• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Brookfield Megathread

DAA said:
No, that's not quite how things work.  Based on past experience, if your current home has already not been sold, the Brookfield Rep/Office will tend to NOT recommend taking an HHT, which is quite common but at the end of the day, it's your CO who is the approving authority and I can't recall anyone ever being denied.  Nevertheless, if your HHT is unsuccessful, for whatever reason (and I can probably figure out why, given it's Alberta) and you choose to relocate "unaccompanied" on a temporary basis, which is your choice, the funds should NOT be recovered.  Your relocation file will remain "open" and you need to continue to explore both your purchase and sale options as quickly as possible.

If you decide to relocate on your own and have your family remain in the current location, then you will be administered under Sect 11.2 of the CFIRP Manual.  Keep in mind, that such a relocation should ONLY be for 6 months in duration at the most but if you think the time could be longer, you need to consider applying for an Imposed Restriction at your earliest opportunity.

The only time HHT benefits would be "recovered", are in circumstances where a complete relocation to the new location never took place.  Example being, if you were posted from Edmonton to Cold Lake, while owning a home in Edmonton.  Relocated to Cold Lake unaccompanied and subsequently posted back to Edmonton, reoccupying your family home.

If you have concerns over what your Brookfield Rep has told you and have questions, I'd suggest you visit your Base Orderly Room and ask to speak with the DND CFIRP Coordinator, who should make themselves available to assist you.

Amazing answer!  That's what I was thinking when I read the policy.  When speaking with Brookfeild direct about it all I got was the standard "It's the policy".  I'll speak with the CFIRP coordinator ASAP.  My only issue is this came from the Brookfield people in Kingston as all the people on my base have quit or are leaving end of this week.  Apparently they are going to rotate staff through from Edmonton until their person being hired is trained. 

armyman7877 said:
We are in the exact same boat as you are!! We are posted out West as well. We have had our home listed since April 1 had three open homes 10 plus viewings and 20,000 dollar price drop. Our agent can't figure out why we are not selling our home shows well but the market is really down out here. I'm going alone in three weeks until our home sell. As far as brookfield goes they told us that they only allow one house hunting trip and one move. We didn't take our yet but are thinking of going anyways because at this point it doesn't matter if we don't sell. They allow you up to six months before you go on Ir. The family will be staying put until the house is sold whenever that is. A few tips they gave us was to add a decorating bonus from your custom to attract buyers. You can do this if your home is on the market for 60 days. Some of our friends have had success by offering a selling bonus to the agent of 1000 dollars if they can sell your home quick.  A few people we know have know have had success by planting a saint joseph statue upside down by there for sale sign. it's may be a long shot but anything is worth a try. Brookefield doesn't pay for it but sometimes Brookfeilds fee can be two low for the agents to push your home in a slow market here they pay 3.8 and the going rate here is  5 percent so adding a 1000 or 2000 may be better then dropping your price say 10000. There are at least five others out West here at this base not selling this year. We are taking a loss at this point but we don't care right now. Sorry for the spelling but I am french.

Economy is hit hard here... on one block alone there are 5 houses for sale!  I understand what your saying about realtor fees.  Our realtor straight up told us that some agents give Government contracts low priority as their commission is higher for others.

armyman7877 said:
We are in the exact same boat as you are!! We are posted out West as well. We have had our home listed since April 1 had three open homes 10 plus viewings and 20,000 dollar price drop. Our agent can't figure out why we are not selling our home shows well but the market is really down out here. I'm going alone in three weeks until our home sell. As far as brookfield goes they told us that they only allow one house hunting trip and one move. We didn't take our yet but are thinking of going anyways because at this point it doesn't matter if we don't sell. They allow you up to six months before you go on Ir. The family will be staying put until the house is sold whenever that is. A few tips they gave us was to add a decorating bonus from your custom to attract buyers. You can do this if your home is on the market for 60 days. Some of our friends have had success by offering a selling bonus to the agent of 1000 dollars if they can sell your home quick.  A few people we know have know have had success by planting a saint joseph statue upside down by there for sale sign. it's may be a long shot but anything is worth a try. Brookefield doesn't pay for it but sometimes Brookfeilds fee can be two low for the agents to push your home in a slow market here they pay 3.8 and the going rate here is  5 percent so adding a 1000 or 2000 may be better then dropping your price say 10000. There are at least five others out West here at this base not selling this year. We are taking a loss at this point but we don't care right now. Sorry for the spelling but I am french.

What sells houses is price. We're starting to see the market turn and people that bought houses less than 3 years ago are very likely going to take losses. This is probably going to be a trend for the next few years. But honestly, if the house isn't selling and isn't getting views than no amount of decorating budgets will sell a house that's over priced by tens of thousands in a saturated market.

Yes that is a good point but We are the lowest priced in our neighborhood at this moment. Three years ago we bought a brand new townhouse but the oil market has crashed and they are now still building a brand new division for home for 20 thousand less then they were selling a few years ago.  Any suggestions Would the best solution be to drop the price more and try to get reimbursed for a loss ? Is this a complicated process?

Armyman7877,
If you are in Cold Lake, here's my advice. Find out which realtors are selling the most houses this year, and if its not yours switch (Donna Michaud used to be the big name in town, but I'm not sure who it is this year). If you want to keep the family together, consider renting it out for the next few years, until the rebound happens. Or be prepared to lose a significant amount, and not get your money back through HEA. The problem with Cold Lake this year is houses aren't selling, because most people can't afford to take the loss. So when TB check to see if the market is depressed, the numbers won't cut it, because nothing is selling.

We have a conditional offer on the house  way below the appraised value on it the other people sell their home. I'm just happy to maybe sell. I have to report to my new base and they informed me I will be living in the shacks  because they have room and have to pay nearly 600 dollars for a ration card until the house is sold and the family moves. We get no separation expense and are a one income family with 3 plus dependents so shelling out 600 bucks is most of our families grocery money now we have to have this deducted off my pay for one person.  losing money on the house is a real hardship. When I complained to Brookfield they said that this is new policy. 

Most bases allow you to delink rations and quarters, as long as there's a kitchenette to cook meals. The ration price is expensive because you're paying for the food they throw out every day, not just what you're eating.

armyman7877 said:
We have a conditional offer on the house  way below the appraised value on it the other people sell their home. I'm just happy to maybe sell. I have to report to my new base and they informed me I will be living in the shacks  because they have room and have to pay nearly 600 dollars for a ration card until the house is sold and the family moves. We get no separation expense and are a one income family with 3 plus dependents so shelling out 600 bucks is most of our families grocery money now we have to have this deducted off my pay for one person.  losing money on the house is a real hardship. When I complained to Brookfield they said that this is new policy.

I thought you're allowed a 6 month unaccompanied that covers food and quarters.

Not sure if this is the right thread.

Quick question, but I may have more to follow:

If a member is on prohibited posting, but their place of duty does not have any military accommodations (no singles quarters, nothing), then where will the CAF expect them to stay? In a hotel at public expense?

Cheers

CBI 208.997 provides details; look for "Separation Expense"

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/ch-208-relocation-benefits.page#sec-208-997

Back