• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The First Two Dive Course's

Spr.Earl

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
This is a a photo of the first two dive courses given to the Eng. ;)
In the upper left hand corner of the second course is Vic Procure,I first met him in 79 when he was MWO when we were in Germany.

Ha! good to see Bill, Shakey, and Donny when they were young 'uns! I met Bob shaw at the CTC in '86.
Thanks Spr Earl

That's a real cool pic where did you find it?

Mike

Should move this one to the combat dive thread, btw for you dreamers out there, those are rebreathers.

Take care, warriors

Sapper Earl

I am shocked that you would shamelessly exploit the wet and wild Diver site like youhave. But if it drives in readers --- keep it up!!!!

Your man at the Puzzle palace
www.donlowconcrete.com/CDAC

Does anyone know why the combat divers lost the re-breathers?  As Gully so noteably pointed out...we started out with them.  I have little doubt that the re-breathers are a technical piece of equipment, but it's not like we're completely incapable of learning to use them proficiently given half the chance.  Maybe a dedicated dive team for that task...like 2CER tried? I'm not asking why we don't have them now...that has been discussed at nausium...just why we lost them.

Howdy again. Check out my posts on the combat diver thread. Suffice it to say that back in the day, they weren't so concerned with oxygen toxicity, shallow water blackout, or Co2 breakthrough as they are these days, probably because they had a lot more troops, and it cost a lot less to train them. Was this an Engineer only course? I remember learning on my prelim thaty the first courses were combat arms courses, and that once the army realized that we wanted safety standby divers vs underwater death techs, they gave the qual to the engineers, ' cause they had the big trucks to haul the gear.

54/102 CEF said:
Sapper Earl

I am shocked that you would shamelessly exploit the wet and wild Diver site like youhave. But if it drives in readers --- keep it up!!!!

Your man at the Puzzle palace
www.donlowconcrete.com/CDAC
54/102 You shocked? You are tickled pink that I'm picking up the slack for you. ;)
Oh after looking at the photo's again I also worked with Donny Waller in Park Troop when he was in the Dive Sectionin 3Fd.Sqn/1 CER.
The last time I met him was at the last Beaver Spiel in the Cheam Center before the Wack was closed.

54/102 What ever happened about the book on the History of Divers in the Army?
Was it ever published?

Good post kj_gully. Your latest post pretty much summed things up.

I'd love some feedback from'those in the know'. :-[

Out.

Diver409,

You've been pretty quiet lately...where have you been?

S6

Sorry for the late response S6...I've been quite busy. Lots of work in the Ghan means not much time for viewing the site.  Also, it seems like alot of the topics I've been busy in are winding down with all it's questions being answered and all of the comments being rebutted.  I'd probably make a comment or two myself (instead of just responses) but I know Gully is out there waiting to swoop in on the unsuspecting and unaware.  I have some topic knowledge on some things...I think I'll bide my time until I have an intelligent comment to add to a topic I feel I can contribute to. Anyone want to start a strand on tying boots?

Diver409 said:
Sorry for the late response S6...I've been quite busy. Lots of work in the Ghan means not much time for viewing the site.   Also, it seems like alot of the topics I've been busy in are winding down with all it's questions being answered and all of the comments being rebutted.   I'd probably make a comment or two myself (instead of just responses) but I know Gully is out there waiting to swoop in on the unsuspecting and unaware.   I have some topic knowledge on some things...I think I'll bide my time until I have an intelligent comment to add to a topic I feel I can contribute to. Anyone want to start a strand on tying boots?

Diver 409,

I know what you mean, been kinda busy myself lately.  You make a good point that many of the topics have 'dried up' with no new material at this point.  It seems like much of it is drivel of late.  Your point on Gully is a good one - although he's been through a couple of different sissy MOCs of late (  ;) ) he is still lurking out there.  I was on the Cbt Dive course with him in '91 and it doesn't look like he has changed one bit - must be refreshing for the Air Force!

Take care in the 'Ghan and get a dive in at Dubai if you get a chance 'cause there ain't much diving in da 'Ghan!  Always enjoy reading your posts so keep doing so if the thought crosses your mind.  Bubbles Up!  (that was for Gully)

S6

I've actually heard of some doing diving in Dubai...but there are no combat divers here cause they've ceased our dive pay!  I try not to get bitter about it cause they've ceased the jump pay too.  The problem is we're having a little 'excessive water' incursion problem in camp right now and from the looks of it the problem is stemming from an old problem of physics...too much water coming in and not enough going out.  The creek/river is running through the center of camp, the engineers were deployed last night and I didn't touch bed until 00:30hrs.  Earlier I was with Razor & ArmyBuck out in the village looking at where the water splits into the village and into the camp.  The assessment was made on how to combat the problem...while lowly me just watched for bad guys in the engulfing darkness.  At this point the water in camp had not risen to emergency levels, but that wouldn't take long.  We scooted back to camp and stood up our redi-made flow dispersal/dam relief team...then we stood them down.  Then we were on 30 min notice, then 1 hour.  When it was looking like a 'shut er down' scenario...we were told to 'dial it up'.  1 backhoe, 1 motivated engineer section and my G-Wagon carrying the TC, the heavy equip Sgt and 1 MCpl who would accompany me to the dam sight to await the order to bust.  The stream was widened and the order was given.  I tossed my night vision in the wagon, grabbed my shovel, handed my rifle to the MCpl and told him to stand back cause that water is pure sewage and it was gonna get gross.  (yes I did get splashed and I'll be looking at HEP-C shots)
    To make this (already) long story short...after a lot of back and forth over the radios we relocated to inspect the camp stream's exit flow.  They wanted to know if there was an exterior blockage that was keeping the level so high and once we informed them that there was nothing we could do to assist from outside...we were let back in.  Troops...the water is still high but the tent lines are dry and the banks are holding.  Did I mention I love the engineers?  Want my opinion?  Give me Razor as my partner, a couple of fricken contaminated water suits and AGA masks and 20 strong guys to haul our limp asses out of the water after we clear the blockage.  That's just my opinion of course...someone with brains, more experience and a degree will most likely devise and impressive solution.

BUBBLES UP!!

Back