• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Grip Strength Superthread- Read Here First

It was suggested to me that to improve my grip I should squeeze a tennis ball in 20 repetition sets a few times a day.

Ok thanks everybody for all the help. I will try the tennis ball. If anyone finds any more ways to improve your grip strength please post them.

Thanks again :salute:

Grip test? Can't find any info... I'm guessing one would grip something as hard as possible and it is measured somehow? ???

Samsquanch said:
Grip test? Can't find any info... I'm guessing one would grip something as hard as possible and it is measured somehow? ???

It's a handheld device that you squeeze to determine the strength in your hands. It used to be 75 lbs. I have no idea what it is now. The title is slightly confusing as there is no specifics on the grip test at all throughout the topic.

I wonder if it's any thing like the police PREP grip test?  You grip two handles- each requiring roughly twenty-pounds of force in order to become fully depressed- and then you pull the two handles together while continuing to fully depress them, which lifts a 70-odd pound weight.  I doubt it's the same, since the police one is designed to simulate the force necessary to restrain a person's arms in the handcuff position, but its the only grip test I know of.

The grip test of the CF is not the same as the police test.

On the subject of eliminating the fitness test and the idea that it is lowering the bar.

What was the fitness test for soldiers joining CF in 1914-18, 1939-45 and the 1950's? If I am not mistaken I don't think there was one! Just pass the medical review, the intelligence test and in you go. The instructors made sure that the soldiers were ready to go when the time came for them to stand at the pointy end of the sword. Was the Army of WWI, WWII and Korea at a lower bar than today's? I have a hard time believing that.

I am not worried, the Army is in good hands and the quality of this generation of soldier will live up to the standards of those who have gone on before, with or without a fitness test.

Cardstonkid said:

On the subject of eliminating the fitness test and the idea that it is lowering the bar.

What was the fitness test for soldiers joining CF in 1914-18, 1939-45 and the 1950's? If I am not mistaken I don't think there was one! Just pass the medical review, the intelligence test and in you go. The instructors made sure that the soldiers were ready to go when the time came for them to stand at the pointy end of the sword. Was the Army of WWI, WWII and Korea at a lower bar than today's? I have a hard time believing that.

I am not worried, the Army is in good hands and the quality of this generation of soldier will live up to the standards of those who have gone on before, with or without a fitness test.

Interesting point.  Another advantage is that certain recruits could apply earlier and use the time between their application being processed and BMQ more productively to get into better shape.  That would be pretty good motivation for some recruits. 

On the other hand, I'm thinking a lot of people get to BMQ and get a rude awakening.  I'm thinking it would be better to fail a physical fitness test before BMQ than fail one at BMQ, but that's just my opinion.  Cheers :)

Cardstonkid said:

Also take into account the problems we face today with obesity. Life has become alot easier to live then it was back then, people spend alot more time on their arses doing diddly (like reading this forum :D). I think its important to have physical fitness screening if people want to join the CF, I mean come on the standards are not much as it is.

Well, I had to do a little weight lifting test at the Recruiting centre, then we had to do the pushups, situps and 1.5 mile run when we got to Cornwallis.  If you pooched that, you did a couple hours of remedial PT every day from about 18-2000 IIRC - after you went through the remainder of the training day.  Now, you do the ExPres Test when you get there - if you pooch it, you go straight to remedial PT for 3 months to get you to the level you should be at to complete training - not just pass the test.  If you still pooch it, then well, we tried. At least that's what the sports med dude told us a couple of weeks ago at school here.  This way, they are less likely to become injured while doing the remedial on top of the recruit training and also don't have to leave with their tails between their legs and hopefully can go on to graduate and be productive soldiers.

MM 

How fit do you have to be to take an MG-42 and turn a landing craft full of hyper-fit soldiers into soup when they drop the ramp?  Not very.  The Wehrmacht had a very scientific view of military manpower: they slotted square pegs in square holes and round pegs in round holes. Frosbite regiments, Flat foot regiments, etc. Not everyone is going to be a "Commando" and so not everybody needs to be as fit as one either.

Every trade has a minimum medical category, we need merely to develop a series of physical categories for each trade, rank and posting position. Want a promotion?  Lose the sh_tlocker and meet the new PT level.  Want a cool posting like CDLS Rome?  Lose the sh_tlocker and meet the new liason standard.

Tie promotions to fitness.  The merit list should provide the order in which you COMPETE for promotions AND postings.  No one wants to be posted to CFB Upper-Armpit, Alberta?  Go down the merit list until someone says "Yes", then promote them when they arrive at the new base.  

