• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The End of the Virtual Land of the Free

CBH, Surely you’re not surprised by this. I mean, the guy went surfing on the inaugural Truth and Reconciliation Day…
View attachment 80787
My girlfriend pointed something out roughly a year ago while we were making dinner & chatting in the kitchen...

"Notice how we haven't heard a single peep about that residential school in Kamloops since the election? Like it was all over the media, hundreds of human remains to be excavated, Trudeau declaring National Truth & Reconciliation Day, etc...then after the election, nothing. Not a comment, no articles in the press, absolutely nothing."

It was then that I realized his whole creation of a national holiday based on a real tragic period of relations we had with the indigenous peoples was even more hollow than I had suspected...and no, him surfing on the inaugural of that day absolutely didn't surprise me in the slightest (I'm not sure if 😅 or 🤦🏼‍♂️ or 😞 is most appropriate)

Looks like a deal with google has been reached.

Looks like a deal with google has been reached.
Just saw a news ad on Facebook the other day, with the news agency paying for it to be posted. Still some of the dumbest legislation passed recently.

Just saw a news ad on Facebook the other day, with the news agency paying for it to be posted. Still some of the dumbest legislation passed recently.
$100M ain’t much for the revenues they can charge for ad revenue. The Government dove on this one…Meta’s gonna go for just double-digit millions probably.

$100M ain’t much for the revenues they can charge for ad revenue. The Government dove on this one…Meta’s gonna go for just double-digit millions probably.
Not sure if I read it right but the revenue is pegged at 172m. So not terrible.

But…it’s pretty much the deal google offered a year ago.

Google is a bigger deal than FB in my mind and I’m ok with news not being fed via FB algorithms.

Not sure if I read it right but the revenue is pegged at 172m. So not terrible.

But…it’s pretty much the deal google offered a year ago.

Google is a bigger deal than FB in my mind and I’m ok with news not being fed via FB algorithms.
No, $172M was what the GoC said previously that Google would likely have to spend to comply with C-18…and yet here we are now; Google agreeing to pay (only) $100M and Canada insisting it made “no concessions” in demanding $172M….errrr….I mean, $100M from Google.

I heard this deal referred to as an “accidental win” today. Google could have said “Later, b*tches” and that would have been it.

I heard this deal referred to as an “accidental win” today. Google could have said “Later, b*tches” and that would have been it.
True. And honestly, maybe they should have...

I'm glad to hear Canadian content creators (in this case, the news) are going to be making money, and $100m paid annually is a very nice chunk of change!

(Although not nearly as nice as $172m, but $100m more than they are currently making, yes?)

I still don't really get the whole thing. Like I do get it, from either perspective, but I don't get why this legislation had to get crammed through no matter what - to solve a problem that I'm not sure existed until the LPC said it did...

(Maybe it was an issue before, and I've just been totally ignorant of it. Good possibility of it)

Last edited:
I still don't really get the whole thing. Like I do get it, from either perspective, but I don't get why this legislation had to get crammed through no matter what - to solve a problem that I'm not sure existed until the LPC said it did...
To divert attention away from the issues really threatening the nation's stability and prosperity.

"Shakedown." Glad to see I'm not the only person using that word.

All of the websites that don't qualify to wet their beaks will learn to compete properly. The big ones will continue to gradually strangle themselves. Picking a fight over links is like eating seed corn.

My girlfriend pointed something out roughly a year ago while we were making dinner & chatting in the kitchen...

"Notice how we haven't heard a single peep about that residential school in Kamloops since the election? Like it was all over the media, hundreds of human remains to be excavated, Trudeau declaring National Truth & Reconciliation Day, etc...then after the election, nothing. Not a comment, no articles in the press, absolutely nothing."

It was then that I realized his whole creation of a national holiday based on a real tragic period of relations we had with the indigenous peoples was even more hollow than I had suspected...and no, him surfing on the inaugural of that day absolutely didn't surprise me in the slightest (I'm not sure if 😅 or 🤦🏼‍♂️ or 😞 is most appropriate)
Well there was this, where CBC bravely tried to maintain the narrative https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mani...al-school-no-evidence-human-remains-1.6941441

... $100m paid annually is a very nice chunk of change! ...
The Line podcast broke this down a bit, and if you remove ...
  • however much $ it'll cost to set up a mechanism to distribute this $100M (apparently, Google cuts a cheque and lets GoC/some third party/group (TBD) decide how it's shelled out - and if it's third-party, what'll the overhead be?); and
  • all the money Google paid out to individual media outlets before this global deal was cut (nobody is saying how much money Big Goog was paying out ad hoc, and no longer will be),
... you could be talking about 1/2 of the money being "net new". With much of that maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe going to the Cosmic Butterfly Corporation, depending on how the rules shake out, not exactly huge bucks spread through the legacy print & broadcast media.

As others have said, Google wins (no more managing individual deals, one cheque per year -- as long as it feels like it), GoC can call it a "win" of sorts (that brings in less money than the opening bid, and uh, that's about it). Well played, Team Red Ottawa <slow clap>

We received about 20 inches of snow this week. So……….

8:00 am: I made a snowman.

8:10 - A feminist passed by and asked me why I didn't make a snow woman.

8:15 - So, I made a snow woman.

8:17 - My feminist neighbor complained about the snow woman's voluptuous chest saying it objectified women everywhere.

8:20 - The gay couple living nearby threw a hissy fit and moaned it should have been two snowmen instead.

8:22 - The transgender man / woman / person asked why I didn't just make one snow person with detachable parts.

8:25 - The vegans at the end of the lane complained about the carrot nose, as veggies are food and are not to be used to decorate snow figures.

8:28 - I was being called a racist because the snow person is white.

8:30 - I used food coloring to make the snow person a different color and be more racially inclusive.

8:37 - Then I was accused of using a black face on the snow person.

8:39 - The middle eastern gent across the road demanded the snow woman be completely covered.

8:40 - The police arrived saying someone had been offended.

8:42 - The feminist neighbor complained again that the broomstick of the snow woman needed to be removed because it depicted women in a domestic role.

8:43 - The 'council on equality' officer arrived and threatened me with eviction.

8:45 - TV news crew from ABC showed up. I was asked if I know the difference between snowmen and snow-women? I replied "Snowballs" and am now a sexist.

9:00 - I was on the news as a suspected terrorist, racist, homophobe, and sensibility offender, bent on stirring up trouble during difficult weather.

9:10 - I was asked if I have any accomplices. My children were taken by social services.

9:29 - Far left protesters offended by everything, marched down the street demanding that I be arrested.

9:45 - The boss called and fired me because of the negative association with work that had been all over social media

10:00 - I cry into my drink because all I wanted to do was build a snowman...

Moral: There is no moral to this story. It is what this world has become because of a bunch of snowflakes.

Kevin Sorbo

Back