• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Importance of proper grammar on this forum AND in the CF

Danjanou said:
You know we really need to get an irony smilie here. ::)
Ask and you shall belatedly receive.....
:irony:

Muttenthaler said:
As another note, there are tiny details in the English language which make it very important to be clear and concise. A litlle change in the inflection of the sentence, for example, could have a person, who misunderstands your intent, jumping into action and calling the police on you (yes, personal experience and lesson learned). Language can become an artform in the hands of a competant user, and it has the power to create or destroy at the user's will. So, be careful!

Do you mean going from "Let's eat, Grandma" to "Let's eat Grandma"?  ;D

I think this should be mandatory reading for anyone writing a PDR/PER:

Politics and the English Language by George Orwell 1946
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm

I was guilty of a lot of these instances when I wrote a PDR for the first time. I particularly like the rule "Never us a long word where a short one will do."

In all honesty, I agree 100%. I have seen multiple times on this forum people complaining that they can not get a hold of their CFRC. They they have called a bizillion times emailed a million times and still nothing.  Now perhaps this is because you are not using proper grammar or you are not giving enough information. I went to the recruiting center about 3 weeks ago and the recruiter I spoke with told me that all the online application's go to North Bay, then get transferred to your local CFRC. He also told me that North Bay is "over swamped and under staffed", so not to expect them to even get to my application for a little while. Well i applied just a little over a week ago, and i sent in my supporting documents only a few days ago. I thought there might be an issue with one of my documents, so i sent them a friendly email to make sure all was going along smoothly. Not only did they reply WITHIN 24 hours but they had also told me that my application was already looked over and that it was "ready for the next step of processing" and that they had already sent it to my local CFRC. I have no doubt in my mind that the reason it went so quickly is because of my friendly, concise, and grammatically correct email. Now don't get me wrong I am not saying you have to be an English major and use big fancy words, just make sure what your asking makes sense and that they have all the info they need in order to find your application.

My apologies if i went a little off topic, this is my (hopefully helpful) rant for the night.
Thanks all and I hope all goes well for my fellow hopefull recruits.

Perhaps you're post would be "helpfull" if you could spell helpful (oh and hopeful)....

rebeccag19 said:
Perhaps you're your post would be "helpfull" if you could spell helpful (oh and hopeful)....

FTFY  :)

Pat.Sim said:
  In all honesty, I agree 100%. I have seen multiple times on this forum people complaining that they can not get a hold of they're their CFRC...

Missed that little bit too.

MM

Ha ha I even spell checked! The hopefully hopefull was done on purpose it was supposed to be an irony thing.. I guess no one got that. However, good eye medicineman for catching the they're. that truly was a stupid mistake. Another thing I want to add is i think there should be a Roasted smiley.
Oh and rebeccag19 you are right with helpful but it IS hopefully, Maybe check your grammar before correcting someone else's?

Ah yes!  MS Spell Check.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/18156/post-90412.html#msg90412

Oh and ********* you are right with helpful but it IS hopefully, Maybe check your grammar before correcting someone else's?

I think I may have offended someone with this. I was not trying to be rude or disrespectful, I was just simply stating that maybe people should check what they have written before trying to correct someone else. My apologies if this came off the wrong way!

Pat.Sim said:
I think I may have offended someone with this. I was not trying to be rude or disrespectful, I was just simply stating that maybe people should check what they have wrote written before trying to correct someone else. My apologies if this came off the wrong way!
      :not-again:

there-their-theyre-26253.jpg

You know we can see that you've edited your posts after your mistakes have been pointed out.

Posted by: Journeyman
« on: Today at 10:31:35 »

Last Edit: Today at 11:04:45 by Pat.Sim

Just quit while you're ahead....  ::)

Yes I do know I have edited them afterwords, I am using them to help with my own grammar (I never said I was great at it). I appreciate the corrections, there is only one way to get better! It's kind of ironic that I had written "wrote", considering this was one of the things that we had gone over in class as a "common mistake". 

Back