• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Depression / Anti Depressants Merged Thread

sarabcjt said:
Any input would  be appreciated.

Some discussion of the subject here.

Enrollment Medical > The Depression / Anti Depressants Merged Thread 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13192.0

I have my medical in a few days, and I'm just looking for input. I am taking citalopram (celexa) for anxiety issues I had in the past. Now, I know they will question if I still suffer from issues. Given that I do not, I am wondering if they I will be disqualified because I am still on the medication? Or will they simply have me go to my doctor to be examined? I was on reddit where someone told me I have to be off medication for 2 years to pass the medical.

I'm just afraid of something that isn't an issue ruining my chances at a great career.

I have my medical in a few days, and I'm just looking for input. I am taking citalopram (celexa) for anxiety issues I had in the past. Now, I know they will question if I still suffer from issues. Given that I do not, I am wondering if they I will be disqualified because I am still on the medication? Or will they simply have me go to my doctor to be examined? I was on reddit where someone told me I have to be off medication for 2 years to pass the medical.

I'm just afraid of something that isn't an issue ruining my chances at a great career.

sarabcjt said:
I have been treated for depression in the past . Havent been on meds for about 2 years. I was only treated for a year. Was wondering if I still would have at getting in the navy with my husband. Any input would  be appreciated.
Bizzig said:

LOADS of information prior to your posts now that they've been moved into the appropriate thread - read, and learn.

Milnet.ca Staff

Bizzig said:

Welcome to Army.ca, Bizzig.

I'm sure you've read the rules of the road here, which include the concept of "spamming" as, among other definitions, posting the same thing over and over again in different threads.

There's a search function for a reason - your question's been dealt with before.  Search, read and learn.

This is your first friendly warning.  More spamming from you = less access for you around here.

Milnet.ca Staff

My apologies. I realized I posted in the wrong thread, and couldn't figure out how to delete the previous post. Wasn't intentionally spamming.

I have searched and read lots, and received many differing answers. My medical is on Thursday, so we'll see. If I have to wait for a year, I'm fine with that. Just means more time to prepare and learn new skills. Thanks.

Bizzig said:
I have my medical in a few days, and I'm just looking for input. I am taking citalopram (celexa) for anxiety issues I had in the past. Now, I know they will question if I still suffer from issues. Given that I do not,

Honestly, until you're off the medication that's supposed to control the issues, no one can tell if you "still suffer from issues." But you have a great attitude about the likelihood of being told tthat you have to wait. Good luck to you!

It is roughly a minimum of a year after you last take the medication. Celexa may be a mild seratonin inhibitor, but regardless, one year. Work with your Medical Practitioner on the best course of action for removal from the medication and sorting out the issues you are experiencing, then at that point look at applying. Once you're ready, you will be asked to have your doctor fill out a form clearing you fit, and you will be required to provide that during your application.

Good luck.

Mudshuvel said:
It is roughly a minimum of a year after you last take the medication. Celexa may be a mild seratonin inhibitor...

Hate to be pedantic, but it's not a serotonin inhibitor...it's a serotonin reuptake inhibitor - a big difference actually.

MM

medicineman said:
Hate to be pedantic, but it's not a serotonin inhibitor...it's a serotonin reuptake inhibitor - a big difference actually.

MM
Don't apologize - be pedantic on medical issues!  Maybe it will help keep folks with limited insight and knowledge about the medical system in their lanes.

Meh.  The moment they declared them to be STIs instead of STDs the medical community jumped the shark.  >:D

dapaterson said:
Meh.  The moment they declared them to be STIs instead of STDs the medical community jumped the shark.  >:D

:nod:

You have a soft tissue injury where??  :eek:

;)

PMedMoe said:
:nod:

You have a soft tissue injury where??  :eek:

;)

Well, it sure as heck couldn't be a hard tissue injury now could it. ;D

I just wanted to say this to the people weening themselves of anti-depressants.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL, just because you want a career in the CAF doesn't mean you should put yourself in harm.

I only say this because a very close friend on mine, whom I have known for most of life decided to walk in front of a semi-truck in the hopes of killing himself.

No one ever knew he was depressed and his suicide came as a tremendous shock as we were all in high school. So my point is if you do have thoughts of suicide please tell someone.

People might not notice your suffering.

Hello, this is my first post here and I hope I don't mess anything up.

