• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Telling time in French, got a question or two?

FormerHorseGuard

Reaction score
How would you  write 1230AM using the 24 hour clock in French?
I read on a website it was written as 2430hrs as it was the french way? It that  correct?

https://www.facebook.com/Shawvillefair/posts/594181027288873?comment_id=6284584&offset=0&total_comments=5&notif_t=feed_comment_reply

The 24 hr clock tops out at 2400 which is midnight. You will see 2400 or rarely 0000 hrs. So one minute after midnight is a new day and starts 0001 hrs. So 1230 am is 0030 hrs. 

In a French setting, 0030hrs would normally be expressed as 00h30 (minuit et demi)

StarFury said:
In a French setting, 0030hrs would normally be expressed as 00h30 (minuit et demi)

Yeah, I'm from Newfoundland. Neither English nor French is my first official language. Just be thankful I can cope with the 24 hr clock.  :rofl:

While I've seen 24h00 over and over, it shouldn't exist.

At 23h59 and 59 seconds, it should cycle over to 00h00 and 00 seconds.

Does anyone care I now have Cher "if I could turn back time" stuck in my head?  Freekin discussion forum....

For whatever reason, many folks seem to think that the day ends at 2359 and starts at 0001.  I've always wondered what happens inside those two intervening minutes.  In fact, the above scenario is a fallacy.  QR&O 1.08 states:

(2) Except as may be provided in orders issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff, the first moment of a day shall be expressed as 0000 hours, and the last moment of a day shall be expressed as 2400 hours.

PAdm said:
StarFury said:
Yeah, I'm from Newfoundland. Neither English nor French is my first official language. Just be thankful I can cope with the 24 hr clock.  :rofl:

If you're really from Newfoundland, that time would be expressed as 01h00.

Pusser said:
For whatever reason, many folks seem to think that the day ends at 2359 and starts at 0001.  I've always wondered what happens inside those two intervening minutes.  In fact, the above scenario is a fallacy.  QR&O 1.08 states:

(2) Except as may be provided in orders issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff, the first moment of a day shall be expressed as 0000 hours, and the last moment of a day shall be expressed as 2400 hours.

Thanks. Not logical, but I guess it avoids confusion.

Tetragrammaton said:
Thanks. Not logical, but I guess it avoids confusion.

Agreed and if it really does say that (and I am not doubting you), then essentially we are adding one minute to every 24 hour period - 2400 and 0000 are the same time-That could explain a few things that come out of Ottawa!

Pat
...and ya, that same song started running through my head too!! Must be the heat - at 0700 (that's 7:30 am for you PAdm) it had just topped 30*C with the humidex.

Pat in Halifax said:
Agreed and if it really does say that (and I am not doubting you), then essentially we are adding one minute to every 24 hour period - 2400 and 0000 are the same time-That could explain a few things that come out of Ottawa!

Pat
...and ya, that same song started running through my head too!! Must be the heat - at 0700 (that's 7:30 am for you PAdm) it had just topped 30*C with the humidex.

Well done with the 30 minutes!!

Pat in Halifax said:
Huh???

ISO 8601 uses the 24-hour clock system. The basic format is [hh][mm][ss] and the extended format is [hh]:[mm]:[ss].

[hh] refers to a zero-padded hour between 00 and 24 (where 24 is only used to notate midnight at the end of a calendar day).
    [mm] refers to a zero-padded minute between 00 and 59.
    [ss] refers to a zero-padded second between 00 and 60 (where 60 is only used to notate an added leap second).

So a time might appear as either "134730" in the basic format or "13:47:30" in the extended format.

It is also acceptable to omit lower order time elements for reduced accuracy:[5] [hh]:[mm], [hh][mm] and [hh] are all used. (The use of [hh] alone is considered basic format.)

Midnight is a special case and can be referred to as both "00:00" and "24:00". The notation "00:00" is used at the beginning of a calendar day and is the more frequently used. At the end of a day use "24:00". Note that "2007-04-05T24:00" is the same instant as "2007-04-06T00:00".
-from Wikipedia

Stephan Hawking said "Disorder increases with time because we measure time in the direction in which disorder increases."
And in Ottawa, time is measured in 4-year cycles.

ME

Now that I think about it, it is one second vice one minute. If (as the QR&O states), the last minute is 2400 and the first is 0000, these are actually the same 'second' in time (As the last statement in your reference quote below indicates). Now you have me all buggered up in this heat! That's it, I am going for a drive...in the AIR CONDITIONED car!

Pat (in sweltering Portuguese Cove)

PAdm said:
Does anyone care I now have Cher "if I could turn back time" stuck in my head?  Freekin discussion forum....

Gee. Thanks. Now I've got it too.

PAdm said:
Great. My therapy is knocked back yet another two months....  I wonder what Sonny is up to?

Not a lot. He was killed in a skiing accident in 1998.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_bono

Old Sweat said:
Not a lot. He was killed in a skiing accident in 1998.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_bono

Oh no......  I missed that news story.  I bet Sonny wishes he could turn back time.....(I know, I am going straight to hell).

Back