• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Well, then, it should be super easy for various police forces to arrest and charge these ”legal gun owners.
If there were a single charge laid that supported this narrative Vaughn, Minister Blair and the PM would be all over this like ugly on an ape.

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
There was a gun shop in Burnaby that was importing guns and then selling them under the table (including handguns), they eventually got caught, how they imagined they were going to get away with it, I can't imagine. Went in their once and they were all excited to see me, I guess having a "real customer" was good cover. The place reeked of sketchy and never went back.
Now gun shops are under the direct review of the CFO, so some of the responsibility needs to rest there as well.

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
There was a gun shop in Burnaby that was importing guns and then selling them under the table (including handguns), they eventually got caught, how they imagined they were going to get away with it, I can't imagine.
They count on not being scrutinized due to limited investigative resources the same way impaired drivers count on missing those two or three RIDE checks every weekend.

Imagine what a billion dollars in re-directed ban-and-buyback money could do for policing and border integrity....

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Oops!

I know this is an opinion piece, but it appears that someone didn't really press the "delete" button on the Long Gun Registry. Is this serious? I think so, as it shows contempt for Parliament (and not the only time the RCMP has done so on the gun file). Is Minister Blair next up to issue an apology, using the standard Liberal template?

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Further to my above post, Conservative MP Blaine Calkins is sponsoring another petition for the Liberals to ignore regarding the alleged RCMP retention of Long Gun Registry records, contrary to the will of Parliament.

I'm expecting the Liberal's reply to this petition, when tabled, will be to state something along the lines of "the RCMP knew that the Harper government was compromising public safety in order to pander to Canada's NRA, so they acted in the best interests of all Canadians. This act is completely excusable and we commend the RCMP for taking a principled stand against flawed legislation".

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I signed the petition, no doubt you are right, but I do use it in arguments that the police broke the law and wilfully disobeyed Parliament to people when I debate with them about gun control.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Oops!

I know this is an opinion piece, but it appears that someone didn't really press the "delete" button on the Long Gun Registry. Is this serious? I think so, as it shows contempt for Parliament (and not the only time the RCMP has done so on the gun file). Is Minister Blair next up to issue an apology, using the standard Liberal template?
The RCMP is a bureaucracy like every other department but more so. Bureaucracies don't toss out stuff like this at any time.

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
In May 2021, the CCFR was handed a small victory in that Associate Chief Justice (ACJ) Gagné ruled that the Trudeau government must provide the evidence used to support the May 2020 OIC gun ban to the CCFR for use in their court case against the OIC. The Liberal's position was that the evidence was cabinet confidence and was exempt from disclosure. ACJ Gagné ordered that the evidence was to be provided to her so she could weigh the public interest impact of disclosure.

Of course, the Liberal government refused, citing Section 39 of the Canada Evidence Act which allows the Clerk of the Privy Council to "make secret" any document which is believed would seriously harm the national interest if released.

The Liberal government is thereby saying that the evidence used to support the May 1, 2020 OIC is so damaging, so explosive, so shocking that it cannot be seen by anyone.

...or, maybe...

that the evidence cannot and must not be disclosed because it doesn't exist?

QV

Reaction score
Gotta love that open and transparent government we elected [/sarcasm]
Nobody is immune to bad judgement occasionally, however voting for the Trudeau Liberals was so obviously a poor choice if the voter had been paying any attention at all beyond CBCs top cover. The skewed narrative to justify unnecessary firearm bans is only one very small example.