• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Food for Thought…
A history of gun control in Canada.
• In 1913, you required us to have a permit to carry a handgun.
Try 6 months after Confederation & a decade later to go from Shall Issue to May Issue (de facto) for concealed carry. I'd make it all nice and point-form like yours, but I'm busy for the next few hours.
Sadly, edit limit.

Just six months after Confederation, the renewed threat of Fenian-led invasion from the United States prompts the federal government to pass legislation on 21 December 1867 prohibiting the “. . . unlawful training of persons to the use of arms.”

In April of 1877, Liberal Justice Minister Edward Blake tells Parliament that the “. . . practice of carrying firearms is becoming too common . . . they were carried by two classes who ought not to carry them . . . the rowdy and reckless characters, and boys and young men.” His government responds by introducing legislation recognising the defence of self, family or property as the only legitimate reason for carrying a “pistol” or “air gun” upon the person.

this legislation did not outlaw the carrying of firearms upon the person, which was evidently quite widespread, but merely specified that carrying a “pistol” or “air guns” in a manner that would upset the public could result in a possible jail term unless that person could prove that he or she carried a “pistol” or “air gun” because they had “reasonable cause” to fear an assault to self, family or property.

In 1878, alarmed by violent Orange Day rioting in Montreal that is blamed on Irish-Canadians, the federal government reacts by eliminating an accused person’s right to a trial by jury, and orders the licensing of gun owners in proclaimed districts of Canada.

The federal government’s first serious attempt at region-wide gun control occurs after the 1885 rebellion. Parliament bans aboriginals, metis and “disloyal” white settlers in the Northwest Territories from possessing “improved arms” (firearms with rifled barrels) and cartridge ammunition.

In 1892, provisions were introduced into the new Criminal Code requiring handgun owners to obtain a “certificate of exemption” from a justice of the peace if they wanted to carry a handgun on their person outside their home or place of business

The popular belief that “aliens” were genetically inferior, inherently criminal and predisposed to “radical”; i.e., violent, politics is combined with an exaggerated perception of rising violent crime in Canada’s “foreign settlements.” This anti-immigrant hysteria is used to justify handgun licensing and registration laws passed by Ontario in 1911, Manitoba and Saskatchewan in 1912, and British Columbia in March of 1913

Since the new law is administered by predominantly white, Anglo-Saxon police officers, it is fairly self-evident that ‘permits to carry’ were simply not an option open to resident “aliens.”

Following the 1919 Winnipeg General Strike, the federal government responds to the establishment’s fears of Bolshevik revolution, erroneously attributed to non-British “alien scum,” by prohibiting non-British immigrants from owning firearms and ammunition

Government paranoia over a possible Bolshevik revolution peaks in July 1920. The federal government orders the licensing of gun owners and the registration of rifles.

National handgun registration is born in the context of the social and political upheavals of the Great Depression. It is passed on 3 July 1934, having been rushed through Parliament in only ten days.

Confiscating firearms from ethnic minorities, even those individuals who emigrated from nations that Canada was not at war with, was common during the First and Second World Wars. In WW2, registered firearms were confiscated from Japanese-Canadians early in 1940, long before Canada was at war with Japan.

On 2 August 1940, Montreal Mayor Camillien Houde publicly urges male Quebeckers to refuse registering for mandatory military service. The following day the federal government issues an order-in-council under authority of the Defence of Canada Regulations requiring the registration of all rifles and shotguns.

A registration certificate issued under the 1940 OIC contains the name, address and occupation of the owner; the purpose for which the firearm is owned; a description of the firearm; the racial origin of the owner; and, whether or not the owner is a British subject.

While many resident non-British immigrants present firearms for “registration,” RCMP Annual Reports show that the majority of registration certificates that are issued to “aliens” go only to visiting American businessmen and hunters. It appears that most firearms submitted for registration by non-British immigrants are simply confiscated.

Question is - with the addition of the guns to be banned with it - are they confiscating with no compensation...or is there a compensation part of it as well?

If there's a compensation part, then it becomes a money bill....which might make it a confidence vote from the Liberal perspective.

NDP have agreed to vote with the Liberals to sustain the government.

Trudeau might have his election in the spring afterall...

Question is - with the addition of the guns to be banned with it - are they confiscating with no compensation...or is there a compensation part of it as well?

If there's a compensation part, then it becomes a money bill....which might make it a confidence vote from the Liberal perspective.

NDP have agreed to vote with the Liberals to sustain the government.

Trudeau might have his election in the spring afterall...

I have said before. There are rumors from within fortress LPC that their MPs have been told to fund raise and prepare for a spring election.

God I'd love to have a fence beside his place, his rants are highly entertaining.

Ben Shapiroesque almost 😄
He’s actually a street and a small lake across from me, but I’m looking at the back of his house right now…no rant party on the deck at the moment. 😆

How many times have predicting future outcomes of bad laws/polices been labelled conspiracy theory?
world forum GIF

This is not a question designed to elicit a "gotcha" moment; as a non-hunter I am literally just ignorant:

How many of you and/or how often while hunting did you:
a. use a semi-auto rifle while hunting; and
b. actually use the semi-auto function in the process of taking down the animal? (i.e. shoot 2-3 times in quick succession)

I have it in my mind that hunters only ever fire one bullet and one bullet only to take down a target, and I want to figure out if that's a wild and incorrect assumption or not.

This is not a question designed to elicit a "gotcha" moment; as a non-hunter I am literally just ignorant:

b. actually use the semi-auto function in the process of taking down the animal? (i.e. shoot 2-3 times in quick succession)

I have it in my mind that hunters only ever fire one bullet and one bullet only to take down a target, and I want to figure out if that's a wild and incorrect assumption or not.
First question: "what are you hunting?"

If you're varmint hunting, being able to quickly conduct what's called a "follow up shot" is pretty critical.

Ironically, the "black scary gun" people most associate with gun control is primarily used for smaller game.

Depends on what I'm hunting. For migratory bird a semi is almost essential.

I've harvested deer with an M14. I used an M1 Carbine this year. Both semi auto center fire rifles. I really like the rotating bolt action on those rifles. It just feels smooth and ergonomic to me. And the carbine is so light and easy to maneuver in the woods.

Generally if I'm stalking large game I like a semi. If I'm stand hunting I take a bolt gun.

Have I ever needed a follow on shot ? No. But I've hunted with lots of folks who do.

One has to remember hunting isn't the only reason for one to want to own firearms.

One has to remember hunting isn't the only reason for one to want to own firearms.
Yea, no worries, I wasn't arguing against that. I was just contemplating the argument that people have made that "you don't need a semi-auto to hunt". To me it doesn't even matter if that's true, because there are other reasons to have a semi-auto (sport shooting), but then I realized I had no idea if the statement about hunting with semi-autos was true or not.

I have taken down numerous game: ducks, geese, rabbits, deer. In all my time hunting, the only time I fired a second shot was when there were more than enough waterfowl to elicit a second shot, and that was through a 870 Wingmaster, which is a pump, rather than a semi. I didn't know of anyone who used a semi: bolt action check, single shot check, pump action check.

Yea, no worries, I wasn't arguing against that. I was just contemplating the argument that people have made that "you don't need a semi-auto to hunt". To me it doesn't even matter if that's true, because there are other reasons to have a semi-auto (sport shooting), but then I realized I had no idea if the statement about hunting with semi-autos was true or not.

I hear you.

I mean you can hunt just about anything with a single shot Cooey .12ga. But there are much better tools out there.

Back