• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

teens views on the army

tykotyko

Inactive
Reaction score
im joining the infantry reserves, when i tell most peers ( teens) at my highschool what i am doing, they get all worried about me getting shiped off to iraq next week or that i have to be transfered to some decolate place like alberta ( i dont mean to offend any alberta citizens) but i think that the cf should show the youth of today that being in the army doesnt mean leaving imediatly. but on the conterary, when i see those commercials about the cf they seem to show all the action, but it lacks to inform the veiwers about the other things involved in the army like the disipline and the harsh physical demands. dont you think??

Personally, I consider the such responses by teens as a generational issue. I don't think only advertising could cure such a views. In fact, short of dictatorship, nothing could ;D. Even in more militarised societies, contra-military views and opinions exist. Pop culture is undoubtedly more of an influense upon the psyche - you would have to change the politic views of the brains behind the music to which they listen, the shows they watch, etc. before any advertising campaign could incur any credible opinion change.

With regards to the CF, I think the majority of opinions of our peers are formed strictly from a combination of pop culture and mis-representation from the news. When you say they worry about you getting sent to Iraq (or is a generalization?), tell them the CF is not in Iraq. Though an ad campaign showing the CF's humanitarian qualities may have some influense, indeed, it is probably more likely to reinforce the more negative public interpretation of the CF's purpose (make them assume the CF is even more a peace-keeping force than before, rather a combat force, thereby lowering their tolerance to missions of danger, possibly importance too).

Cheers

P.S. Alberta and Albertans are wonderful. The only desolate part of the province is the Badlands, and you will never see stars so wonderful as you would in Dinosaur Provincial Park anywhere else in Canada 8)

You know what's messed up? Teenagers in general are clueless about our military. And the thing that really gets me is they ALL think all we do is "peacekeep" and they don't want to join because that's all we do? They're very misinformed and it seems to be because of what the CF is portrayed as, peacekeepers that hand out flowers and band-aids to homeless people in foreign countries, that really doesn't influence people to join the military. I personally have to tell people about the accomplishments of our military, such as our snipers making world record shots, how are military beats the americans during war games, how our training is 6+ months compared to the americans which are only 8 weeks long which makes us probably the best trained soldiers in the world (besides the Israelies...they're crazy I say   :p ), I tell them about JTF-2 and "how ninja they are   ::) ", I personally have to tell people that our soldiers aren't "peacekeepers",   I showed them pictures of our army in action, our navy and air force, I showed them pictures of soldiers doing urban training, I showed them videos of our soldiers in action.

I actually convinced three of my friends about how great our military is...two of my friends are currently in the application process and one of them is joining as a SigOp after June.

I've said it once and i'll say it again...this whole portrayal of our army as prancing hippies who leave a trail of daisies and blow in peoples ears as they walk by to bandage their wounds and cook them a turkey feast while wearing a pink apron needs to be abolished. We need recruiting commericials that show action and pride...soldiers kicking down doors, soldiers clearing building, soldiers doing BMQ and the drill instructors actually yelling..none of this "don't eyeball me soldier"   in a soft voice...we need to show them our CF-18's flying and doing some shooting, we need to show them what our navy does....we need to show them soldiers training...preferably a rock song to go along with it...none of this Enya or peaceful meditating music that puts me to sleep. I swear, everytime I see that recruiting commericial, it hurts my soul and breaks my heart how hurting it is.

I've talked to a few people on here and asked what they think about the recruiting commericial, and we've all come to an agreement. It's definetly not kosher.

I'm sorry I rushed through this and didn't type it out alittle better, but i'm very angry on the whole subject.
Just my two cents.

i too think that recruiting needs to show the veiwers another side of the canadian military. not just the fun shooting things up but the hardships aswell. im joining the army reserves with my buddy and we both agree that when we see the comecials it only shows certian parts of the armys duties, we broght like three other friends to the parade night and after they left there they were freaked out cause they didnt know how serious the army really is. the goverment should imform the civillian population about how the national defence works, mabey have recruiter come into the class be manditory. aslo, i had no clue our training was better thn the americans. thats acually pretty cool. we rock. hopefully "when" i get into the army i will be able to sustain that awesome reputation  :threat:

Where did you hear that our training was better then the Americans? Think of it they have been involved in combat operations continously for the past few years. What should that tell you? I think you should do a search rather then post so you can learn whats a myth and what is not.....

