• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The BBC sent 10 people to B.C. to travel around the province on public transit. It didn't go well

EVs really only work in urban-ish environments

They do, don't they. Which makes them even more ridiculous. Unless you are the hippie from the lower mainland who doesn't leave Vancouver proper but demands, no votes, for mentally ill criminals who want to mandate them.

I remember my first Maple Flag in Cold Lake ('02), and having a British transport crew mentioning they wanted to pop down to see Banff ont he weekend. When I told them it's an 8 hour drive each way they were a bit taken aback.

Europeans know in a academic way that Canada is huge, but it hits differently when it goes from academic to reality.
We did a camper swap with a British Family back in the 70's. When they arrived here, they thought they do a day trip to Calgary......

They do, don't they. Which makes them even more ridiculous. Unless you are the hippie from the lower mainland who doesn't leave Vancouver proper but demands, no votes, for mentally ill criminals who want to mandate them.
People do EV to Kamloops and back. Well within the capabilities of a Tesla. However even on that trip your recharging points are few and far between. The further North you go, the lower the density of them https://www.plugshare.com/

1680968584946.png

Europeans know in a academic way that Canada is huge, but it hits differently when it goes from academic to reality.
Not just Europeans. A number of years ago we had a rep from one of our US suppliers come up to our GTA location. They mentioned that while they were "in the area" they might pop over to another one of their customers in Thunder Bay. They were shocked when we told them it was around a 14 hour drive away.

There’s actually a lot more farther “north” than I thought there would be.
My guess is the BC government and this map is more optimistic than reality. I suspect that a lot of the stations don't work, have yet to be installed, etc. BC is lucky that we have a large amount of Hydro power to assist in this. But a large number of EV is going to over turn the power distribution market and reduce the price differentials of power sales on a temporal basis. That is going to impact BC Hydro's and the government revenue long term.

Not just Europeans. A number of years ago we had a rep from one of our US suppliers come up to our GTA location. They mentioned that while they were "in the area" they might pop over to another one of their customers in Thunder Bay. They were shocked when we told them it was around a 14 hour drive away.
Even something as simple as Ottawa to Toronto is ~4-5 hours of driving each direction on divided highways at 100-120km/h.

I posted in a FB group made up mostly of Europeans that I was driving to PEI from Ottawa, and it would take about 14 hours. They were blown away by the time and distance. I was more blown away that between fuel and an overnight at a hotel on the way back, it was still more cost effective than flying.

People do EV to Kamloops and back. Well within the capabilities of a Tesla. However even on that trip your recharging points are few and far between.

You'd be foolish to venture past the Vancouver/Kelowna/Kamloops triangle in an EV during the winter. That's a huge risk you're taking assuming that your appliance can be re-charged. I would go to enterprise and rent a gas vehicle for such trips if an EV is all you had. For people who don't take such trips often and stay in their postal codes and have a charger at home, EVs are perfect (if they can afford them but that's separate topic).

You'd be foolish to venture past the Vancouver/Kelowna/Kamloops triangle in an EV during the winter. That's a huge risk you're taking assuming that your appliance can be re-charged. I would go to enterprise and rent a gas vehicle for such trips if an EV is all you had. For people who don't take such trips often and stay in their postal codes and have a charger at home, EVs are perfect (if they can afford them but that's separate topic).
I don't disagree, frankly I think the future for Canada is hybrids where you get the best of both worlds.

I don't disagree, frankly I think the future for Canada is hybrids where you get the best of both worlds.
Given the reliability of modern vehicles, the plug-in hybrid seems like the best compromise for people who only have one vehicle, or need to use their vehicle for longer trips frequently. Sure you have potential for issues from both the gas and electric drive systems, but both are so reliable that it's unlikely to be a major problem.

If you have two vehicles, an EV as a commuter car makes a lot of sense. Even people that do a lot of long range driving still likely do at least 70-80% of their driving inside typical EV range.

Last edited:
EVs aren’t the answer. I guarantee you if we did a cradle to grave enviromental assessment on EVs including everything that goes into making them, the power required to be generated for them, etc. you would likely find them worse than a average car.

