• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

tess' rememberance day challenge

MasterStryker said:
I totally agree. people just want Rememberance Day to be a holiday so they can get off work or out of school. they SHOULD just take time off to go to a ceremony. I believe that if they get this as a holiday, they will just stay home.

Could not agree more.  Thanks for saying that for me.

That's great, stay home, but all that will be on the television will be live broadcast of the ceremonies.  Then when they are done, they can sit and watch the documentaries.

At the end of the day, they will realize that yes they have the freedom to do what the heck they want on November eleventh, but this freedom was provided to them by the citizens who gave up their freedom so that they may sit on their arse on that day.

dileas

tess

Tess, I agree with your challenge.  I remember as a child in the early  years (1980-1984 or so) we had Nov 11 off from school then it was no longer a holiday BUT we had some very good rememberance day ceremonies at my school (Service would start at about 1000 am or so and continue until 1130 or so. Usually a slide presentation and stuff). 

I wonder if public schools still conduct ceremonies or is this another issue that offends some people?

In Saskatchewan Remembrance Day is a statutory holiday.  Schools and offices are closed.  Retail of course, is open.  In the larger centres schools usually hold a ceremony the last school day before Remembrance Day.  In the smaller centres, the high schools with community support generally organize a ceremony on November 11, even though the school is closed - the reason being quite simple - as in my home town of 500, there are too few Legion members left to organize a ceremony.

It's a far cry from when I was young.  The WWII veterans were then all young vibrant men - the pillars that held up the community.  They deserved our thanks for so many things, coaching and refereeing our hockey games, raising funds to run the rink, the ball diamonds and the swimming pool.  But the one day that we did get to say thanks was on November 11, when they stood proud and straight at the front of the hall.  Some of the proudest moments of my life were those November mornings, when I stood farther back in the hall in my cadet uniform, waiting for the end of the service, when I and two or three of my friends were given the honour of marching with those men through the middle of town as we drummed them to the cenotaph to lay the wreaths and bring the official ceremonies to a close.

Even today, I can't keep a dry eye at 11:00 - I remember those men and their contribution, and their feeling of loss for those who didn't come home.  As a parent, I take it as a big responsiblity every year to spend time talking to my daughters about what the day means, and why it is important to them.  My daughers were honoured a couple of years ago to be able to lay the wreath for their school at the city-wide ceremony in Saskatoon.  Every year, it seems to grow larger.  I wouldn't be surprised to see attendance top 10,000 this year.

Even so, and with the hugest amount of sympathy with the sentiments expressed by Tess - this isn't something you can mandate or force.  The freedom people have to ignore Remembrance Day, is ironically, the most important gift our veterans and fallen have given to each of us.  Moreoever, what I find so heartening is that, even with the growing amount of competition each year with another dozen TV channels and several more big box stores open for shopping, the attendance on November 11 keeps going up and up....  If given freely the respect afforded by the people means so much more.

ArmyRick said:
Tess, I agree with your challenge.  I remember as a child in the early  years (1980-1984 or so) we had Nov 11 off from school then it was no longer a holiday BUT we had some very good rememberance day ceremonies at my school (Service would start at about 1000 am or so and continue until 1130 or so. Usually a slide presentation and stuff). 

I wonder if public schools still conduct ceremonies or is this another issue that offends some people?

I remember when I was a young'in in school, about 90% of the teachers/students just wanted the assembly to get out of class, and the holiday for a day off. It was surprising to see each year that I was the only one from the school at the monument, when there were about 70-80 other students in the immediate area. It was even more surprising to see that apart from the members of the Legion, myself, and a few of their friends and family, there'd be no one to honor those who served, are serving, and those who paid the ultimate price.

Even for the two minutes of silence, there would be cars driving by, etc. It doesn't take much out of your 525,600 yearly minutes to take just 2 to remember them.

http://www.terry-kelly.com/pittance.htm#

I think this video should be played for a week before Remebrance Day, just so it sinks into peoples heads.  I remember back to my air cadet days when we paraded in Dartmouth.  At first I didn't know what was going on or why.  Then it sank in.  Some years it rained, some it snowed, very few were gorgeous sunny skies.  Then it popped into my head as I looked at the Vets standing proud, with thier medals...they went thru a whole lot more sh*t than this so I could be here (I was born in England) The least I can do is stand here for two hours, listen, remember and give thanks.  Years later, in Moncton, I was surprised when we went inside the rink for parade.  It was better weather for the Vets and that's how the city honoured them.  The thunder of applause as the Vets MARCHED in still rings in my ears.  Some hobbled, some had canes or crutches; but they all held their heads high and marched.  I hope I can have that level of pride when I'm that age. 
  Every year, I watch the History channel with my teenage sons during the Remembrance Week.  On the 11th, I go on / to parade and my wife and boys are there too.  They will Never Forget, as we shall Never Forget.
    I will copy and print that letter to send to Ottawa.  They fought for us, now we need to fight for thier Memory.

I like your idea Tess. I believe that Remembrance day should be a mandatory holiday whereby all Canadians should be exposed to a remembrance ceremony, either in public or on TV/Radio,  except for schools, which should spend the entire day discussing issues and facts regarding our Countrys roles in WWI, WWII and Korea, from grade 1 to 12, pause and remember at 11:00 O'clock and sing the national anthem.

