• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

There have been a number of incidents that have eroded the publics faith in LE, Uvalde clown show was just the icing.
Rule #1: ABC (Always be Carrying) for you can only count on yourself.

One tends not to get a lot of press when LE shows up quickly and does the job - like the below
It's the classic "nobody needs a gun" .... that is.... "until they really do" and then they wish they had one 😉

I don't think you're wrong. I think the public, rightly, expects POs to move towards the danger or threat and take personal injury and death as a very real possibility of that employment. And that sacrifice is expected to try and save the victims.

I also think the vast majority of POs are willing to do that.
That's why the Army has this clever little trick:

They historically have employed DYMs in junior leadership roles. Otherwise known as Dumb Young Men. It takes a special type of idiot to yell "follow me" when SHTF 😎

It's the classic "nobody needs a gun" .... that is.... "until they really do" and then they wish they had one 😉

That's why the Army has this clever little trick:

They historically have employed DYMs in junior leadership roles. Otherwise known as Dumb Young Men. It takes a special type of idiot to yell "follow me" when SHTF 😎

Some people are the sheepdog, some people are the sheep... ;)

I know it's a forlorn hope, but with Canada current PAL system, a CCW program under the current ATC's would be quite doable and the quality of successful candidates would be quite high. A number of years ago there was a big push to get the ATC for the protection of life (aka ATC 3) One of the requirement was "acceptable level of training". There was a lot of people writing their CFO's to lay out what that training standard was. The CFO's refused to divulge what they considered acceptable because they knew that a course would be developed and people would meet and exceed that requirement, removing yet another obstacle to the permit. At this point the ATC 3 is a "Illusionary permit" to borrow a phrase from another area of law.

I know it's a forlorn hope, but with Canada current PAL system, a CCW program under the current ATC's would be quite doable and the quality of successful candidates would be quite high. A number of years ago there was a big push to get the ATC for the protection of life (aka ATC 3) One of the requirement was "acceptable level of training". There was a lot of people writing their CFO's to lay out what that training standard was. The CFO's refused to divulge what they considered acceptable because they knew that a course would be developed and people would meet and exceed that requirement, removing yet another obstacle to the permit. At this point the ATC 3 is a "Illusionary permit" to borrow a phrase from another area of law.

My understanding is we do have citizens with CCW but its a small number and the RCMP/CFO wont divulge the number.

My understanding is we do have citizens with CCW but its a small number and the RCMP/CFO wont divulge the number.
Last I heard the number was less than 5 for all of Canada. Back in the 70's a lot of businessmen had permits and every bank was required to have a gun on the premise.

Last I heard the number was less than 5 for all of Canada. Back in the 70's a lot of businessmen had permits and every bank was required to have a gun on the premise.
As of 2019 there was a single ATC for personal protection issued in Canada. Not sure if it’s changed since. I have no idea the circumstances; I would guess it’s someone at extreme danger of violence from organized crime, and obviously who can qualify for a gun license, which rules out most people who would fit that first criteria. Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if it’s a former police officer who did some solid undercover work or something.

Back in the 70's a lot of businessmen had permits and every bank was required to have a gun on the premise.

Norm Gardiner legally carried, and used it on Steeles Ave. W. in 1992.

Male bank staff used to practice their marksmanship at the old Bank of Toronto building.

"( Bank manager ) Elwood grabbed a fully loaded .38 calibre revolver that was kept in the teller's drawer and set off in pursuit. The robber attempted to commandeer a car parked in front of the bank. The manager charged out of the bank and emptied the five shot revolver at the robber, but all the bullets missed.
Toronto Star
May 19, 1955. Toronto Dominion Bank at Dundas and McCaul.

Although the banks don't appear to have taken security very seriously, they did issue handguns to bank staff with the expectation that if there was a hold-up, they would shoot back. There was even a secret downtown firing range in the old Bank of Toronto building where managers and tellers were expected to practice regularly. This ended only in the late 1950s after a bank staff member was killed by a ricocheting shot meant for a robber.

Edwin Alonzo Boyd: The Story of the Notorious Boyd Gang​

Not according to the article:

"It will be mandatory for owners to take part in the buyback program, have their designated firearms rendered inoperable at the government's expense or otherwise lawfully disposed of."

But until we see the actual price list and amplifying information who knows.

Firearm is the receiver.
If I was in your shoes I’d strip it of everything that I could and surrender any lowers that hadn’t been lost in my tragic boating accident

Firearm is the receiver.
If I was in your shoes I’d strip it of everything that I could and surrender any lowers that hadn’t been lost in my tragic boating accident
Both the uppers and lowers were prohibited by OIC. Both must be turned in along with any functional parts (bolts, bolt carriers, trigger groups etc.).

I suspect there will be no compensation for any accessories. I also would not put it past this government to deem the Compensated Confiscation (TM) payment as "taxable income" which must be reported when filing next year.

I suspect there will be no compensation for any accessories. I also would not put it past this government to deem the Compensated Confiscation (TM) payment as "taxable income" which must be reported when filing next year.
1659043359800.gif

If your registration says rifle, that's the whole shebang. They'll want, at least, the upper and lower receiver.

Mine are all registered as stripped lower only. That's all they get. That and an extra couple of thou out of each hole, just in case.😉

Good luck finding a gunsmith to do the work of deactivating. All of the ones that I have spoken to are refusing to do deactivations as a result of this OIC, as a method of protest.

Back