• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ammoland.com/2014/03/canadian-dennis-young-is-a-driving-force-for-fair-firearms-laws/#ixzz2wSJYXKE4

Canadian Dennis Young Is A Driving Force For Fair Firearms Laws
Published on Monday, March 17, 2014

Dennis Young has suddenly resigned as Alberta Director of the National Firearms Association.

Canadian Shooting Sports Association

Canada - -(Ammoland.com)- His reasons to step down are contained in his resignation letter below and the CSSA will not pass comment on them.

What is most important at this time is to consider the contribution of Dennis Young to every Canadian who owns a firearm and engages in our heritage sports.

The Canadian Shooting Sports Association (CSSA) is proud to have Dennis as a lifetime member. Without his dedication to fair firearms legislation, Canada would now present a very different environment for sport shooters. The unfair laws introduced by the Progressive Conservatives and Liberals in the early 1990s needed to be counteracted for sport shooting to prosper, and Dennis has been at the forefront.

How could one person have so much influence, you ask? Let’s set the calendar back to 1993.

An upstart political party was gathering steam in Canada’s west. Dennis Young took on the job of Reform Party regional coordinator for Saskatchewan and Manitoba. His mandate included building membership, volunteers and sizing up would-be members of Parliament. Five prospective federal candidates stepped forward in the Yorkton-Melville riding in Saskatchewan and Dennis took part in all five interviews with the candidate selection committee.

One of the candidates they grilled was a middle-aged teacher who had taught school in Canada’s Far North and Africa. Dennis was the returning officer in the nomination races that declared who would represent the Reform Party in the next election. He stepped up to the microphone and announced – and mispronounced – the name of the new Reform Party candidate for Yorkton-Melville – Garry Breitkreuz. History books show that in the ensuing 1993 federal election, Garry took the seat from the incumbent NDP MP and headed for Ottawa as part of the first wave of Reform MPs.

When Garry Breitkreuz, MP suddenly needed to hire a politically motivated assistant in Ottawa, he head-hunted Dennis Young. With that powerhouse union working in the shadow of the Peace Tower, firearms politics in Canada would never be quite the same. Garry was invited to address a rally of 1,200 gun owners in Preeceville, Saskatchewan in March 1994 and discovered that the firearms community urgently needed a voice in Ottawa. The tag team of Breitkreuz and Young carpet-bombed Parliament for the next 13 years by protesting the ravages of bills C-17 and C-68.

Dennis Young would file more than 500 Access to Information (ATI) requests to dig the dirt from federal departments up to and including the RCMP. Having served as an RCMP officer himself for five years in northern Saskatchewan, Dennis knew the national police force had an independent streak and was bringing the hammer down on gun owners without much political intervention. His Parliament Hill office soon looked like a bowling alley with filing cabinets stacked shoulder-deep on every wall, and stuffed with ATI results.

Government ATI replies are legendary for their ability to obscure shreds of truth in fat files designed to frustrate those who seek facts. Dennis is no ordinary researcher. He dragged a fine-tooth comb through tens of thousands of pages looking for wee nuggets of gold hidden in the bureaucratic piffle. His tenacity was rewarded when he became the first person to find that the long-gun registry cost at least a billion dollars, and probably much more. Dennis’s research gave Garry Breitkreuz the impetus to ask the Auditor General to confirm the waste of taxpayers’ money and the jig was up. The Billion Dollar Boondoggle was born.

Thanks to the relentless determination of Dennis Young, the national gun registry conversation has taken place a million times at dinner tables, gun clubs, call-in radio broadcasts and on editorial pages. The wave from Dennis’s momentum continued through the Conservative Party of Canada and finally turned the Titanic. When the Parliament of Canada scrapped the gun registry, it made news on the world stage as an unprecedented reversal of firearms legislation. It finally evolved as the first successful bid to treat lawful gun owners as responsible. Someday, history will show that the registry was the ice-breaker for other legislative reforms that gun owners continue to seek.

Dennis had a habit of showing up for work on Parliament Hill before most people were even awake. News clippings were on the boss’s desk when he arrived. After 13 years in the hot seat on Parliament Hill, Dennis moved to Alberta with his wife Hazel. Together they have been dealing with the complications of Hazel’s multiple sclerosis for 30 years. His dedication to Hazel to this day reflects the same tenacity Dennis employs with every endeavour.

