• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Blood Pressure Superthread

Yrys said:
Thank, is that page trustworthy ?

I don't mind wikipedia for history or general informations, but for medical, I would prefer another page or a post (by you or a med) saying it is OK ...

As trusty as Wikipedia normally is.  ;)  Probably good for general info but if you're looking for Medical, check out The Merck Manual online.

geo said:
Since I passed on the big stick to my successor  :salute: - No longer have to deal with disciplinary matters very much.....  life is  :boring:
(I've also dropped 50+ Lbs from my chunkiest self)... Flying a desk these days :(

Ahaaaa!....That explains a lot. I am sure it's a well deserved quiet time Sir. My compliments. I salute!  :salute:

I have a question that sort of applies here - how would having lower than average blood pressure affect a medical check? I've only ever had mine checked when pregnant, and it's gone as low as 90/60 up to about 110/70. I don't know what it would be like normally, but if I had a lower reading during the physical, is that a bad thing?

90/60 is actually kind of normal for women (low end, but normal)...however, if you're getting symptoms like lightheadedness and fainting and have consistently low or lower than normal BP's, then that would present a problem.

Cheers.

MM

Thanks for the clarification! I never get those symptoms at 90/60 - so I guess I should be okay.

I realise this post is a few years old but I was wondering if you passed your medical? I have the same issue bp of 100/70 and a resting rate of 60 beats a minute. I'm overweight but its always been that low. The cardiologist says to keep training and to loose some more weight. Lost 30 lbs this year but have another 30-40 to go. I dropped off the application last week but I haven't heard anything yet. I guess it's a good thing... more time to get into shape  ;D

LuvsMud said:
I realise this post is a few years old but I was wondering if you passed your medical? I have the same issue bp of 100/70 and a resting rate of 60 beats a minute. I'm overweight but its always been that low. The cardiologist says to keep training and to loose some more weight. Lost 30 lbs this year but have another 30-40 to go. I dropped off the application last week but I haven't heard anything yet. I guess it's a good thing... more time to get into shape  ;D

Thats a definite good start.

And I too am curious if this person passed medical after reading.

That poster hasn't been on since March but judging by his last IP, I would have to say that all went very well. ;)

LOL sneaky sneaky Bruce  ;D
I can say that the low blood pressure wasn't an issue during my medical. In fact the technician was impressed, she said it was excellent and I wouldn't keel over from a stroke any time soon ;)

Bruce Monkhouse said:
That poster hasn't been on since March but judging by his last IP, I would have to say that all went very well. ;)

HA. Well done.

Hi Guys,

I have read most of the forums concerning High Blood pressure but i got one question if anyone in my situation or has any advice could offer.  I am already enrolled under ROTP, i got transfered from the primary reserve.  On my entry to the reserves i had the same siutation with elevated BP and had to get a test done by my doctor, came through perfect and joined the reserves.  Now that I am reg. force i am attending a civilian university and going to be shipped to Quebec in a few months for Basic officer training.  I can pretty much guess i am gonna be nervous, hence elevated BP and i dont want to be denied at my express test.  Should i see my local unit medical officer for a permission note, he could pull up my file or something.  Or am i going to have a hard time in quebec?

Thanks a million
BK

I did the express test last night...my bp was a touch high.  The PSP said the cut off is 150/100 which is pretty high.

If it is high why not take some meds to get it under control, ie back into the normal range. I was admitted to the hospital last month for an unrelated problem, but my BP was 174/135 and had been in the 145/100 range for about two months. Until last year it had been basically 120/80 my whole life.  I was prescribed Metoprolol and yesterday it was 118/84, which is a lot easier on every organ in my body. I prolly will be on this or similar meds the rest of my life-it is simply a beta blocker that slows the heart. Only side effect-cold feet!

Some meds will change your cat, (ie I think a G4 med cat will not let you delpoy, and might prevent promotions ).  You can get it simply by being on some bp medication.

150/100 is very high, i think ill be fine then, puts a relief on me, i always have this increase in my systolic number when im getting tested for some reason.  As for the meds, i must admit i got to watch my diet a little more (more bannas and kiwis) and ofcourse maintain a consistent workout, i got my BP tested in december by the physician and it wasnt high. She just said to keep an eye on it but it was 127/75.

Thanks for the advice.

It could be hypertension before doing a test.

I get the same thing.
Ive gone from a 120/90 with a heart rate of 46bpm (at the docs) to a 155/100 with a 88bpm (for psp fitness testing)

They expect you to be completely relaxed before your supposed to exert yourself 100% on a fitness test. I tend to be a little worked up.

Just let them know before hand your blood pressure usually goes up, they will probably have you lay down on a mat for 10-15 mins relaxing then they will test you.
If your still high, they will probably refer you to get a note from your doctor.

BK... if you have gone thru your enrollment... THEY KNOW you have high BP to start with.... don't sweat it so much.
As a reg, your health services are covered.  If the MO thinks you need the medication, you will be put onto the stuff.

have fun in La belle province

This is not an enrolement question, but a deployment question.

What is the maximum blood pressure for a 21 year old to go oversea?
Will they prescribe medication for a 21 year old to reduce bp, for deployment?
Can you be denied deployment for high bp even if you are exempt on all fitness tests?

Also any general suggestions in lowering blood pressure?

Thanks

torunisfun said:
Can you be denied deployment for high bp even if you are exempt on all fitness tests?

I dont have the answers to your questions but let me say this :

Your health and your PT test results are 2 seperate issues. If you are not medicaly fit for deployment then you are not fit for deployment.

Back