• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Death Benefit For Single Members Merged Thread

exsemjingo said:
Military families cannot be covered under any life insurance policy for death on missions, so the government takes over.  Trouble is, they take over in the same callous way. 

Please ignore the above comments as the poster has obviously never attended a SISIP brief before.  CF members can and do pay into a life insurance plan which fully covers them whilst in theatre.

This extra $250,000 payment is in lieu of SISIP and SDB (yes they still exist Kevin).  This particular payment is from the Department of Veteran Affairs not DND.  It reflects the changes to DVA policies and how the money is distributed.  DVA life long pensions no longer exist, instead we have lump sum cash payments.

This was a poor cabinet decision. 

Although his family are not "dependents" it could be argued they should be provided with less compassion-based compensation, it is insulting that they were deemed to deserve nothing at all for their loss.....

Matthew.  :salute:

DVA life long pensions no longer exist, instead we have lump sum cash payments.

Except those that were awarded a pension before April 1st, 2006, the monthly lifelong payments will continue.

dileas

tess

Cdn Blackshirt said:
This was a poor cabinet decision. 

Although his family are not "dependents" it could be argued they should be provided with less compassion-based compensation, it is insulting that they were deemed to deserve nothing at all for their loss.....

Matthew.   :salute:
wrong. See Dorosh's post above yours for reasons why.

Not sure what everyone is up in arms about. Policy is policy. DVA is sorted out and getting more and more sorted out monthly. 15 years ago, it was invisible. Nowadays, that is all people think about when they stub there toes. (read last sentence with a tinge of sarcasm).

All you leaders out there, use this case as a learning tool for your subordinates. If they are single and live in the barracks, they can still purchase SISIP at outstanding prices. I believe they can name anyone they want as beneficiaries.

Michael Dorosh said:
Did you type that, or did Freud?

Come to think of it, maybe it was Elmer Fudd.... ;D
Typo.... I meant "LIFE" and not WIFE"

geo said:
Typo.... I meant "LIFE" and not WIFE"

Just joshing ya....your intent was clear, just thought it was cute. Who would be brave enough to place a value on their wife, anyway...I mean, in a public forum and all.

Well since they still exist...

Given that SBD is X2 years salary at the current pay rate - and SISIP is an optional $400k (@$28 a month - when I had it)  I am honestly not sure what the argument is.

Cdn Blackshirt said:
Is this pitty money for anybody that loves someone killed on operations?  If it is, then lets give it to parents & siblings even if the soldier was married (because thier loss is not reduced because the soldier was married).

However, I don't think this is a benefit to fallen soldiers (as has been suggested above).  I think this is compensation to the people that lived under the roof & ate the food that the soldier provided.  It is for the tution that the soldier will no longer pay towards a child's university.  It is for the family that just had $50k a year ripped out of its pockets.  This the the governments way to say sorry for the income source we just had taken from you.

I'm not against a showing national sympathy for a family that just lost a loved one on military operations, and we can find something more appropriate than cash hand-outs (the lowest of christmas presents) to acknowledge this loss.  It should be seen as insulting where some above have suggests paying the monetary price of a soldier's life; it is priceless.  Leave the money for those families that have lost income.

Infidel-6 said:
Well since they still exist...

Given that SBD is X2 years salary at the current pay rate - and SISIP is an optional $400k (@$28 a month - when I had it)  I am honestly not sure what the argument is.

Must be a slow news day in Ottawa, that's why all the fuss.  The only MP I heard comment on this in the news cast on the radio was from the NDP.  He was quite PC, too, didn't say "wife", "husband" or "spouse" once, just said "partner".

And you're right, there is no fuss.  The DVA payment is exactly as others have mentioned, to replace lost income due to injury or death.  If it were a lottery ("Son's dead: I win?"), it sure would be a bleak one. 

Having said that, if son (say, a reservist) were living at home with mom and dad and he's KIA AND his supported his parents, well, that's another argument, and one heck of a "what if".

vonGarvin said:
Having said that, if son (say, a reservist) were living at home with mom and dad and he's KIA AND his supported his parents, well, that's another argument, and one heck of a "what if".

It's not really a different argument at all. If you live at home still with Mom and Dad and YOU support them, then it's up to you to take out a life insurance policy for them if you want them taken care of financially if and when you die. Oh bleeding hearts, how is this not fair?

All this is just silly nanny state busy work. If your life is worth something to someone, insure it. That's what SISIP is for.

Soldiers going over ARE briefed about this, but sometimes it isn't hammered home with enough force: You have a serious job with serious responsibilities, and you're playing by the Big Boy Rules™. If someone back home is living on your paycheque and you arrive without insurance then you've arrived unprepared and need to sort that shit out right away.

All this is just silly nanny state busy work. If your life is worth something to someone, insure it. That's what SISIP is for.

Britany, we are not talking about insurance. This is an added Benefit ( lack of a better word) This was put in place for the families and their children to help adjust to the loss of income.