This would involve cooperation between the Feds, Provs and School Boards.

Lest we forget!

March on good soldier!

ArmyRick said:

My old high school in Ottawa used to have a big ceremonial type thing where we would watch a slide show and have a re-enactment of some WWI trench. Afterwhich would be a mass and prayers for those who gave their lives to our country. Mind you it was a Catholic high school, so maybe public schools only do the slide-show bit. One year I even made a little flash video dedicated to the fallen of WWII. I should upload it.

I always take time out of my day to go to a Remembrance Day ceremony. Though, for some reason the HS ceremony used to give the impression that the day specifically addressed WWI, and not all conflicts in general.

In Quebec it's not a holiday, but I usually take the day off and got to ceremony in Montreal. I work as software contractor, so it's usually at my own expense to.

While I agree with what has been said, I think it’s infeasible to block all television programming. Networks should be encouraged to have dedicated coverage from about 9:00 to 14:00; anything else is unrealistic.

rw4th said:
While I agree with what has been said, I think it’s infeasible to block all television programming. Networks should be encouraged to have dedicated coverage from about 9:00 to 14:00; anything else is unrealistic.

Why?

I am sure that someone can miss a rerun of Cheers, just one day of their lives.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Why?

I am sure that someone can miss a rerun of Cheers, just one day of their lives.

dileas

tess
In principle I agree with you, in practice it won't happen because they would lose advertising revenue; mid-Afternoon is when all the soap operas and talk shows are aired.

Besides as much as I want people to want to go to ceremonies and remember, the government can’t make them nor can it force networks to broadcast specific material. Personally, I don’t want the memory of people who died protecting our freedom being commemorated by an act of despotism.

They Can budget for it, just like they do for other holidays...Christmas...Easter.....

I am sure that one day of lost revenue from advertising can planned for.  Especially if it is known in advance.  I highly doubt that any network, runs on a day to day shoestring budget, relying solely on each days commercial income

dileas

tess

rw4th said:
Personally, I don’t want the memory of people who died protecting our freedom being commemorated by an act of despotism.
What??

despotism: 1. Rule by or as if by a despot; absolute power or authority. 2. The actions of a despot; tyranny. 3a. A government or political system in which the ruler exercises absolute power: “Kerensky has a place in history, of a brief interlude between despotisms” (William Safire). b. A state so ruled.

We live in a democracy if you hadn't noticed. The government makes laws all the time... you call the making of a Holiday an act of Despotism? By an elected government? That's kind of hypocritical seeing as how that same governments states that thought shall not drive drunk, though shall observe labour day etc.

Funny, but the observance of a National Day of Remebrance for those whom allow us this democracy through their sacrifice is an act of despotism?

I think not, here in Canada the fact that all our great fallen are volunteers is the ultimate mark of Democracy.

Just my .02

rw4th ,

I am only throwing this out on the table here, but I feel you did not read this thread from the beginning.  I would just be rehashing what I have posted earlier if I continue responding to your rhetoric...

dileas

tess

ArmyVern said:
What??

We live in a democracy if you hadn't noticed. The government makes laws all the time... you call the making of a Holiday an act of Despotism? By an elected government? That's kind of hypocritical seeing as how that same governments states that thought shall not drive drunk, though shall observe labour day etc.

Funny, but the observance of a National Day of Remebrance for those whom allow us this democracy through their sacrifice is an act of despotism?

I think not, here in Canada the fact that all our great fallen are volunteers is the ultimate mark of Democracy.

Just my .02

Did you even read my posts?

To sum it up:

1) Remembrance Day as a national holiday where stores are closed (like Christmas) = Good, great, the way it should be, and the way should always have been.

2) Forcing Canadian television networks to broadcast only approved content on that day = wrong.

The government can make it a holiday, run advertisement and awareness campaigns, but in my opinion they cross the line when they start forcing television networks to broadcast approved Remembrance Day content. Next thing you know it will become illegal not to wear a poppy.

Do you get what I’m saying?

the 48th regulator said:
rw4th ,

I am only throwing this out on the table here, but I feel you did not read this thread from the beginning.  I would just be rehashing what I have posted earlier if I continue responding to your rhetoric...

dileas

tess

Ok, I admit, I did skim over some of it and I'm doped up on sinus meds and cough syrup. Anyway, my previous post clarifies what I'm trying to say.

Edited to add: I think I misunderstood some of what was said. See reference to sinus meds and cough syrup  ;)

rw4th said:
Ok, I admit, I did skim over some of it and I'm doped up on sinus meds and cough syrup. Anyway, my previous post clarifies what I'm trying to say.

Edited to add: I think I misunderstood some of what was said. See reference to sinus meds and cough syrup  ;)

rw4th,

No problem,

As long as our media doesn't use the same excuse with regards to their broadcast on November 11th.

dileas

tess

I have written my MP.

I have started an online petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/nov11th/petition.html.  Please let as many people as possible know about it so we can, hopefully, get the government to declare this a national holiday.  To use a cliche, the time is ripe, let's keep the pressure on.

Back