• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tech trade qualifications

patrick666

Inactive
Reaction score
Currently I am enrolled in a training program in pursuit of my Level 1 Apprenticeship for Electrician (with plans to also pursue the military after completion of education). I mentioned this to the recruiter last week and he said that (though I want to go for Combat Engineer) my new education could open up other vocational opportunities such as Fire Control Systems Tech and something else which I can't remember.

Is there any truth to that? I'm going to the recruiting site to read up on the trades now but I am just weighing my options and finding the niche where I'll be the most cozy.

Cheers

EDIT: The other trade was Electrical Distribution Tech, I believe..

Patrick,

Electrical distribution tech a.k.a ED Tech 642, is the same thing as being an electrician on civvie street. You should try to get this, as you'll be semi-skilled ,you might bypass a fair bit of training too...

There is not a whole lot of position available these days though... I'm a Plumbing & Heating tech myself , I have several ED Tech buddies so if you need some more info, contact me

Thanks Delavan, 'ppreciate the offer...

How much weight does military technical training carry in the civvie side of things? Do your hours count, say, to write your ticket eventually?

Cheers

Patrick H,

Yes you can write your ticket 1 1/2 years after completion of QL5 (journeyman level). The cost of the test (250 bucks in NB) is reimbursed by the BPSO (80% of the cost). Being a tradesman in the military is good because you can be involved with different projects. (you on civvies street ,you may work in the residential only, or being a skilled pipe bender, but no troubleshooting to do, you might be working on large scale projects (doing the same stuff all the time).

We are involved with estimating, project management, execution of the work, from A to Z basically... Most of the time, if you're in charge of the project, you decide of the way to go, type of material... ED Techs do the pole climbing course ,high voltage, fire alarm, runway lighting systems , drafting ,plus the regular electrician training

Two types of posting: Air Force bases, where you do mostly maintenance, and Army bases, mostly projects (building upgrades, new construction, some community involvements "charity causes" like Habitat for Humanity, and the like.

You go overseas too. Camp building (roto 0), maintenance on existing camps, you could go to CFS ALERT (not overseas, but a good experience, to maintain the station up there).

You might deploy with your buddies (Carpenters ,Plumbers, Refrigeration mechanics   EGS Techs...) or on your own ,to replace somebody who's ending his 6 months ROTO.

The School (CFB GAGETOWN, NB) has a lot of facilities ,the indoor training area is good to go...
I assume that if you complete your level 1 and you join as ED TECH, they might write off a part of the QL3 course. Then you go back to the School for you QL5 (journeyman), then QL6A (MCPL or SGT, section commander/project supervisor) then QL6B (Warrant officer-Project manager).

The tradesmens belongs to the Engineers ,not the EMEs though.

FCS TECH seems to be a god job too, your electrical back ground would help you, but get the facts from them dudes...

Hope it helps!

Delavan

Thanks again Del, I was considering FCS Tech as well. I will have a talk with the recruiter about this when I return to hand in my application.

Cheers

I have both the Industrial and Construction/Maintenance Electrical Licences with 20 years experience.
I'm currently in BMQ in a Reserves unit in SW Ont.

ED Tech and FCS Tech are not available in the Reserves at the moment. Therefore I'm going through for RMS after I finish SQ in June /06.

Will they open up the Tech positions to the Reserves at some time ? I would love to work in the Forces with my Trades. In the private world my Licence/Experience is in great shortage and demand. Is it not also in the Forces ?

8) :cdn:

Back