Now in to days day and age even SISIP is not going to help ( some what it will) Like my husband said to me before he left, It is just going to buy a house in Alberta and a little extra. It is not like we can take a million out on our soldiers. The maximum is 400 000 thousand. So many spouses wonder how are they going to support their children with no income coming in. If they do not work or have a good work background, what kind of job can they get. Minimum wage would not support a family. However this added benefit provides some relief for the children's education and necessities of life and give the spouse an education so they can support the family on one income.

You can not put a price on anyones life, However this added bit will help the fallen soldiers families and their kids. So I am all for it.

I sounds like the change in policy was not clearly articulated ( or maybe they just didn't forsee this). I agree with the concept, providing EVERYONE knows it, including the public. Things happen, bad things happen, we just don't think they will happen to us.

Britany, we are not talking about insurance. This is an added Benefit ( lack of a better word) This was put in place for the families and their children to help adjust to the loss of income.

Now in to days day and age even SISIP is not going to help ( some what it will) Like my husband said to me before he left, It is just going to buy a house in Alberta and a little extra. It is not like we can take a million out on our soldiers. The maximum is 400 000 thousand. So many spouses wonder how are they going to support their children with no income coming in. If they do not work or have a good work background, what kind of job can they get. Minimum wage would not support a family. However this added benefit provides some relief for the children's education and necessities of life and give the spouse an education so they can support the family on one income.

You can not put a price on anyones life, However this added bit will help the fallen soldiers families and their kids. So I am all for it.

Yes, and what you've just described is called insurance. You CAN put a price on anyone's life, that's what insurance companies do. It's not very nice but someone has to do it. $400,000 at 8% is $40,740/year for 20 years. More than enough to keep a family from falling into poverty. Lots of widowers and single parents work for a living. I guess I just can't see that as an undue hardship. The money used to pay for more fringe benefits is money that could have bought better armour, better weapons, better training, anything that could save more lives, which I'm sure you'll appreciate a little better than a cash settlement after a death. We are already the world's best payed military but we fly 60 year old aircraft and all our issued equipment sucks.

Everyone wants more money but there's no such thing as a free lunch.

+1 Britney.

Employers on Civi Street sometimes offer insurance plans which tend to cover 2-3x salary. In today's world that really isn't a lot. However, there is nothing stoppiing anyone from getting extra insurance. You can buy inexpensive term life for less than what most of us spend at Hortons monthly. As for not being able to support one's family due to death, it's not the government's fault someone is uneducated or unskilled! Plenty of opportunities to learn and earn.

SDB = Supplementary DEATH BENIFIT...

I fail to see how something is being missed between this (SDB - which equally two years pay - paid out immediately [within 48hrs] to the named benefactor) and SISIP.

Uhm -- this is the ARMY - like it or not folks people die!

NCO's should be taking to explain this little fact to their troops - or they should not be in that position.

Employers on Civi Street sometimes offer insurance plans which tend to cover 2-3x salary. In today's wrold that really isn't a lot. However, there is nothing stopiing anyone from getting extra insurance. You can buy inexpensive term life for less than what most of us spend at Hortons monthly. As for not being able to support one's family due to death, it's not the government's fault someone is uneducated or unskilled! Plenty of opportunies to learn and earn.

Well, civvy life insurance wouldn't really help in this case, with the War and Terrorism clause and all that. I think that having SISIP raise their limit a little, to say maybe 600k, might be helpful for those with the need, but I think the adverse selection problem might be a little too much. If you have 6 kids you'll need other financial planning instruments besides insurance anyway. The current coverage is adequate for most people.

I can't disagree with you that our military needs more equipment. But as some members have pointed out to me on this site. You can have the top of the line equipment and yes it will save life's however life's will still be lost no matter what you have.

Yes I agree it is the army and people die. Going into this tour, our family knew what it might cost us and I am not talking financially.I don't expect this money and until I read this post didn't even realize the government was doing this. This is just given by the government and I am not here debating whether the government should or should not. I don't expect anything for free. However this was someones Else's decision and anything extra always helps in the long run for alot of families. Like some posts mentioned previously. But if someone gave you a new car would you take it? Or would you just say no we don't need it? I know not the best example.

Furthermore, I know single moms do it all the time. I was on of those single mom. I know the hardships etc. I can go on an on about the costs for childcare etc. But this is not the place for this. However we have personal finincially planned for the worst case scenerio. I am lucky enough that I can support my familiy on my income alone but some spouses aren't that lucky.

And your you telling me, my life is more value then my husbands because I am covered for more then 400,000. Most insurance companies will insure you for what you want to pay in premiums. The more money you want ( depending on your health of course) the more you pay.SISP ( as far as my knowledge) is the only place that will insure CF personal. You do not have a choice to pay higher premiums for more coverage. Further more this is a plus for Families,so please don't turn it into a negative thing.This post is off topic and I am sorry but sticking to the original post, this is a great thing that has been provided for families for extra security for a loss of income.

Back