• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thank you for your service

fake penguin

Reaction score
Was reading some responses on how different troops feel about civilians saying to them "thank you for your service." Usually it starts out by a  few veterans saying how they hate it for a few different reasons  followed by a  few civilians getting upset because they  now feels they are being judge by their good jester. Finally other veterans tell the first set of veterans to get over themselves and appreciate the thanks.  Was curious how  people on here feel about it.

This article may be relevant to the discussion,

Why Saying “Thank You for Your Service” Offends Some Veterans
http://inmilitary.com/why-saying-thank-you-for-your-service-offends-some-veterans/

It makes me uncomfortable inside whenever it happens but I always graciously thank the person for saying it. 

I always respond "Thank you for your support". It is an equitable response and both sides walk away feeling good for a bit.

For me, a simple "thank you". And them saying it doesn't make me uncomfortable at all.

My standard response is "It is an honour to serve". 

Sometimes in the US, I amend it to "It is an honour to serve my Queen".  (I am more and more grateful to have the Queen as our Head of State.  Politicians are so uniformly disappointing.)

But I do like the "Thank you for your support" response as well and I think I'll throw if into the mix for variety.

Cheers,

AK

recceguy said:
I always respond "Thank you for your support". It is an equitable response and both sides walk away feeling good for a bit.
+1. That's the best I've been able to come up with as well. It comes up a lot in 'merica.

Thanks, recceguy and AK; I'm one of those who, for a whole hockey sock full of reasons, doesn't like be "thanked' for my service, especially not when I think it's a pro-forma sort of thing ... but I don't want to be churlish (that's a relatively new thing, it must come with old age) so your responses will be a help. I think I might try, "Thanks for your support; it was my honour to serve my country and that's all the thanks I deserve."

I find it odd that I've never had someone say "Thank you for your service" for the countless hours of volunteer time I did with St John Ambulance in the various communities I've lived in over the years, but get it for doing what was my job.  I too am one of those people that gets uncomfortable and sort of mutters "Well Thanks" or things to that effect and tries to redirect.  I'll keep some of these responses in my back pocket...might have to practice them though  ;D.

MM

"The standard service tip around here is 18%".... and hold out your hand.

Glad I could help.  ;)

I have had that said to me now on several visits to the VAC office.  That, really seems strange being trotted out.

jollyjacktar said:
I have had that said to me now on several visits to the VAC office.  That, really seems strange being trotted out.

Hah!!! Another of VAC's disingenuous statements!  [:p

I personally don't like it. I also don't like it when people are insistent on trying to do things for you like buy you coffee or food when in uniform. I am not here to satisfy whatever good feeling your getting out of it, and I am already well paid for the work I do. In general I don't like receiving praise, especially when I am just doing a job. I might appreciate the thanks a bit more if I had just done something directly for that person, but otherwise 'thanks for your service' is a excellent example of the mile wide inch deep support we receive.

My being creeped out by this recent phenomenon in Canada also stems from too many years of stink eye and Hall sex, so to speak, from civilians because I'm military.  This  "thanks stuff" doesn't ring true to my spidey sense and it just doesn't feel right. 

I remember spending two weeks plus after Hurricane Juan, clearing downed trees etc in Halifax neighbourhoods, nevermind seeing to the welfare of my family who were without power for 15 days.  And hearing of civilians grousing that we'll probably want some thanks afterwards for this.  That, feels more natural to me from Canadians.

It's different in the USA if I'm on a port visit and having to wear whites, for example.  I hear the thanks etc, but the American's come across as genuine, not faddish.  Again, I am gracious and thank them,  but I do let them know I'm not one of their chaps.

I do what I do for my brothers and sisters in uniform and my family. 

Guys....take it with thanks and appreciation.....it sure beats being spit on and cursed.... :2c:

I usually just smile and say hello to women and men in uniform. :)

mariomike said:
I usually just smile and say hello to women and men in uniform. :)

When I am in uniform, the women usually smile at me... 8)

There is nothing wrong with a polite reply. I am not the judge of whether their feelings are a mile wide and an inch deep, or visa versa.

For a member to respond otherwise creates conditions for that support to disappear completely. I'm pretty sure if someone, say the GG, decided to buy you a coffee, or say thanks for your service, you'd accept it and respond in kind.

All citizens have equal standing and deserve equal responses.

It costs absolutely nothing to be pleasant and polite, no matter your feelings. Smile say thanks and go home and puke up your bile if you're that inclined to dismiss those, out of hand, that thank you.

Simply my opinion. YMMV.

PPCLI Guy said:
When I am in uniform, the women usually smile at me... 8)

Well, to paraphrase Red Green: "if the women can find you handsome, they should at least find you funny"

;)

GAP said:
Guys....take it with thanks and appreciation.....it sure beats being spit on and cursed.... :2c:

I always thank them, say "you're most welcome" and tell them they're very kind to say so.  No need to be a dick, agreed.

Back