• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Best Course of Action"

Crown-Loyal

Inactive
Reaction score
I have written my RPAT ( still waiting for results. I wrote it Feb.11 ) And I was thinking about what I plan to do in my career as an RCMP member. Without being ( I'm not sure how to put this exactly ) Without being to rude or optimistic I plan to be a Commissioned member later in my career. Would it be best for me to go to University and get a degree before joining or could i do school while in the RCMP by Correspondence ( i believe thats what it is called. ) any input appreciated for members or non-members.

WHOA- One step at a time buddy, get through the process, then get through depot, then get through RFT, develop yourself as a good Cst and then as a  Cpl after at least 8 years and then maybe start thinking about the OCDP. Nevertheless it's great to have a goal.

Noneck

Thanks, ya i know it sounds quite ambitious but i have to set goals for myself or else I woudn't get around to doing anything. I realize I am not even in the RCMP yet....its just a hope that one day I will be a commissioned officer.....but now i am thinking that i should maybe do all my education first.

That's a good idea, depending on where you are posted, it may make it harder to get time off to go to school. However that being said, all that is required for the RCMP is successfull completion of Grade 12 which is known as the RCMP mimimum at time of engagement. At least get a two year post secondary diploma, this will serve you well in the application process as well as shave some time off your degree should you wish to proceed further.

Make sure you have your French!

If you don't already have a couple a two or three years of University under your belt you will find it VERY difficult to get a degree via correspondence.

Studying by correspondence is no picnic.

It is expensive (not sure if the RCMP re-imburse) and it is often difficult to muster the time and discipline to study after a hard day at work. It will also take you a VERY LONG TIME. (5-6 years if you start from scratch).

I would check into the support the RCMP might give you too. Some employers (even ones that ostensibly "support" higher education) have strict policies (and supervisors) that may force you to use vacation days for exams, or deny re-scheduling of shifts if that is "all" you want it for. Ask a serving member of the RCMP for the "skinny" on what really happens down at ground level vs what is stated in the recruiting brochure.

Also, many schools and employers look down on "mail in degrees" and your options at are somewhat limited in terms of which programs you would like to take. (Hard to do chem labs through the mail!!)

If you are planning to go for a degree, do it first. I don't know of one person who is studying by correspondence who has said that;  1) they are on schedule, or 2) "this is great!"

Thanks for the input guys...I will look into it. I guess it would make sense to go to school before I get into the RCMP. If i don't get accepted this year then maybe I will take a couple years off and get a degree. And maybe While doing that I could join the reserves and get some "life experience" maybe. But I am sure joining the reserves for only a couple years is frowned apon. And about the french... I guess it wouldn't hurt to be able to speak both official languages. Thanks again.

Back