• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
pbi said:
Maybe the answer is to establish a system of rural "special constables" or " police reserve" who are deputized to act as peace officers, and authorized to be armed in their duties.

As it stands now, "Auxiliaries will be under the direct supervision of an RCMP police officer, and will have peace officer status."

Altair said:
So you would understand if I was talking about Car Hire Sir

Obviously.

I'd be nterested to hear your views on the Swiss Arms incident as well as High River.

Upcoming gun bill ‘scaring the hell out of the Liberal caucus,’ and Trudeau’s response to Harvey’s concerns puts a chill on backbenchers, say Liberals

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s angry response to a rural MP’s concerns raised at a recent national caucus meeting on the Hill over the government’s upcoming gun legislation did not go over well with some Liberal MPs who say it will have a “chilling” effect on their ability to speak candidly at the closed-door meetings.

According to Liberal MPs and insiders, Mr. Trudeau (Papineau, Que.) verbally “attacked” rookie Liberal MP T.J. Harvey (Tobique-Mactaquac, N.B.), chair of the Liberal rural caucus, during the Feb. 28 national caucus meeting on Parliament Hill. Mr. Harvey stood up to say that there was a “lack” of meaningful consultation with the caucus over the government’s upcoming gun control legislation.

More on link:
https://www.hilltimes.com/2018/03/12/upcoming-gun-legislation-scaring-hell-liberal-caucus-pm-trudeaus-vitriolic-response-grit-mp-harveys-concerns-put/137000

Colour me shocked that the chief virtue signaller of Canada would provide vitriolic attacks instead of rational debate on gun control.

Jarnhamar said:
Probably going to classify all semi-automatic firearms as restricted.

God I hope not.  Wonder what that would mean for us folks with no RPAL but with Semi Auto guns...

Halifax Tar said:
God I hope not.  Wonder what that would mean for us folks with no RPAL but with Semi Auto guns...

You're clearly a criminal and a mass murderer just waiting for an opportunity.

Halifax Tar said:

$180 RPal license IF you can find an instructor.  Who would probably triple the price or more because of demand.
$100-$1000 to join a restricted gun range IF there is one in your driving area and BIG IF there isn't a waiting list, which I've seen can be 2+ years.
Probably additional cost per firearm to register (RCMP charged me to replace restricted cirt's in the past when 2 got destroyed)
Maybe additional money put into your storage set up.

Rhetorical question I know :)

Halifax Tar said:

Sell them quick or turn them in. As we have no property rights in Canada, you probably won't be compensated either. We'll just have to wait and see what kind of smozzle Trudeau and Goodale come up with. According to what I've seen, the liebral caucus wasn't even consulted, the PMO and a few others decided what they consider the way ahead for millions of gun owners in Canada. Sounds more like a communist troika of Butts, Trudeau and Goodale deciding what they consider good for us.

If it gets crazy like that, and ends up as such, PM me what you want to get rid of and what you expect for it, and if I still hold all the classifications I have (no guarantee there) we might be able to make a deal. It's too early to tell what kind of idiocy to expect though. Just putting it out there for future consideration.

recceguy said:
Sell them quick or turn them in. As we have no property rights in Canada, you probably won't be compensated either. We'll just have to wait and see what kind of smozzle Trudeau and Goodale come up with. According to what I've seen, the liebral caucus wasn't even consulted, the PMO and a few others decided what they consider the way ahead for millions of gun owners in Canada. Sounds more like a communist troika of Butts, Trudeau and Goodale deciding what they consider good for us.

If it gets crazy like that, and ends up as such, PM me what you want to get rid of and what you expect for it, and if I still hold all the classifications I have (no guarantee there) we might be able to make a deal. It's too early to tell what kind of idiocy to expect though. Just putting it out there for future consideration.

I appreciate the offer.  We will have to wait and see I guess.  This would be a sure way for libs to lose a lot of seats.

Halifax Tar said:
I appreciate the offer.  We will have to wait and see I guess.  This would be a sure way for libs to lose a lot of seats.

I'll leave the loss of seats and defeat to a different thread. I certainly didn't care for the description the PM gave of HIS new laws. They sound fairly ominous and almost if there are two sets of rules coming. One for urban owners and one for rural. To me, it sounded like he wants central storage in town, but that's conjecture. We'll have to wait and see what that big brain on Trudeau lets go of.

Off to home depot for some 10" ABS pipe and a box of cleanout caps.  Thank god for GPS.

Kat Stevens said:
Off to home depot for some 10" ABS pipe and a box of cleanout caps.  Thank god for GPS.

That's one idea. Since the long gun registry went down, there is no record of private long gun sales or trades for anything not restricted or prohibited. They would have a hard time proving you owned any of them. Any gun bought new, will be registered at the store. Do I still have that gun? No Sir, sold it to a stranger that had a valid PAL. No Sir, I don't recall his name. We learned what happened the last time they asked us to register them. Even after being ordered to destroy the registry, they somehow managed to target law abiding gun owners in High River during the flood. They still have not explained how they knew what house had firearms and which didn't. Even worse, they roped a gullible Canadian Armed Forces into helping them go around breaking into houses and stealing personal property. Once they had private property in possession, they were atrocious in the handling of said property. Some owners received them back rusted, scratched, dinged and broken.