Many firearms enthusiasts continue to receive daily news emails from Dennis’s desk via the Canadian Firearms Digest. He scours the media as fervently as ever, always passing along newsworthy developments for all who wish to stay informed. His clippings are frequently included in the CSSA E-News, too. It comes as good news to the entire firearms community that he will continue to inform us. He is the glue that keeps everyone on the same page.

Anti-gun legislation in the ’90s placed Canada on a very slippery slope toward disarmament. Without the resistance of Dennis Young and those who worked with him, it seems likely that many more guns would have been banned by now and more laws passed to put our heritage sports out of reach. The next time you gaze upon the contents of your gun safe, you might want to think fondly of Dennis Young.

And perhaps take the time to wish him well at majordomo@bogend.ca .

——-

DENNIS YOUNG POSTS OFFICIAL RESIGNATION: Effective Tuesday, March 11, 2014, I resigned as Alberta Director of the National Firearms Association. NFA President Sheldon Clare and I disagreed over decisions he made about NFA communications on social media and my suggestion regarding coordination of our efforts with the CSSA, both matters that I felt should have been referred to the NFA Board of Directors for further consideration. I waited until today to make this announcement to see if the impasse could be resolved. Sadly, it could not.

I would like to thank the NFA members in Alberta who voted for me and gave me the opportunity to serve as their Director. It was a rewarding experience and I hope the members feel I made a positive contribution to the organization. I want to thank Sheldon and the Board of Directors for their support for my work, especially on the High River file, and for the considerable time and effort they make every day to the cause of freedom and our right to own and enjoy our property. I apologize to everyone in the NFA for my early departure but better to leave a few months early and ease the level of frustration for both Sheldon and myself.

I remain a loyal and dedicated Honorary Life Member of both the CSSA and the NFA and I am even more committed to seeing the repeal of Bill C-68 today than I was in 1995 when it was rammed through Parliament and down our throats. I encourage every gun owner in Canada to hold memberships in both the NFA and the CSSA and by doing so hopefully we can get these two fine organizations to work together and build on each others strengths to achieve our common goals.

I will continue to work with Lorne Gunter and Sun News on the High River Gun Grab file until the whole truth is made public. I will continue to file Access to Information Act requests on all firearms related issues and post the results on the Canadian Firearms Digest. I will pursue a new non-profit career writing columns that I hope will be of interest to the firearms community.

It’s been exactly twenty years since I started working on the firearms file with MP Garry Breitkreuz in his Parliament Hill office. We still have such a long fight ahead of us and I look forward to continuing this good fight with all of you.

Sincerely,

Dennis R. Young

Did the SKS make the list? I have been told it has but have yet to see any confrmation or clarification.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Did the SKS make the list? I have been told it has but have yet to see any confrmation or clarification.

That would suck nuts, there's another 20 or 30 thousand criminals in the making  ::)

"Still trying to wrap my head around the recovering of $15,000 in stolen bicycles."
This part of the world has a very large Mountain Biking population and a good bike can cost from $3-5K. My bike was $2500 and that's with a group discount because we bought all of our bikes from the same shop...
This one is $7300..
http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/trail/sight-carbon/sight-carbon-le-fs/

Here's another point that appears to be a dichotomy.

These two short sentences tell you a lot about government and our
culture:

We are advised to not judge "ALL Muslims" by the actions of a few "lunatics."

However, we are encouraged to judge "ALL Gun Owners" by the actions of a few "lunatics".

Funny how that works. ;)

Question,
With the majority Liberal government now in Quebec, I'm wondering how the Quebec gun registry will play out and will the federal Liberals support it as a model for the new national version if they (god forbid) gain power?

my72jeep said:
Question,
With the majority Liberal government now in Quebec, I'm wondering how the Quebec gun registry will play out and will the federal Liberals support it as a model for the new national version if they (god forbid) gain power?

My tenure within the CAF is going to be over in less than three years. There are more than a few subjects I have bitten my tongue on, and the topic of gun control is one.

In the words of PET:

Just watch me.....

And I would remind the people that are for gun control that freedom of expression is a right under the Charter, no matter if I agree with you or not.

More about the High River Seizures

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2014/04/20140413-073127.html

LORNE GUNTER | QMI AGENCY

The more that comes to light about the RCMP’s High River gun grab following last spring’s devastating flooding in southern Alberta, the more obvious it is the Mounties became obsessed with taking High Riverites’ guns. Rescuing people was secondary to breaking into homes without warrants and stripping the populous of their legal firearms.

It would appear that the incident is a tragic abuse of police powers against law-abiding citizens.

