexist, ageist, racist, etc. Diseases seem to be the worst discriminators of all! I look forward to seeing a Royal Canadian Air Farce episode about this…

Darryl Bannon

I wonder how much facebook/ myspace hatemail those two are going to get now?  I hope they do get impeached if they don't step down voluntarily.

...and these stupidiots are going to be in charge or our country someday???
If less broader spectrum causes don't get funds, then how are they to get funds???  Call me stupid, but I'd rather give to ONE specific fundraiser than to a blanket one where I CAN decide WHERE my money goes. If I want to give to the Breast cancer people, then I will.  Probably agianst someone's tender sensibilities.
I'm a proud supporter of Scouts Canada, who rely mainly on sponsor's charity and local populace thru fundraisers to keep up funds to send kids to camp and keep youth involved.  We (our local group) do not get funds from United Way and other blanket charities for some reason, so each $$ is needed.
Please support local youth organizations, so we can pass the torch to youth who will be responsible leasders and citizens in thier futures.
:cdn:

Okay,  time to turn this thread about - just a bit. 

Just think about how badly they messed up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ncYaBYgFkE  Shadenfreude

(I'm evil)

Just some more interesting news for you:

The National Post said:
Carleton students petition to impeach union president over cystic fibrosis gaffe

November 28, 2008 by Chris Boutet

Canada
Embarrassed Carleton students are getting closer to ousting the members of their student council responsible for a cystic fibrosis gaffe that garnered national attention.

Frustrated by their student council's recent decision to drop a cystic fibrosis charity as the beneficiary of its annual Shinearama fundraiser because the disease "has been recently revealed to only affect white people, and primarily men," Carleton students are attempting to clear their school's name with a petition to impeach their union president.

The motion to change the frosh week charity passed the Carleton University Students' Association council almost unanimously earlier this week, but a national outcry — including a Facebook group to reinstate the charity that has gathered thousands of members — that followed caused the student association to backtrack Wednesday.

CUSA president Brittany Smyth said she was "very sorry for the confusion" and stated that an emergency meeting of the association's council is planned for next Monday evening and she'll be personally trying to rescind a decision to pull CUSA support for the annual "Shinerama" fundraiser.

But despite CUSA's efforts to backtrack on the controversial decision, a student movement has emerged to impeach Ms. Smyth and councillor Donnie Northrup, the science councillor who wrote the motion.

Spearheaded by Carleton's public affairs councillor Kailey Gervais and student Rebecca Gill, the petition drive to remove Ms. Smyth from office has already collected more than 1,000 of the required 1,250 student signatures — 5% of the total student population— in two days of circulation. A separate petition calling for Mr. Northrup's ouster has collected approximately 40 of the 90 signatures required from students in the science faculty.

"Students have mobilized so quickly in two days," said Ms. Gervais. "I think we're showing that despite the council's actions, students at Carleton are responsible and we don't deserve the reputation we've gotten."

Ultimately, Ms. Gill added, the most important outcome is that Shinearama is officially reinstated, and she anticipates that this will happen at Monday night's meeting. "But this is also about re-establishing Carleton's reputation," she continued. "We want to clear our names, make sure people know that our voices were not represented."

Once the petition drive has reached its goal, the signatures will be sent to Carleton's office of student affairs where they will be validated as coming from students. From there, the petitions will be brought to the attention of student council, which may then choose to put forward a motion to remove Ms. Smyth and Mr. Northrup from office.

I am currently in touch with one of the only two councillors who opposed the motion, and I am trying to work on something to be able to present the online petition to the council in their emergency meeting on Monday.  On-campus has their petition, but this petition comes from the public as well as students, so it too is definitely relevant.  Please make sure your signature is in that petition by Monday morning :)

And now, for some humour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlatQo2yo2g.

One more day for that petition :)

CUSA's meeting is tomorrow at 6:30pm.  I invite anyone in the area to come in and voice their thoughts :)

I'm glad Carlton students are taking a stand, and making sure that those who are suppose to be the figurehead of student needs and opinions are brought to light after this stunt. Cause that is just not on by any means.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The students' association has failed us. After repeated cries from a gallery of students who called for a full apology from CUSA, the overall body simply ignored the students voices. This ignorance continued even after some councillors agreed with the idea of apologizing for the racist and sexist preamble, but it was voted down after a successful councillor's sidetrack which undermined the racism presented against white males.

But hey, they then moved to donate $1,000 to the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation to try and cover up the lack of an apology. It worked. Council passed the motion, but then stopped a progressive call by Nick Bergamini to have the executive donate $35 of their own personal money to make up another $1,000.

Our student government has failed. Instead of addressing the issue at hand they repeatedly sidetracked and ignored calls from students to change their motions. We have been failed.  I urge you to continue to pressure the media to cover this story until CUSA does what's right!

ARMY_101 said:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The students' association has failed us. After repeated cries from a gallery of students who called for a full apology from CUSA, the overall body simply ignored the students voices. This ignorance continued even after some councillors agreed with the idea of apologizing for the racist and sexist preamble, but it was voted down after a successful councillor's sidetrack which undermined the racism presented against white males.

But hey, they then moved to donate $1,000 to the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation to try and cover up the lack of an apology. It worked. Council passed the motion, but then stopped a progressive call by Nick Bergamini to have the executive donate $35 of their own personal money to make up another $1,000.

Our student government has failed. Instead of addressing the issue at hand they repeatedly sidetracked and ignored calls from students to change their motions. We have been failed.  I urge you to continue to pressure the media to cover this story until CUSA does what's right!

Only white males can be racist according to some. :rage:

Of course.  I was amazed yesterday at the racism spewed by Meera Chander, the councillor who seconded the motion to cancel Shinerama funding.  A councillor raised that he, a white male, felt personally discriminated against because the action called out white males through segregating them from other people.  Rather than apologize, Meera minimalized the racism and said it was nothing - rather, she pressed the racism she felt "all her life" was more important, and thus we began a mini-black/white war during the meeting.

ARMY_101 said:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Looks like these council members are all top students in Carleton's Corruption 402 Crse.

ARMY_101 said:
Of course.  I was amazed yesterday at the racism spewed by Meera Chander, the councillor who seconded the motion to cancel Shinerama funding.  A councillor raised that he, a white male, felt personally discriminated against because the action called out white males through segregating them from other people.  Rather than apologize, Meera minimalized the racism and said it was nothing - rather, she pressed the racism she felt "all her life" was more important, and thus we began a mini-black/white war during the meeting.

Racism and Sexism.  Funny how they don't seem to apply to her.  It only reiterates what many feel may be her and her ilk's agenda on council. 

I know she, nor any of her like minded friends, will come on this site, as they would only be Shark Bait and never survive.  I guess they will make places like Rabble.ca their home on-line.

I forgot one important point:

Only white males are racist AND sexist.

I humbly apologize for this oversight.

Wow, and I thought UVic Student Council did it.  Unfortunately CUSA now has taken the cake. 

What is with student politics and its tendency to attract complete and utter morons?  Somehow going to CU doesn't look that attractive anymore.

Back