• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Canadian Peacekeeping Myth (Merged Topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Camp Mirage is nice as well and so is Garrison Edmonton. Just pointing out something we're really good at.

Another myth smashed.

I bet this will get minimal play in the national media though...

M.S.

My apologies, I had forgotten about C.M.  Don't know how that slipped my mind.  I'll blame it on age.  Yeah, that is a sweet place.  Airforce though, so I guess some comfort has to be expected. 

I would never belittle them for the airconditioning though, that place is unreal in the summer.

Cheers.

MS... I see nothing wrong with providing our troops with the best facilities we can put on the ground for them.
If Camp Mirage, Julien & Warehouse have been comfortable & safe.... so what?

Apparently certain members of this site believe we must be made to suffer on deployments, with no amenities or comforts - just so we can say "we're hard"....

Ugh.... does that mean we have to take the bullet too?

At least we don't deploy Burger Kings. That's going a bit too far in trying to bring the comforts of home with us on tour...

North Star said:
At least we don't deploy Burger Kings. That's going a bit too far in trying to bring the comforts of home with us on tour...

Hey why not...if you have the capability...

I used to drive to camp Bondsteel just for the BK and the PX

North Star said:
if we had the capability of bringing Timmy's with us everywhere, why the hell not? So we can pretend we're harder than anybody else? A wise ol' EP once told me: "Any idiot can be uncomfortable in the field." If I could hump it, I'd bring a damn laz-e-boy into my hootch, or into my weatherhaven overseas.

I just found it to be an OPSEC problem (even more LEEs), and a bit opulent given the surroudings. I understand that in Afghanistan, a CO wisely decided to stop construction of a camp pool as the majority of the population around them didn't have drinking water.

As for a deployable Tim's if they gave us a donut fryer, tins of coffee, and a set of instruction I wouldn't mind. Just don't need the 17 year old in the brown shirt and funny hat...

Ah!   Come on!   Most of them young girls are kinda cute.   Think of the morale of the boys.   A pretty young thing to hand them their Large Double Double at the Drive-thru as they start the morning heading out on patrol.....

North Star said:
I just found it to be an OPSEC problem (even more LEEs), and a bit opulent given the surroudings.
OPSEC concerns aren't a result of a comfortable camp, they're the result of morons. Morons who give the locals blueprints of a camp, let's say, to take into town for the night. Morons who use non-secure means to transmit orders. Morons who tell the interpreters everything about every patrol, or the laundry dude when he'll be back "Something really cool!" Morons who.....
But the comfort level of a camp has nothing to do with Operational Security.

And opulence is relative, dude. Since the locals live in their own filth, we should do likewise? If so, then we have to stop living in high security compounds, stop seperating ourselves from the populace, and start living in their homes and talking their language and taking a deep, personal, abiding interest in their welfare.

That ain't gonna happen. It would make too much sense. So, this is the best alternative I can think of.

All we gotta do is grab these loudmouthed morons who blow OPSEC and PERSEC by the forelock and throat-punch them into some semblance of a professional soldier.

Whadda you think?

George Wallace said:
Ah!   Come on!   Most of them young girls are kinda cute.   Think of the morale of the boys.   A pretty young thing to hand them their Large Double Double at the Drive-thru as they start the morning heading out on patrol.....

George,

the young ladies.... wearing Chador or Burkha?

All we gotta do is grab these loudmouthed morons who blow OPSEC and PERSEC by the forelock and throat-punch them into some semblance of a professional soldier.

A few well placed extras worked wonders with me when, as a young trooper, I kept forgetting to burn my codes!

I'm sure a similer solution could be implemented without too much worry...But its gotta come from the top down!

geo said:
George,

the young ladies.... wearing Chador or Burkha?

Obviously, you haven't been in a Timmy's near Wal Mart in Ontario on a Saturday night, or the Timmy's in any of the southern Ontario universities. We're training them here for service overseas.

I understand that in Afghanistan, a CO wisely decided to stop construction of a camp pool as the majority of the population around them didn't have drinking water.

I suspect that is a military myth.  Mind you, the Golan Heights has a "firefighting holding facility" with a concrete deck and lawn chairs around it.    ::)

Gunner said:
I suspect that is a military myth.   Mind you, the Golan Heights has a "firefighting holding facility" with a concrete deck and lawn chairs around it.     ::)

Ah yes, the old Golan watering hole. Spent some time refreshing along it's side myself (No tan however, being a red head and all) We did empty it out once though during Roto 67 while fighting numerous fires encircling our lovely haunt after some Syrian sheep decided to wander into the minefields neighbouring us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back