So I have a bit of a problem, and I did not see a similar question asked in this thread or when I searched. Basically I am looking to apply for the Reserve Forces in Saint John, I have yet to apply as I wanted to speak with a recruiter first and I have not been able to contact him. The problem is that about 5 years ago I was going through a fairly tough bout of depression as a result of outside stress. That is to say I had no friends in school, my sister was doing a lot of drugs and getting pregnant causing a lot of stress on the family, and I was having a existential crises trying to reconcile my religious beliefs with my sexuality. The end was result was that I started cutting myself. It's a fairly embarrassing thing to admit, but at the time I didn't feel as if I had another way to release stress. I should note at this point that I was never suicidal, because I know self injury and suicide are often thought to be related. This went on for a period of about four to five months until I realized it was only dragging myself down deeper, so I stopped and never looked back. However I still have a lovely collection of scars on both my arms that are incredibly visible unless I wear long sleeve shirts.

This was back in grade eleven and I'm 23 now, so it's been a while and I've matured a lot. I know at some point the scars are going to be noticed and questioned. The thing is though I never actually went to see a pysch for my depression, and I read that it might be counted against me considering my scars. So my question is firstly; should I see a psychologist to get a clean bill of mental health before applying/going in for medical? and secondly: When would be the best time in the application to broach the issues? I don't want to hold off talking about it, and make them think I was trying to hide the issue, as I know that would just be bad news.

Any advice would be a great help, and I thank you for taking the time to read this even if you do not reply. If these questions have been answered in other threads then I apologize in advance.

M_Smith

I need information to cheer up on. I'm not asking for information that is accurate or professionally. And I'm aware I'll find the answer once I talk to the medical doctor at the Canadian Forces recruit center. I just need some heads up before I speak to the recruit psychologist. Anyways, I've done a re-evaluation on my medical record at the hospital regarding my history with a particular bi-polar disorder. As many of you already know; you can't enroll in the military while diagnosed with any kind of high profile depression (bipolar I, bipolar II etc.). The doctor looked at my medical file and compared it to my evaluation. Her personal opinion was I'm not bi-polar but undergoing through a stage of depression. But consequently its not in her profession to make the call saying that I'm not bi-polar because she needs a third party opinion (in this case the military psychologist). Of course everyone goes through some kind of depression whether its loss of family member, drugs, etc. I just hope some kind of low level depression wont prevent me in becoming a pledged member of the Canadian Forces. Any personal stories or scenarios regarding depression and enrollment would be really appreciate it. I hope this topic will enlightened other and not just for myself.

Thank you for reading.

Triston Arcand

Just a head's up, you will not speak to a military psychologist, much less have some kind of assessment by one. At the recruiting center you will speak, most likely, to a Physician's Assistant who will take a history, do a basic general medical exam, and prepare your file to be sent on to the higher medical authority to make the decision re: medical suitability.

Nudibranch said:
Just a head's up, you will not speak to a military psychologist, much less have some kind of assessment by one. At the recruiting center you will speak, most likely, to a Physician's Assistant who will take a history, do a basic general medical exam, and prepare your file to be sent on to the higher medical authority to make the decision re: medical suitability.

Just a heads up - a personnel selection officer, of which most major CFRC's have at least one, generally have at least one if not 2 pscyh degrees - kinda makes them a psychologist.  Also, a general medical exam does in fact include a basic psychiatric screening whether you realize it or not - as the Med Tech, PA, MO, you're asked to comment on emotional, thought and behavioural patterns you note while examining the person, as well as any extra direct pscyh screenings you feel that need doing.  There are some people that come in that get your neck hair up and you follow up on that as you go through the interview and exam - I've picked up more than my fair share of psych disorders doing a recruit medical that were pretty subtle until I started pushing buttons.

MM

medicineman said:
Just a heads up - a personnel selection officer, of which most major CFRC's have at least one, generally have at least one if not 2 pscyh degrees - kinda makes them a psychologist.  Also, a general medical exam does in fact include a basic psychiatric screening whether you realize it or not - as the Med Tech, PA, MO, you're asked to comment on emotional, thought and behavioural patterns you note while examining the person, as well as any extra direct pscyh screenings you feel that need doing.  There are some people that come in that get your neck hair up and you follow up on that as you go through the interview and exam - I've picked up more than my fair share of psych disorders doing a recruit medical that were pretty subtle until I started pushing buttons.

MM

That's fine, but not what this OP apparently thought would happen - "The doctor looked at my medical file and compared it to my evaluation. Her personal opinion was I'm not bi-polar but undergoing through a stage of depression. But consequently its not in her profession to make the call saying that I'm not bi-polar because she needs a third party opinion (in this case the military psychologist)."

The personnel selection officer, regardless of the number of degrees they have, will not be re-evaluating the OP's medical diagnosis, much less giving an opinion as to whether the dx of BD should be changed to MDD. The OP will not be given a clinical/diagnostic psych assessment (structured interview). She'll be given a basic screening, like anyone else off the street, and since she already has a diagnosis, medically she's beyond the "screening" stage. Screening is to find something you don't know is there. She's looking for a diagnostic 2nd opinion, and neither the personnel selection officer nor the PA will be providing anything like that.

Back