If they try again I believe the non compliance will skyrocket from what it currently is, or was. They've shown they can't be trusted when it comes to private gun ownership.

IF they try anything with ARs and variants, remember, only the serialized portion of the receiver is accountable. On most ARs it's on the mag housing. IF they need to be turned in, strip the whole receiver of all it's parts, springs, pins whatever. Take a hammer to the remainder and send them the part with the number on it. That is all that's registered and required to be surrendered. The rest of the gun is just parts. Barrels, trigger groups, plastic and rails can all be used on other firearms that ARE NOT AR's or variants. Those belong to you. I will do the same to all mine if they have to go to government storage. They will not get an operating firearm from me. My undamaged completely stripped receivers are what will be on their shelf. An AR can be completely assembled from scratch, every single part, in a little more than an hour. So setting it back up to shoot is not any kind of chore.

recceguy said:
That's one idea. Since the long gun registry went down, there is no record of private long gun sales or trades for anything not restricted or prohibited. They would have a hard time proving you owned any of them. Any gun bought new, will be registered at the store. Do I still have that gun? No Sir, sold it to a stranger that had a valid PAL. No Sir, I don't recall his name. We learned what happened the last time they asked us to register them. Even after being ordered to destroy the registry, they somehow managed to target law abiding gun owners in High River during the flood. They still have not explained how they knew what house had firearms and which didn't. Even worse, they roped a gullible Canadian Armed Forces into helping them go around breaking into houses and stealing personal property. Once they had private property in possession, they were atrocious in the handling of said property. Some owners received them back rusted, scratched, dinged and broken.

If they try again I believe the non compliance will skyrocket from what it currently is, or was. They've shown they can't be trusted when it comes to private gun ownership.

IF they try anything with ARs and variants, remember, only the serialized portion of the receiver is accountable. On most ARs it's on the mag housing. IF they need to be turned in, strip the whole receiver of all it's parts, springs, pins whatever. Take a hammer to the remainder and send them the part with the number on it. That is all that's registered and required to be surrendered. The rest of the gun is just parts. Barrels, trigger groups, plastic and rails can all be used on other firearms that ARE NOT AR's or variants. Those belong to you. I will do the same to all mine if they have to go to government storage. They will not get an operating firearm from me. My undamaged completely stripped receivers are what will be on their shelf. An AR can be completely assembled from scratch, every single part, in a little more than an hour. So setting it back up to shoot is not any kind of chore.

Keeping restricted firearms in one safe is a good idea too.

I recall reading something about High River after someone did an access to information request. Pretty redacted but there was some mealy mouth reason why the RCMP in fact did keep "some" records which totally wasn't for the purpose of keeping track of civilian firearm ownership. It just happened the information for the completely unrelated purpose was accessed by the RCMP. I'll try and find it for you.

I also remember reading a bunch of the firearms were rusted and damaged, which got blamed on being under water (which would explain rust but not physical damage). People were unsuccessful getting compensated.

I'm full of anecdotes, sorry  ;D  I know someone who was dealing with the CFO and trying to hand them a stripped lower receiver and they weren't having it. They were demanding the whole gun.  He ended up winning (if you could call it that) but only because there was some piece of paperwork with "lower receiver" and the serial number marked on it. Otherwise it sounded like they were going to fight him on it, lots of threats.  It's crappy because all my experiences with the CFO have been awesome and they've did me some really great favors.

You may run into that. There's two ways of registering an AR. If you buy the complete firearm, it's registered that way including barrel length. All my are registered as receiver only. That let's me mix and match uppers. They are stored as fully kitted receivers. The uppers are stored separate from the receivers and only put together to shoot. They are even transported as separate items. I've got to do some checking but I know people that had to get rid of them and they stripped them before turning them in. They get the portion that's registered. Same as my pistols. They get the lower. I keep the mags, barrel and slide. I can simply say I sold them and never got around to replacing them. Same as an AR.

I don't own any restricteds, due to me being a thousand miles from anywhere I can shoot them. I'm thinking that very soon a semi auto SKS with a five round mag, or my ten round tube fed .22, will be on the same level as a dirty bomb or sarin on the scale of scary scary stuff. So until the pendulum swings back again, maybe the best place for them to be is in the ground, for their sake and mine. Or maybe I'm just making up stories, who knows, right constables?  :whistle:

No where in the RCMP firearm storage rules on their webpage does it say you have to store non-restricted firearms in a building.  Trigger/cable lock OR a container that's difficult to break in to.

I know burying guns sounds crazy but they'll be a lot safer if you think about it. Randomly buried on your property vice stored in a safe or something in your house which can be located broken in to. Theives aren't in the habit of going over your yard with a metal detector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back