• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Jarnhamar said:
Bill C71 is crushing through Parliament, there is talk of it being implemented by christmas.
It is now in the Senate.

Jarnhamar said:
Max Bernier didn't bother to even shown up to vote on Bill C71.

Nor did 18 CPC members.  Not that it would've made a difference, because the Bill was destined to pass by virtue of the Liberal majority anyways (bolstered by the near-liberals of the NDP).  However, it would've been nice if they'd showed up even to symbolically vote against it and show their support to law-abiding firearms owners.

[quote author=Haggis]

Nor did 18 CPC members. [/QUOTE]
I seen that, very shitty of them. I hope the members of their ridings give them an ear full.

my72jeep said:
My NDP Member of Parliament voted for it, even after her telling me she knew it was flawed.

**Edit: IAW the site's Political Discourse policy.  **
Staff

The NDP are even more left than the Liberals.  That your NDP member supported the Liberal social agenda should not surprise you.  Legal firearms owners have very, very few allies in the House.

Haggis said:
The NDP are even more left than the Liberals.  That your NDP member supported the Liberal social agenda should not surprise you.  Legal firearms owners have very, very few allies in the House.
I thought she was coming around as her riding is northern ont. She has voted against a few of the UN proposals, she was all for the sniper rifle ban till I schooled her on the use of lee Enfields as the prime sniper platform for the commonwealth and the fact that 90% of the people in the room had one at home.

my72jeep said:
I thought she was coming around as her riding is northern ont. She has voted against a few of the UN proposals, she was all for the sniper rifle ban till I schooled her on the use of lee Enfields as the prime sniper platform for the commonwealth and the fact that 90% of the people in the room had one at home.

Sniper rifle ban ?  Did I miss a timing ?

Halifax Tar said:
It was something the dipers were wailing about a few years back.

Halifax Tar said:

it's also something currently being looked at in Australia, one of the countries Minister Blair and the PM hold out as a successful model of gun control/confiscation.  Some Australians who own "very powerful firearms" are being asked by the police to justify their continued ownership and demonstrate proficiency in order to continue to possess them. Canada's anti-gun lobby has already drawn parallels between "hunting" and "sniper" rifles, a move which should concern sportsmen should a handgun and "assault weapons" ban become reality.

Jarnhamar said:
I seen that, very shitty of them. I hope the members of their ridings give them an ear full.

Do we know where they were or what they were doing? I'll reserve judgement till I know that.

Here's the government's public consultation questionnaire. Pretty obvious the direction their taking. Fill it out. You know the gungrabbers are going to fill it out dozens of times each. No retreat, no surrender!

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/cnslttns/hndgn/index-en.aspx

Fishbone Jones said:
Here's the government's public consultation questionnaire. Pretty obvious the direction their taking. Fill it out. You know the gungrabbers are going to fill it out dozens of times each. No retreat, no surrender!

Using the shit show US federal weapons ban as a definition base for assault weapons?

"Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator"

How deadly.

"https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban#Criteria_of_an_assault_weapon

Besides didn't the US assault weapons ban prove to be ineffective in lowering crime rates/shootings?

Jarnhamar, the policy paper attached to the survey is actually pretty good. It notes (amongst other things) that the US Assualt weapons ban had no real effect on violent crime in the US; that violent crime is on a general decline in Canada but that the vast majority of gun violence is gang related and there is not really any good data that legal gun ownership is problematic.

So basically, this Government is trying to solve that does't exist.

Spread the word- every gun owner needs to fill his survey out!

Jarnhamar said:
Using the crap show US federal weapons ban as a definition base for assault weapons?

"Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator"

How deadly.

"https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban#Criteria_of_an_assault_weapon

Besides didn't the US assault weapons ban prove to be ineffective in lowering crime rates/shootings?
Since when did semi auto qualify for assault status?

Make sure you do your part and answer the government survey...

my72jeep said:
Since when did semi auto qualify for assault status?

Since it became the most convenient definition to benefit the predetermined outcome.

ModlrMike said:
It certainly has a "zero sum" flavour about it.

The fact that the last firearms related question is, "Are there any other comments you would like to share with respect to limiting firearms?" would indicate that the fix is in.

I suppose we could hope they drop a writ before this gets moving through Parliament. Then it could die on the floor. They can't really campaign until the writ is dropped so the longer they wait, the less campaigning he can do. And I'm pretty sure the PM wants to campaign as much as possible. Hopefully, they'll want this as an election issue to get the gungrabber vote. All this is just spit balling and wishful hoping.

SeaKingTacco said:
Jarnhamar, the policy paper attached to the survey is actually pretty good. It notes (amongst other things) that the US Assualt weapons ban had no real effect on violent crime in the US; that violent crime is on a general decline in Canada but that the vast majority of gun violence is gang related and there is not really any good data that legal gun ownership is problematic.

So basically, this Government is trying to solve that does't exist.

Spread the word- every gun owner needs to fill his survey out!

Thanks, I should have read it in hindsight.

I'll jump on board and fill out the survey as well but I still think the Liberal government will only hear what it wants to hear. If enough responders want guns taken away from lawful owners they'll run with the results like they did that erroneous report from the random Toronto police detective.
If the survey goes against what they want to hear then they'll spin it one way or another and just approach the issue from a different angle.

The survey is set up to target lawful gun owners along with criminals, it's pretty blantent in it's bias.

I guess there's a small victory in denying them a small piece of propaganda.

I mentioned a while ago I was pleasantly surprised the Liberals seemed to be leaving gun owners alone and wondered if they were holding the issue as an ace up their sleeve for closer to election time. Thinking I was right.

E-petition, sponsored by Michelle Rempel, against a handgun ban.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Sign/e-1883

Back