Through the exemplary work of independent firearms researcher Dennis Young, we already know that police broke into twice as many High River homes after the emergency had ended as they did while flood waters were still coursing through town.

The Highwood River overran its banks in High River early on the morning of June 21, just after midnight on the 20th .

Through access to information requests filed by Young, we learned earlier this year that by June 23, the RCMP thought the immediate crisis was over. This was an assessment shared by the units of the Canadian armed forces that were assisting the Mounties with search and rescue.

On June 24, High River RCMP reported to their bosses in Edmonton that they had completed their search of every home in town, 3,337 in all. There were still about 300 people living in the town of 13,000, despite the province’s mandatory evacuation order. But other than that, everything seemed calm.

That same day, units of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry from Edmonton were requesting a return home since there was “no further danger to civilians (life and limb) and evacuations not requested.”

All 31 people rescued by police and the military seem to have been plucked from their homes within the first 24 hours. Then things slowly settled down.

So how come Mounties felt the need to kick in nearly 1,300 doors after June 24, nearly double the number (674) they had kicked down in the first four days of flooding? The logical answer is that they had stopped looking for stranded survivors and had, instead, started focusing on disarming the civilian population.

Indeed, new documents just uncovered by Young show that Mounties kept seizing guns up until July 10, nearly three full weeks after the flood and more than two weeks after the first evacuees had been given the all-clear to return to their homes.

This information makes a mockery of the Mounties’ insistence that they only took firearms they encountered by coincidence. They claimed to take only those firearms they noticed “in plain sight” while they were in homes searching for survivors.

But nearly half the guns they seized, they seized on their second trip to most homes after they had been in them once already and determined there were no survivors cowering inside.

And as Young discovered last week in police records, Mounties also confiscated several pellet guns, bows and arrows, crossbows, “musket powder” and “2 bayonets.”

Apparently, in addition to concerns about retaliation by angry homeowners, Mounties also seemed paranoid about uprisings by Boy Scouts, First Nations, medieval Flemish yeomen, British Redcoats and Imperial Japanese infantry circa 1941.

Good thing they didn’t locate any disruptors or blowguns, so they didn’t also have to be on the lookout for Klingons or indigenous Kuna warriors from South America.

Want more proof of Mountie misbehaviour?

According to residents, members kicked in doors in neighbourhoods that had no flood damage: no water in the basement; no power, gas or sewer outages. There was no chance people needed rescuing in those homes. But doors were kicked down and guns take anyway.

It would appear that this was a despicable incident in which our trusted national police force far overstepped its powers, even in an emergency.

This stuff is probably no surprise to anyone here, but worth reading...

Murder by the numbers: Study breaks down homicides in Edmonton
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch/news/crime/Murder+numbers+Study+breaks+down+homicides+Edmonton/9750749/story.html?rel=847766

BY JANA G. PRUDEN, EDMONTON JOURNAL APRIL 18, 2014

EDMONTON - The profile of an Edmonton murder is clear ­— statistically speaking, at least.

The killer and victim are white men in their late 20s or 30s who know each other. They never graduated from high school and have involvement with criminal activity. They meet inside a private home in central Edmonton early on Friday or Saturday morning. The murder weapon is a knife.

The Edmonton Police Commission is reviewing a study of 124 homicides in the city during the five-year period from 2007 to 2012. The study, by MacEwan University associate professor of psychology Sandy Jung, looks at “cleared” cases, where the killer or killers were identified and the case resolved. The analysis excluded four police shootings and one homicide where a five-year-old boy stabbed his seven-year-old brother to death, and was deemed to be too young to be responsible for his actions.

The study found more than 56 per cent of Edmonton’s homicides in that period occurred within a private residence, with 70 per cent of homicide victims killed by someone they knew. Of those homicides, about 14 per cent occurred between intimate partners.

Both the killers and victims were overwhelmingly male: Men accounted for 75 per cent of homicide victims and more than 90 per cent of killers.

The age of the victims in the study ranged from 2 to 85, with an average of 35 years old. Excluding the five-year-old, the killers ranged in age from 15 to 65, with an average age of 29.

Caucasian people accounted for 45 per cent victims and 43 per cent of offenders. People of First Nations and Métis background followed, comprising about 30 per cent of victims and offenders.

Lack of education appeared to be a common factor. The study found 78 per cent of victims didn’t finish high school, and more than 86 per cent of offenders didn’t. The majority of victims and offenders were unemployed, and the homeless made up 17 per cent of homicide victims and 22 per cent of offenders.