No one wants to do that though because there is a industry for EVs and the gov wants to get rid of private vehicle ownership, EVs being the first step of that process.

Hydrogen I think is the most promising for a long term solution.

EVs aren’t the answer. I guarantee you if we did a cradle to grave enviromental assessment on EVs including everything that goes into making them, the power required to be generated for them, etc. you would likely find them worse than a average car.

No one wants to do that though because there is a industry for EVs and the gov wants to get rid of private vehicle ownership, EVs being the first step of that process.

Hydrogen I think is the most promising for a long term solution.
I don't particularly care about the environmental stuff. The convenience of not needing to go to a gas station, fuel savings, and not needing to do as much routine maintenance, makes them an appealing choice as a second car.

I wonder what the trade in value is on a five year old EV that's been charged and recharge 1000 times over it's life?

Rest of my family lives in Okanagan and they went the hybrid route. They still like to venture out in the winter and the trust in full EV is just not there yet.

I wonder what the trade in value is on a five year old EV that's been charged and recharge 1000 times over it's life?
Tesla's are the top of the heap in EV and they invested a lot of time and money into battery thermal management. If you follow the charging guidelines properly, your battery should be at 60-80% after 8 years. However that figure does not hold as well for other makes.

The S model became their symbolic real entry in 2012 into the EV market and makes up a good chunk of the used EV market. Current pricing here in Vancouver on S models 2012-2015 is $35,000 to 55,000, which is pretty good return for the 1st owner. The next question is does the 2nd owner get a good resale value? What about the 3rd owner? It's not uncommon for good ICE used vehicles of the same era to be on their 3rd owner with 200,000+ km on them. Of the S models for sale the majority are at or below 100,000km, with one at 192,000 (That person loved their car)

The real value of a EV is in it's battery and that is the factor that determines the life of the car. EV batteries are complex, while not having moving parts, there are a lot of failure points in the design. I will suggest that people who buy a 4x4 EV pickup and use it for wheeling will be shocked at how short their battery life is going to be.

A look inside a Tesla battery

Tesla's are the top of the heap in EV and they invested a lot of time and money into battery thermal management. If you follow the charging guidelines properly, your battery should be at 60-80% after 8 years. However that figure does not hold as well for other makes.

The S model became their symbolic real entry in 2012 into the EV market and makes up a good chunk of the used EV market. Current pricing here in Vancouver on S models 2012-2015 is $35,000 to 55,000, which is pretty good return for the 1st owner. The next question is does the 2nd owner get a good resale value? What about the 3rd owner? It's not uncommon for good ICE used vehicles of the same era to be on their 3rd owner with 200,000+ km on them. Of the S models for sale the majority are at or below 100,000km, with one at 192,000 (That person loved their car)

The real value of a EV is in it's battery and that is the factor that determines the life of the car. EV batteries are complex, while not having moving parts, there are a lot of failure points in the design. I will suggest that people who buy a 4x4 EV pickup and use it for wheeling will be shocked at how short their battery life is going to be.

I dunno, it would be a bit like buying a cat in a bag. At least when I go to look at a used IC vehicle there are things I can listen and look for. Can't really tell anything by asking the owner to start it and rev it up with a Norelco shaver.

Want to buy a Tesla?

Just wait a little bit longer....

People do EV to Kamloops and back. Well within the capabilities of a Tesla. However even on that trip your recharging points are few and far between. The further North you go, the lower the density of them https://www.plugshare.com/

View attachment 77188
Carry some pigtails and a heavy duty (10ga) extension cord long enough to go from inside a house to the driveway. Pigtails: 120V 30A and 120v 50A RV plugs, a standard dryer plug (240v 30A) and electric oven plug (240V 50A) then your options increase

Carry some pigtails and a heavy duty (10ga) extension cord long enough to go from inside a house to the driveway. Pigtails: 120V 30A and 120v 50A RV plugs, a standard dryer plug (240v 30A) and electric oven plug (240V 50A) then your options increase
There is also a 12volt battery in a Tesla, might be worth putting a charging cable on that as well. Apparently if it fails or goes dead all sorts of systems will not work.

Back