Also - adjust the standards: an RMS Clerk - to use but one example - may not need to be super-fit in MOST cases.  But: you may want ALL RMS Clerks of a certain rank to meet a higher standard as part of setting the example and looking good in the uniform - so be it.  They don't meet that standard - they don't get promoted.

Tom

I have to comment on some of the post's in this thread to maybe dispel some of the MYTH's WRT the PT standard in recruit school.  Recruits at the end of 13 weeks MUST pass the entire CF Express Test.  The standards for this test are for a male under 35 yrs is 19 push ups, 19 sit ups, level 6 on the 20m shuttle run, and a combined hand grip of 75.  All Recruits are tested in week 1 of basic.  If they fail the run they are immediately sent to RFT Platoon, (Recruit Fitness Training) for up to 90 days.  If they are still unsuccessful then they are released.  If they pass the run but fail any other component of the test such as push ups they continue training and are re tested in weeks ten and if necessary week 13.  If still unsuccessful they go to RFT for up to 3 weeks where they receive another retest and if they pass they graduate if not they are released.  They end result is that whether they are screened before BMQ or during they ALL have to achieve the standard before they graduate.  As for staff having their hands tied, times they have changed.  Staff who are willing to put in the work and extra hours required have little difficulty sorting out problem recruits.  The end goal is to train as many recruits as possible however some people are just not cut out for military life and when identified the staff can weed those people out.  As for trade specific fitness standards, I disagree, everyone is responsible for their own protection and the TB doesn't care what colour uniform or what trade badge you wear.

If the number of recruits that make it to unit level training is greater than the  recruitment level of the past, than the change in policy would be deemed successful.

In the past the attrition rate for Basic Training was low, reason being, these people were physically fit upon joining. Downside of that policy was fewer people were accepted.

Today's policy with the lower physical standards will have a greater influx of people with the hope that the majority of them will have the desire to remain.

I believe DND is expecting a higher drop-out rate than they have been accustom to but as I mentioned before if the number of those  that remain are greater than under the old policy, DND would content with that.

Great post Tankerbill and let me welcome you to the boards.  It is refreshing to get some clarity from people in the know.  It looks like a common-sense program.  I have a lot of faith in the instructors in our training system.

Cheers

GUNS said:
If the number of recruits that make it to unit level training is greater than the  recruitment level of the past, than the change in policy would be deemed successful.

In the past the attrition rate for Basic Training was low, reason being, these people were physically fit upon joining. Downside of that policy was fewer people were accepted.

Today's policy with the lower physical standards will have a greater influx of people with the hope that the majority of them will have the desire to remain.

I believe DND is expecting a higher drop-out rate than they have been accustom to but as I mentioned before if the number of those  that remain are greater than under the old policy, DND would content with that.
In the past, people who did not pass were sent home & told to get it together on their own time. Some people returned, some didn't....
If some people who were borderline are "coaxed" up beyond the pass line, we are ahead of the game - even if we end up paying the new recruits while they tone up and become fit

I couldn't agree more with this change in policy.  I expect it to increase the numbers of successful applicants entering the CF.  There's a lot of hoops to jump through to join and if the recruiting center sends someone away to work on their fitness, it's highly likely that they're never coming back.  Of all the requirments to join (good health, minimum apptitude scores, decent credit, etc), fitness is the one thing that can be fixed with some hardwork.

And to second what was said above, today's generation of recruits have lived an entirely different lifestyle.  Everyone thinks about their time spent in front of the TV or playing an XBox but how many schools still offer extra-curricular sports after school free of charge?  Last time I heard, lots of local schools required parents to pony up the cash if little Johnny wanted to play competitive high school basketball or soccer.

klumanth said:
The Instructors may have the skills but their hands are pretty much tied.  When they see someone who is not cut out for military life there is not a lot they can do about it unless the persons fitness level is below the minimum standard which, as we know are quite low.

Why are you blaming it solely on the Instructors? If you acknowledge that their "hands are pretty much tied" then what can be done. I believe it is up to their peers who perform selection. It is the future member's responsibility to cover his own *** should the 'numpty' make it through in order to cover his arc to protect said member. I am no condoning 'blanket parties' or the such, but even on the most politically correct of ways, 'natural selection' does occur.