About half the victims and people in the study used alcohol before the homicide, and a smaller percentage had consumed illegal drugs. Substance abuse problems were identified in more than 50 per cent of both killers and victims. Mental disorders were seen in almost 12 per cent of offenders and 11 per cent of victims.

Geographically, about one-third of the homicides occurred in central Edmonton, with 27 per cent in the northeast area of the city. More than 55 per cent of the homicides occurred on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and nearly half of all offences happened in the early morning hours from midnight to 7 a.m.

The study found the majority of the killers and victims had a previous criminal history — about 85 per cent of offenders, and 67 per cent of the victims. About half of the killers and 40 per cent of victims had previously served jail or prison time.

The study also found Edmonton had a significantly higher use of knives and other “edged weapons” in homicides than the national average, with knives used in 57 per cent of city slayings, compared with the national average of 30-35 per cent. The city’s percentage of shooting deaths was lower than the national average. “Household items” were used in 11 per cent of the homicides studied in Edmonton, followed by gas explosions, carbon monoxide and vehicles as the weapon of death.

jpruden@edmontonjournal.com

Twitter.com/@jana_pruden

From a Retrospective Look at Edmonton’s Recent Homicide Cases, by Sandy Jung

LOCATION OF HOMICIDES

- Private residence: 56.5%

- Correctional institution: 2.4%

- Victim’s home: 16 %

- Offender’s home: 9.2%

- Home shared by offender and victim: 29.4%

- 33.1% central Edmonton

- 26.6 % northeast Edmonton

- 15.3% southeast Edmonton

- 11.3 % west Edmonton

- 8.9 % southwest Edmonton

- 4.8 % northwest Edmonton

TIME OF OFFENCE:

- Early morning (midnight to 7 a.m.): 48 %

- Morning hours (7 to 11 a.m.): 8.1 %

- Afternoon (11 to 6 p.m.): 21.8%

- Evening (6 p.m. to midnight): 23.4 %

OFFENDERS:

- Average age: 28.9

- Ethnicity: 42.9 % Caucasian, 30.1% Native/Métis, 3.7 % Asian, 16 % Black, 4.3% South Asian, 3% other (Middle Eastern, Hispanic)

- Homeless: 22.3 %

- Did not complete high school: 86.1 %

- Unemployed: 70.6 %

- Gang affiliation: 20%

- Substance abuse problems: 51.6%

- Mental disorder noted: 12.2%

- Criminal activity (arrests or convictions) 82.7%

- Violent offences: 58.9 %

- Served prison/jail time: 49.4%

- Criminal associations: 82.7%

VICTIMS:

- Average age: 34.9

- Ethnicity: 45.4 % Caucasian, 30.3% Native/Métis, Asian 9.2%, Black 6.7 %, 4.2 % South Asian, 4.2 % other (Middle Eastern, Hispanic )

- Homeless: 17.2 %

- Did not complete high school: 77.9 %

- Unemployed: 62 %

- Gang affiliation: 8%

- Substance abuse problems: 51.8%

- Mental disorder noted: 11%

- Criminal activity (arrests or convictions) 67%

- Violent offences: 46.4 %

- Served prison/jail time: 40.2%

- Criminal associations: 64.5 %

MURDER WEAPON:

- Edged weapon: 57%

- Firearm: 25 %

- Household item: 11%

- Explosion (gas) 3%

- Carbon monoxide: 2 %

- Vehicle: 2 %

It seems Ms Chow wants to flog the same dead horse Miller tried in regards to a handgun ban.  Seriously what planet do these people live on were they expect criminals to obey the law.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/07/14/olivia-chows-proposed-handgun-ban-called-an-empty-gesture-by-mayoral-rival-john-tory/

When two friends, Kwame Duodu and O’She Doyles-Whyte, were gunned down in their youth last summer, their grief-stricken families turned to Reverend Sky Starr.

The minister, therapist and “crisis responder” based in the Jane and Finch neighbourhood criss-crosses the city, planning funerals, organizing memorials and offering a steadying force at a time of raw emotion.

“I go to wherever there’s a shooting and somebody calls me,” said Rev. Starr, who estimates she has helped since 2006 more than 60 families deal with the violent loss of a loved one.

On Monday, she attended a press conference held by mayoral candidate Olivia Chow outside a community centre named for Ephraim Brown, an 11-year-old boy caught in the crossfire of feuding gangs and shot dead, seven years ago this month.