Even though the movie has it's unrealistic points, I would highly recommend going to see "Jarhead". This movie was giving 3 1/2 stars out of 5. I will be back to see the movie in theatres again before it comes out on DVD. There is a thread already started on this film. I would suggest reading the posts, seeing the movie and reading what the critics have to say about it

S.Bradbury

NavyGirl280 said:
Even though the movie has it's unrealistic points, I would highly recommend going to see "Jarhead". This movie was giving 3 1/2 stars out of 5. I will be back to see the movie in theatres again before it comes out on DVD. There is a thread already started on this film. I would suggest reading the posts, seeing the movie and reading what the critics have to say about it

S.Bradbury
Ummm... what does this have to do with what teens think of the army?

Have them watch the movie. Have you seen it? As stated in the other thread, many think about joining the army usually around the time they come "fresh" from high school. Many with intent on blowing shit up and getting their kill. This movie shows them that its not always this way.

In a way you are right.  The first exposure that many teens have to the Military is from Hollywood.  Today, we seldom see any War Epics on the Silver Screen; not like there was twenty or thirty years ago.  Combat related shows like Combat, Rat Patrol, Tour of Duty, etc. are not Prime Time on the major networks.  The odd news clip is all that most teens may see, if they watch the news.  The amount of CF Bases in the country have been decreasing ever since the 1950's, to a state where many Canadians don't even know we have a Military.  US films and TV programs haven't highlighted the CF role in any world events and as such teens haven't seen much of what the CF is about.  Do we really have to wonder, after all this, why they don't understand?

None would understand the pantomine that this guy is doing:  http://www.bigredwolf.com/projects/jumpmaster.mpeg

Love the video Wallace  ;)

I just want whoever is thinking of joining to REALLY think if this is what they want. I won't say all, however, many teens don't "fully" understand what they will encounter in the forces. They walk through the recruiting doors almost blinded by the preception that they do carry of the military. Once in, they have second thoughts and if they are not acted upon during the recruiting process, it's a rather lengthy and difficult process to get out. Not just something they can drop over night. To those of them who do "fully" (because you never "fully" will -LOL-) understand the forces, we welcome you and here's to you ...  :salute:

I am not trying to deter anyone ... just trying to give them a wake up call and maybe a poke in the ribs back to reality

S.Bradbury

The 49th Feild Regiment and The Field Battalian in my area come to our high schools every year and allow us to ask questions and take a look at some of the simpler equipment. needless to say this does generate alot of curiosity in the cf and quite a few people have enlisted. I plan to join them soon!

A.Shackleton  :salute:

A couple weeks a go my school had a Segeant from 2VP come and talk to us about enlisting. He drew a very large crowd and many people were interested in joining up. If you had given the kids the papers they would have signed up, but as soon as he told them that the CF is a peacekeeping force and that the army only trains for peacekeeping, not fighting, he pretty much lost everyone there. I think that he should of highlighted what the CF is doing in Afghanistan, I mean if he was attracting people that way he should have capitalized on that. 

Yes thats true but I also think that teens have the right to know what they are getting into before they sign up.

GGHG_Cadet said:
A couple weeks a go my school had a Sergeant from 2VP come and talk to us about enlisting. He drew a very large crowd and many people were interested in joining up. If you had given the kids the papers they would have signed up, but as soon as he told them that the CF is a peacekeeping force and that the army only trains for peacekeeping, not fighting, he pretty much lost everyone there. I think that he should of highlighted what the CF is doing in Afghanistan, I mean if he was attracting people that way he should have capitalized on that. 

I agree with Bubblez ...

You cannot go to these high schools and "lie" to the teens about the sh*t they will be encountering once signed into the forces. Let them find out from the beginning what the military is all about before they head out for something they're not prepared for. Why set them up for hopes and dreams, if only to shatter them? As I have stated before, and I stand firm to what I said, many teens head into the military feet first, some with no idea what lies ahead. They want to "blow shit up" and "get their kill".

