• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The Hadfield Effect" - Vintage Wings

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/435/language/en-CA/The-Hadfield-Effect.aspx

"The difference with Chris Hadfield is that the adoring adults are more concerned that their children see him and be inspired by him. There would be no children in a scrum with a movie star, only adult or teen fans. I saw families—fathers and mothers and grandparents with kids—pressing forward... with their children out in front, kids from 3 to 18, staring in wonder. I am no clairvoyant, but I could read the minds of these parents. They were yearning for their kids to see a man of accomplishment, one who set a goal, stayed the course and remained a human being the entire time. They were yearning for the best for their children. It was beautiful."

Great article.  I met him at the Abbotsford Airshow in 2009 or so and was definitely star-struck; I'm not one of those people who are easily star-struck either.

Small world.

Met a fellow down here in Phoenix, AZ who vacations on the island in Ontario. Chris Hatfield throws a 1 July party every year which is well attended.

I explained the Governor General of Canada position, and he agreed Hatfield would be a great choice.

Dimsum said:
http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/435/language/en-CA/The-Hadfield-Effect.aspx
Oh hey, a Chinook.

.....and some Canadian guy, I guess.  ;D

Chris18.jpg

I have a lot of time for that man.  A very good friend of mine (as close to a brother as a person can be without being a blood relation) had dreams of becoming an astronaut, but was disqualified after his medical revealed that he'd had a kidney stone, once, when he was in his 20s.  He was devastated.

Hadfield made a point of showing him all the other ways he could still be involved in the space program and encouraged him to help out in those ways.  They are great friends now...although I still haven't gotten a signed copy of the man's book.  ;)

Back