Ms. Chow vowed to pick up a cause championed by former mayor David Miller, who pressed Ottawa in 2008 for a nation-wide prohibition that has not come to pass.

“I believe taking guns out of people’s hands means fewer guns on the street. There is no reason why people needs to have a hand gun in a big city like ours,” said Ms. Chow, outside the Emmanuel Church of the Nazarene near Jane and Sheppard.

It houses a community centre named for Ephraim Brown, an 11-year-old boy who was shot and killed seven years ago this month while attending a birthday party. Police said he was caught in the crossfire of rival groups.

Ms. Chow did not specify any additional actions the city government itself can take on the issue of tighter gun control, except to advocate in favour of a ban, in favour of the gun registry, and in support of initiatives that stem the flow of guns across the U.S. border. She criticized Rob Ford, saying that “we have a mayor who for the last four years justified the use of guns. He opposed the long gun registry and what I want to do is to work with big city mayors to tighten the controls.”

Related
Lunch With the Contenders: David Soknacki, the geek from Scarborough, earning one vote at a time
Eglinton redevelopment project part of the ‘war on cars,’ Ford brothers say
Rob Ford votes against homeless shelter for gay youth, sparking more homophobia accusations
Rob Ford press conference goes awry as shirtless protester screams ‘resign!’ in mayor’s ear the entire time
.Ms. Chow, in turn, was criticized by John Tory, one of her main competitors in the mayoral race, who said that handguns are already strictly regulated by the federal government. “What Ms. Chow doesn’t seem to understand is that criminals and gang members don’t obey the law,” he said in a statement. “Calling for such a ban isn’t leadership. It’s an empty gesture.” He also called her credibility on guns and gangs issues “suspect” because for months she had refused to call on Mayor Ford to resign.

Mr. Tory’s rebuttal was low on specifics, promising instead a “coordinated approach” with upper levels of government that gets “real results and and keeps illegal guns off our streets.”

Ms. Chow also called for more partnerships between police and community workers and expanding the use of crisis intervention units to deal with cases involving people with mental illnesses. She wants to focus on “at risk” youth, and make sure they know about programs that are available to them. Ms. Chow has already said she plans to create 5,000 jobs for young people by requiring companies bidding on city infrastructure contracts to hire people under 24.

Toronto Police11-year-old Ephraim Brown was killed after being caught in a gang-related crossfire at a birthday party in 2007..Ms. Chow claimed the initiatives she backed on Monday will not cost the city any money.

“I don’t think we need to hire additional officers,” she said. “I think with better shift work we can get more officers on the streets, but it’s really about partnerships, it’s about understanding the needs of the community and working together.”

Rev. Starr told reporters following the press conference that while calling for a handgun ban helps, what families need most is support to deal with the ongoing trauma and pain. “It’s not something that goes away,” said Ms. Starr, who is helping Kwame and O’She’s mothers plan a festival marking the anniversary of their death, on August 23. “There is nothing, absolutely nothing in place for long term care for families.”

Added 10-year-old Beyonce, attending camp at Ephraim’s Place: “We need some more after school programs for more kids … There’s a lot of people being shot every day and it’s not safe.”

National Post

Conservatives are introducting new legislation to overhaul, existing firearms laws.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2014/07/20140723-125833.html

BRYN WEESE | SUN NEWS NETWORK

POWASSAN, Ontario -- Gun laws in Canada are getting a major overhaul, government sources have confirmed to Sun News Network.

And as of Wednesday, in a separate regulation, owners of Swiss Arms and CZ 858 rifles can transport and use those rifles as they were previously classified -- non-restricted or restricted depending on barrel length -- before the RCMP prohibited them earlier this year.

Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney was expected to announce the new "Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act" and the extended amnesty regulation here later Wednesday.

The act, if passed, will limit the powers of provincial Chief Firearms Officers, make all firearm licenses possession-and-acquisition (PAL) licenses, make it easier for legal gun owners to transport restricted firearms around their home province, provide a grace period to renew expired gun licences, make the gun safety course mandatory for new shooters, and strengthen gun ownership prohibition orders for convicted domestic abusers.

"These measures would streamline licensing and eliminate needless red tape for law-abiding gun owners," Blaney stated in a news release prior to the announcement. "It would also take steps to ensure that those convicted of domestic violent offences can be banned from owning firearms. My foremost priority is keeping the public safe, through common sense policies."