Instead let them find out, and if still interested, "sign their lives away". If not, let them finish high school and take the other path for their lives. Some kids can afford to go to college and make a good life for themselves. Don't get me wrong! I am not saying everyone can afford college (and maybe thats why some turn to the forces) nor am I saying that you won't get a good life from the military. I can honestly say I wouldn't be where I am if not for the Navy. For those of you who have been reading the posts, replying and debating - if you haven't been deterred and ready for a changing pace every moment of your life, welcome to the military!

S.Bradbury

GGHG_Cadet said:
... my school had a Sergeant from 2VP come and talk to us about enlisting.... people were interested in joining up... but as soon as he told them that the CF is a peacekeeping force and that the army only trains for peacekeeping, not fighting, he pretty much lost everyone there.  

Hmmm....He didn't get their attention with the group hugs or his rendition of Coom-by-ya? That sure must have been one heck of a presentation. Methinks either something got lost in the translation or someone wasn't paying too close attention.

That said, it is fortunate that our military is small enough that we don't have to rely on recruiting the truly ignorant or ill informed. Kids will be kids, but there has to be at least a minimal effort made to understand this great big world around you....to include owning a basic understand of your nation's military.

Perhaps it's not so much a shortcoming of the recruiting branch, but an indictment on the sorry state of education of our youth. Maybe the teachers were too busy striking in out in B.C. and had to skip the lesson on basic things ya just gotta know.

P.S. Do us a favour and convince some of your British Columbian peers to move back home. They're crowding out my view of the mountains

kcdist said:
Hmmm....He didn't get their attention with the group hugs or his rendition of Coom-by-ya? That sure must have been one heck of a presentation. Methinks either something got lost in the translation or someone wasn't paying too close attention.

That said, it is fortunate that our military is small enough that we don't have to rely on recruiting the truly ignorant or ill informed. Kids will be kids, but there has to be at least a minimal effort made to understand this great big world around you....to include owning a basic understand of your nation's military.

Perhaps it's not so much a shortcoming of the recruiting branch, but an indictment on the sorry state of education of our youth. Maybe the teachers were too busy striking in out in B.C. and had to skip the lesson on basic things ya just gotta know.

P.S. Do us a favour and convince some of your British Columbian peers to move back home. They're crowding out my view of the mountains

*applauding kcdist*  Couldn't agree more with you ...

A couple weeks a go my school had a Segeant from 2VP come and talk to us about enlisting. He drew a very large crowd and many people were interested in joining up. If you had given the kids the papers they would have signed up, but as soon as he told them that the CF is a peacekeeping force and that the army only trains for peacekeeping, not fighting, he pretty much lost everyone there. I think that he should of highlighted what the CF is doing in Afghanistan, I mean if he was attracting people that way he should have capitalized on that.

Well, did he also happen to mention that only 4 years ago, members of his unit were conducting offensive operations alongside the most elite units in the American army, in some of the most difficult terrain in the world? How about that little peacekeeping fracas a little bit earlier where they fought a pitched battle against an entire Croatian division and won? Despite all this, he actually said that the army "only trains for peacekeeping"? 

Frankly, I find his astonishing modesty a little hard to believe.

IMHO, this Sgt from 2VP should start paying a little more attention to the CDS....perhaps he has a personal bias based on previous "direction" the army leadership has given, but I would venture to say that, had the CDS been presenting, the message would NOT have been the same.

2 cents from me.

I worked recruiting for a little bit.  I would hit a couple of of high schools each week for presentations.

The problem that I found was that the students didn't think of the military in a good way.  They also didn't of the military in a bad way.  It's that they didn't think of the military at all.

An abundance of CF posters, laminated and everything, have appeared all over my school. One is a poster showing every award you can win as a Canadian (essentially), another is one celebrating "Asian Heritage within the CF", another a poster of each class of combat vessel in the navy. So, at the very least, the CF is starting to promote itself.

A general lack of knowledge with regards to the Canadian military after June 6th, 1944, combined with a reliance upon popular media , which popularly promotes an anti-war stand, which by extension, convinces youth of the "evils of the army", has lead to a general fog of ignorance. Either folks have no idea of what the military does (and tend to lump all militaries in either with those of the United States, or Nazi Germany), or they simply have no understanding. Another factor in the view of the CF is the popular misconception of Canadian equipment being crappy, largely the result of watching to many satires (wherein they view some problem with a helicopter), or through other misconceptions (poor funding = bad gear, etc).

Back