• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Blood Pressure Superthread

I used the following formula of 220- my age ( 25 ) and determined that my maximum heart rate is 195 beats per minute.  Following the step test it indicated that my blood pressure was 170/70 which would indicate that I had not breached my maximum heart rate and therefor not exceeded a safety standard for my own physical condition.  I think that for the purposes of my heart rate being taken at the end of the step test was to determine whether my heart rate would decrease enough to a level that I could continue the testing?  So in effect it is not a determination of my resting heart rate or blood pressure in general.   I just calculated my resting heart rate at 9 beats per 10 seconds X 6 = 58 beats per minute which is according to the information that I obtained off of heart rate measurement websites within accetable standards for a person my age.  

My results were as follows ( for heart rate and blood pressure):

Resting Heart Rate BPM = 60
Resting blood pressure Systolic 138  Diastolic 80  
Final pulse after completeing Stage 6 ( final stage ) on step test was 27 beats per 10 seconds or 162 BPM my maximum training capacity is 195 BPM.

Post cardio training results:
170/70 for 2 minute recovery and 138/80 for 4 minute recovery and a final resting pulse of 78 beats after 4 minutes of rest.

My calculated VO2 max was 49.0

The person who gave me my test was very nice and based on my inquiry of my readings she assured me that I have nothing to worry about.   I just hope that they are 100% accurate.  

:salute:

just to update this:

I did testing for my auxiliary police program this evening at 7:00pm and I got the following results

a blood pressure and heart rate of  120/80  and I did 46 consecutive pushups....75 sit ups........... I really hope that my physical results in PT that I did dont hold me back. 

your replies are appreciated and wanted.

Well, I finished the test today, and I passed. I was however shocked at my blood pressure results. Can anyone on here explain the following??? I get to the test, and the instructor takes my readings (BP. 146/85, HR 100), but I had my doctor's consent for the BP, so they let me take the Fitness Test. After the first step test, my BP was 154/87, which was expected, but after my second step test and after 2 min rest, my BP was down to 132/74, and heart rate at 90!!! I will also mention that i was completely relaxed before the initial reading... Anyways, everything else went smooth, and I am happy that I am one step closer to my goal!

Will my initial high reading affect my application status?

Anyways, the whole procedure itself was fairly simple, other than maybe having to keep in a chuckle when first hearing that step music!

You failed to mention whether or not you drank coffee or had a smoke prior to.  These could cause a high reading, albeit only temporary...

I do not smoke, or drink coffee. I made sure not to do anything that would raise my BP or HR.

I call it PSP coat syndrome. Every time I go to the MIR for a BP reading, it's around 130/80, when I go for a PT test it's 145/95. So I always get a chit from the Doc before heading off for my PT test.

You're pumped to do the test and that will increase your BP, it's hard, if not impossible, to keep your BP low when you know damn well you're going to be running in the next 15 min. Just a little bit of anticipation and some nervousness, nothing to worry about and I doubt it will be a problem. It's been a pain in the butt for me at times, but it's never stopped me from doing anything in the CF.

I echo Inch's comments.  I did my test a couple of weeks ago and the staff doing the prep on me told me my blood pressure was a bit high.  Now, that was the first time in my life I'd ever been told my blood pressure was high.  Also, I had it taken by an MO just a few months ago and nothing was out of sorts.  Only explanation can be that it was pre-test anticipation.

I get what the doc calls "white coat hypertension" which basically means everytime I go to the doctor to get my BP it is always higher than normal. I was hooked up to an ambulatory blood pressure monitor for 24hrs and everything was normal.

Also, if you passed the test then no, you're high BP level won't come back to haunt you. They would have told you about any failure.

:cdn: What actually is the acceptable blood pessure range for enrolment? Mine is hovering around 140/82.  :pushup:

I would like to know this answer too. Mine usually hovers in between 130 -135 over 80

Hmmm...
I'm 53 and my BP ranges between 110/75 thru to 120/85

Not bad for an old fart :p

Jordan said:
I would like to know this answer too. Mine usually hovers in between 130 -135 over 80

Jordan, your seem to be in the safe zone. I don't think you need to worry about it too much. I on another hand, have to knock it down 10 points or so.
I tried testing in the local pharmacy, they have these "self service" blood pressure testing machines. and on the sticker it indicates that 140 is high.
My medical is in about 3 weeks and I am getting little bit nervous. No more tea and coffee for me!  ::), and the doughnuts too gone bye, bye.  :crybaby:

Hey Geo,
How do you manage to keep it that low?

Here's a pretty good chart that explains a lot about blood pressure.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medicine/blood-pressure.htm

Mine is normally right around the normal level (and I'm a smoker), although my pulse is usually about 80 bpm (always has been high).
Last time I did the CF ExPres test, the PSP person who took my BP said it was 130/40.  I really doubt the accuracy of that one.  ::)

More info here.

Marinero2008 said:
Hey Geo,
How do you manage to keep it that low?
Heh... everyone knows that RSMs live an exemplary lifestyle ( :p NOT!)
Since I passed on the big stick to my successor  :salute: - No longer have to deal with disciplinary matters very much.....  life is  :boring:

(I've also dropped 50+ Lbs from my chunkiest self)... Flying a desk these days :(

Back