In 2012, the Tories also scrapped the controversial long gun registry.

But since then, some provincial Chief Firearms Officers have come under fire from the firearms community for imposing stiff arbitrary measures on gun ownership and gun sales under the clause 58(1) of the current firearms act that allows CFOs to attach "any reasonable condition" they see fit to gun licences, business licences and permits to transport restricted guns.

A government source said that power, in particular, will be curbed in the new act and will give elected lawmakers the final say.

Another major change in the new act is essentially a universal Authorization to Transport (ATT) for restricted firearms owners that will be a condition of their licence. Effectively, the change will allow them to transport their handguns and other restricted guns to any legal destination in their home province -- any range, any gun shop, any gunsmith, and so on -- with the same ATT.

Currently, a separate ATT is required whenever a restricted gun owner wants to take his or her gun to a different range (other than the range at which they are a member) or any legal destination that is not their own gun club.

"This will remove about 99% of the bureaucratic paperwork required to transport restricted firearms," a government source told QMI Agency.

Gun rights advocates have long argued the excessive paperwork did nothing to improve public safety and was an unnecessary burden on legal gun owners.

But the ATT transportation rules will still apply, meaning gun owners will still have to double lock the firearm while in transit and they must travel directly between their home and their legal destination.

If passed, the act will also do away with possession-only licenses (POL) that currently allow some Canadians to own guns but not acquire new ones. All POLs will become Possession and Acquisition licences, which will be the only type of licence.

Other measures in the "Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act" expected to be unveiled by Blaney later Wednesday will make the firearms safety course mandatory for all shooters, meaning no one -- not even those with firearms experience -- will be able to challenge the firearms test without first taking the course.

And gun owners who let their licences expire will not become so-called "paper criminals" overnight for owning guns without a valid licence, but will instead be given a grace period within which they can renew their expired licence.

The source said the length of the grace period has yet to be finalized.

The Minister is also expected to unveil a separate regulation -- to take effect Wednesday -- that will allow owners of Swiss Arms and CZ 858 rifles to use them and transport then as they did before the RCMP controversially and arbitrarily prohibited them earlier this year.

While those guns will still technically be classified as prohibited weapons, there will be an exception for people who already own them so that they can treat them as though they were never reclassified (non-restricted or restricted rifles depending on barrel length).

But they can't be sold privately and are not available for sale at stores in Canada given their current prohibited status.

The amnesty for CZ 858 and Swiss Arms owners is in effect until March 2016.

I don't see a molecule of "common sense" in that.

I will still be a criminal, with a note from the government that gives me permission to commit the crime of firearms ownership at its pleasure.

Loachman said:
I don't see a molecule of "common sense" in that.

I will still be a criminal, with a note from the government that gives me permission to commit the crime of firearms ownership at its pleasure.

Don't forget this is just what a source told Sun News, not the actually official details and proposed legislation.

By the time they roll this onto the floor, have the debates, endless Committee meeting (with witnesses), send it to the Senate, wait...wait...wait... then come back for a vote, it'll be just in time for them to trumpet what they are doing for gun owners as part of their election platform.

It will probably be right in the middle, of the above shenanigans and posturing, during the election. Basically saying that gun owners need to vote CPC if they want to see these changes.

Gun owners aren't fooled. This is exactly what was expected.

The CPC was fast losing support and donations from gun owners for their inaction. Now they will try capitalize on the " We didn't abandon you, give us a chance to show you (again)".

It's just the cynic in me, I suppose.  ::)

It's interesting that the National Firearms Association (NFA) was not invited to this release.

It's nice that there will be a grace period, I remember calling the CFO in a panic because I just returned home from a deployment and had a day or two until my license expired (they were good about it).

Removing restricted, uhh, restrictions and some more radical changes like CCW permits were probably too much to hope for but at least this was a step in the right direction I figure.

I was hoping for the repeal of the 12X. but I still believe in the Easter bunny

If this went through, I would be more inclined to purchase firearms.  The whole PITA process of ATT's and the power of the CFO (Ontario in my case), has played large in my mind to not bother.  Could (and should) more be done, absolutely, but I realize it is highly unlikely.  I have no doubt there will be a flurry of opinion pieces from people who  have no clue what they are talking about, decrying the world will end with these provisions.  And I guess Olivia has gotten her response, from the Fed's re: making gun laws MORE restrictive.

Now, we just need to cross our fingers, that there will be no mass shooting caused by a deranged lunatic, until this passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back