Always a Guard said:
Some will become the pride of Canada, but the vast majority will leave, just look at the numbers. Maybe saying sub-standard is incorrect, but we are not recruiting the people who really want the military as a Lifestyle. Life in the CF is hard and demanding, and it takes an iron-will to persevere through the bad times for the end rewards. The recruits we want are those that are not there for money and not there for an easy-ride (career only). We want those that dare to be challenged. Those members, that impose on themselves a higher standard than the rest of society. We are not getting that anymore, instead we are recruiting people looking for; a temp. career, a means to pay for their education (which is not wrong), or a flopper(in for the initial engagement and then out). I believe that lowering standards initially makes the end result weaker. I don‘t mean to berate anyone, but look at the new course packages that have come-out each year to replace the old ones, they are not getting more refined, more indepth or more challenging. No, they are getting easier, more basic and more corporate. I just feel that by straying from the military ethos we are straying from attracting and retaining soldiers who want the challenge, and who want to live the lifestyle. Look at the infantry, all soldiers who take a perverse pleasure in overcoming their own suffering..it‘s the challenge that draws them in and it will be continuos challenges throughout their careers that keep them in!

On this note I will say what I feel and it will most likely get me verbally boot stomped on here.
Physical fitness is not the be-all-end-all to recruiting. If you would take time to look into this topic, you will find that entrance exam requirements may have dropped but they still have to pass the fitness test at the end of BMQ. If they don't, you get held back and do not graduate. Physical fitness is not the sole criteria for a 'good solider'. It does not prove determination in the slightest degree. It does point out who is a 'keener' and that's it. Let's go back into my history.
I went into BMQ with a grasp of patriotism but not necessarily what I was getting in to. I hadn't pre-excercised at all, and as a result, the BMQ 5km runs were insanely hard and I even failed my first fitness test at week 3 (?) due to pushups (yes, I couldn't even do the minimum simple requirement). However, I worked hard and graduated with my class at prolly the low end of the fitness level but high end for the cognitive thinking level. Now I went on to -Infantry- training where I sat roughly at the middle of the bar. There were guys who could eaily run 10km, others could do "150" pushups, and other aspired to join the Navy SEALs.
Now I sit here, after my first basic engagement and I look around. Out of the 35 that graduated with me from infantry school, maybe 6 remain. The guy who could do "150" pushups ended up being a malingerer and sat in the canteen for the last year-and-a-half of his contract (with only 6 monthes in a rifle company). The Navy SEAL dude who was far more fit than me turned out to be using steroides and was afraid of heights (rapelling was interesting with him) and for lack of better words, gave up all will to succeed a year left in his BE. Other "fit" guys who were motivated to do 21 pull ups for fun, got messed up from jumping, found the cushiness of a medical chit and floated with various "ailments" for 2 years.
I, however, went to Afghanistan, was injured, -and- I signed for my second BE. Even with my hurt body, I can still stomp the Cooper's Test and even outdo what I could accomplish before I went overseas.

What I am saying is that physical fitness does not necessarily mean you are a better soldier. It does not mean that you have more motivation to strive for more. Determination, perserverance, and loyalty to the CF body is largely brought in before you sign the dotted line. What kind of soldier you will be is perhaps even instilled from values you learn from birth.

What I am saying is that physical fitness does not necessarily mean you are a better soldier. It does not mean that you have more motivation to strive for more. Determination, persevering, and loyalty to the CF body is largely brought in before you sign the dotted line. What kind of soldier you will be is perhaps even instilled from values you learn from birth

Couldn't have said it better myself... However, the application process is long enough that there is plenty of time to get in shape. There is no excuse for laziness the minimum requirement in training is just that a minimum . I've been training harder than ever and I know there isn't a PT test until BMQ, I haven't even done the interview. Being in shape proves determination and perseverance... Enough said.
Good luck to all determined, loyal and persevering recruits

This is quite interesting.

I know I have to upgrade my fitness level...but then again It wont make me a better member of the FC. It will make me a better person for myself...Ill be less a burden for my future colleague and for society.

I truly hope that getting in the force will give me chance.

Being in shape has multiple advantage on our mental, on our nerves, on our determination. Trust me I know what I'm talking about.

Yes the CF has lowered their standard...but...it is not the only thin who has chance over the years...I remember my dad being in the forces and talking about it and now I hear my best Friend talking about it...it has change. whether we like it or not.

mysteriousmind said:
This is quite interesting.
I know I have to upgrade my fitness level...but then again It wont make me a better member of the FC.
A soldier that is fit IS a better soldier.... PERIOD

In a bad situation I'd much rather be with a group of guys who had to pass a harder fitness screening. I'd feel more confident than having the out of shape guy watching my back. I'm sure the enemy in a combat situation will appreciate the lower admission standards. If I was getting into a fight, I'd want my bigger, meaner, faster  stronger friends keeping an eye open for the third man in rule. You hockey guys know what I'm saying...
We have people at my place of employment that cannot physically handle the job. Once they are in it's hard to get them out.

Back