• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The different ranks in FAC and the promotion system

Jeremy971

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I try to understand how to get a promotion in Canadian army since I will soon apply as Officer. I have a mechanical engineering bachelor.
First, to be sure I well understand the system. At the beginning, I will be Officer Cadet. Then Second lieutenant. Then Lieutenant at the end of my training. Finally, after 2 years or 3 years I may be Captain. There are three ranks : Junior Officer/ Senior Officer and General Officer.

I read few articles about promotion system in US army. And what I know it's they need to get recommended by their commander, get the service requirement (time in grade and time in service), the spot need to be free (for instead someone leaving), get good performances (they are evaluated for their training, their service duty, their military formation, etc...), succeed an interview. At some point, every promotions are possible only by your personal records in the army.

Because of that, promotion is hard since it's really competitive. Even if you have the service requirement, you won't get the promotion so easily because there is no position above you opened or because your performances are lower than someone else. Also in US, you don't start like a regular officer but like a reserve officer and you need to wait a position in your branch be available. Is it the same in Canadian army ? I don't find out enough information about promotion system in Canada.

Also the ranks are in US army :
- Enlisted from E1 to E9. E1 to E3 are privates. E4 to E6 are non commissioned officers. E7 to E9 are warrant officers.
- Officers from O2 to O10. O2 to O6 are for commissioned officers and O7 to O10 are for General officers.
Could you tell more about ranks in FAC ?

Finally, I know the success rate in officer program in US is 80%. When I will start my training here in Canada. What are my luck to success my training ? What's the name of the training ?  CFAT ?

Thank you a lot. I researched on this forum and google before posting.

First of all, the Canadian military is very different from the Americans. SO stop look at their system and you will be less confused.
Here are the Canadian Ranks : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Armed_Forces_ranks_and_insignia
NCMs (our version of enlisted) goes from Private to Chief Warrant Officer.
Officers go from Officer-Cadet to General.

You do need a certain amount of time in rank, as well as certain qualifying courses to get promoted. It is also competitive in that if the CAF decides to promote 100 corporals this year, they will rank all the eligible corporals and promote the top 100. If you are 105, you may have to wait until the next year to get promoted. You may also get passed over because there is no money for a move, or no room for the new rank at your unit.

For yourself, you start at OCdt, then move up every couple of years as your performance allows: 2Lt, then Lt, then Captain, Major, etc. Officers do not progress as fast through the ranks and you may spend 10 years or more as a Captain.

Back