Ottawa's shoddy efforts on Agent Orange dishonour vets
By Bill Dunphy
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jun 18, 2005)
Canada's Department of Veterans Affairs has belatedly taken steps to deal with the growing pile of disability claims from Canadian veterans who fear that military exposure to Agent Orange has left them ill, disabled and even dying.
Sandra Williamson, the department's acting director of programs and policy, revealed yesterday that the department is forming a special review committee to re-examine all failed Agent Orange disability claims and to process what may prove to be a flood of new ones.
"We're encouraging any (veteran) who believes he or she may be suffering illnesses related to Agent Orange exposure to contact us," Williamson said.
Disability claims will be judged on the very latest available scientific evidence, she said.
"We're taking a fair, flexible and reasonable approach," Williamson told me.
"We're encouraging veterans to come forward. They'll be dealt with in as timely a manner as we can."
Two Hamilton veterans have already come forward to say they suspect their Type 2 diabetes (so-called late onset diabetes) may be a direct result of the time they spent at CFB Gagetown in areas used as a testing ground for the toxic defoliant. Both men worry even more serious diseases may follow.
The news broke one month ago after the government finally acknowledged -- in two cases -- that veterans had fallen ill after being exposed to Agent Orange during the little known testing of the powerful herbicide at the Gagetown, New Brunswick, army base in 1966.
One of those two soldiers died before he could receive his disability benefits. A third soldier granted disability benefits was exposed during peace-keeping duty in Vietnam.
The wide use of Agent Orange by the American forces in the Vietnam war has been linked to a series of sometimes fatal cancers and other illnesses, but Canadian authorities had previously denied there were any health risks associated with the Agent Orange testing by American crews at Gagetown.
They have now admitted what some veterans have been saying for years and the only questions that remain are how many others have fallen ill and how many will ever receive disability pensions.
Since they began tracking Agent Orange claims in 2000, Veteran Affairs has accepted two and rejected 23. One of the latter was overturned on appeal last week.
As many as 350 veterans have inquired about making a claim in the past month.
The two Hamilton veterans who say their diabetes may be a direct result of Agent Orange exposure yesterday expressed skepticism about the new special review committee.
"I'm a little skeptical because they've said they're going to do a bunch of stuff, but they never do it," Leslie Kitson said.
Kitson has some experience in the matter.
It took him seven appeals before he was finally granted a 25 per cent disability after a sporting accident in the service left him with permanent double vision in one eye.
His application for benefits for his diabetes was turned down just last year.
"I'll apply again and see what they say," he said.
John Walker's application is still with his doctor, but he too was no more than cautious about yesterday's announcement.
"I'm glad to hear they say they're going to take an interest. Whether they do or not remains to be seen."
Walker is still furious that officials are refusing to notify every soldier who served at Gagetown and may have been exposed.
So furious that last week he tried to get the Hamilton RCMP office to open an investigation of government officials on charges of criminal negligence causing death.
Police considered the matter for several days, then refused to open an investigation, he told me.
Walker's anger is well placed, as is both men's skepticism.
For while the Veteran Affairs announcement sounds like good news, once you lift the curtains, it begins to look more and more like damage control.
Despite the best efforts of a public relations official I could hear whispering answers for her during the hour-long interview, Williamson was forced to admit Veteran Affairs is making no efforts to locate and notify those servicemen and women who may have been exposed to the deadly poison.
She also acknowledged they are making no efforts to use their electronic database of failed disability claims to try to identify potential victims and get them to reapply.
Instead, they're putting a note on their website and counting on the media attention to do their work for them.
And worse, Veterans Affairs has no set standard for what constitutes "exposure" and will decide on a case by case basis.
That's an approach long ago rejected by their counterparts in the United States because of how well near impossible it will be for veterans to prove they were directly exposed 40 years ago. In the U.S., Agent Orange disability claims have long been judged on a "presumptive" basis.
If you have the specific diseases and you served on the ground in Vietnam, it is presumed likely that your disease is caused by Agent Orange.
It's a decision which acknowledges both the scientific uncertainty surrounding exposure issues, as well as the simple gratitude the country owes the men and women who pledge their lives in our service.
Canadian veterans deserve no less.
[email protected]
905-526-3262