• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

I think if any one is caught betraying there country like the 17 who where caught in Toronto regardless of who they are  they should be executed after a swift trail that will send a message that where not going ot tolerate that kind of behavior in Canada.

North Star said:

My solution: Room 101 (Anybody get the reference?)

Reference:  1984, by George Orwell.  Room 101 contained "the worst thing in the world", which, as a recall, for our heroic protaganist was rats. 

I imagine for the Khadrs, it would be pigs.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&pubid=968163964505&cid=1153433434529&col=968705899037&call_page=TS_News&call_pageid=968332188492&call_pagepath=News/News

Khadr turns his back on American legal help
Detainee wants to meet with Canadian lawyers Letters blamed
on Toronto teen's state of mind
Jul. 21, 2006. 01:00 AM
MICHELLE SHEPHARD
STAFF REPORTER

Guantanamo Bay detainee Omar Khadr has written letters to his Canadian lawyers and mother, telling them he no longer wants help from the Washington attorneys who have advocated for his release, or the military lawyers who were appointed to defend him.

The 19-year-old former Toronto resident also requested that all court applications filed on his behalf be withdrawn and asked to meet with the two Edmonton-based lawyers who have been fighting for his rights in Canada, but who have not yet talked with him.

The letters were written earlier this month and brought to Canada by an official with the Department of Foreign Affairs who visited the teenager at the U.S. naval base in Cuba.

His writing is filled with spelling and grammatical errors and without punctuation.

"i hope you are not mad on me and am not and will not and dont thank because im not writing you often its because the situation down here thes days but will write when it gets better and please dear mom don't be mad," he writes in the July 13 letter to his mother Maha Elsamnah, who lives in Toronto.

"i have fired all my American lawyer i think i'm better with out them and Allah is our defender and helper."

Edmonton-based lawyer Dennis Edney said yesterday that he would try to get to the navy base to visit Khadr, but that his transportation is dependent on the co-operation of the Canadian and U.S. governments and so far has been denied.

"He has been treated badly by the same U.S. authorities in Guantanamo Bay who have provided him with their own military lawyers to represent him," Edney said. "In those circumstances it must be difficult for him to trust anyone."

The letters came as a shock to Lt. Col. Colby Vokey who was appointed to defend Khadr and has just returned to the U.S. after travelling to Afghanistan, Toronto and Ottawa to meet with those who know the teenager. But Vokey said yesterday he wasn't surprised that Khadr would be suspicious of any Americans and said he thinks the teen's detainment, now back in solitary confinement, is taking a toll.

Khadr was one of 10 detainees at Guantanamo charged with war crimes for allegedly throwing a grenade that killed a U.S. soldier during a July 2002 battle in Afghanistan. The top U.S. court ruled last month that the military tribunals violate American and international law but the U.S. administration has said it will work with Congress to develop a new process.

Calls to close Guantanamo got louder recently with the suicides of three of the 460 detainees.

"There have been the suicides, then the Supreme Court decision and he's held all alone. This is one confused kid down there," Vokey said.

Vokey intended to meet with Khadr this week but said he was told at the last minute that there wasn't a seat on the military flight he was scheduled to take.

This is not the first time Khadr has said he wants to fire his lawyers. Last year, before Vokey was appointed, he wrote a similar letter saying he no longer wanted to meet with his non-military American lawyers Muneer Ahmad and Rick Wilson, who are also representing him at Guantanamo and in a civil case challenging the legality of his detention.

The lawyers later met him and said Khadr changed his mind and blamed his letter on the helplessness and desperation he felt at the time.

Ahmad and Wilson have been concerned about Khadr's mental state for months and have been lobbying to get independent doctors to the base so he can be assessed. The Pentagon has refused the request, saying there are medical professionals at the camp who can treat him.

Remember it was Jean Cretin who PERSONALLY intervened to get this family new passports after they "lost" theirs while training in Afghanistan with  Osama et al  . . .. . translation they sold them to counterfeiters.

Next time somebody praises Chretien's PM reign, remind them that a sitting CanadianPrime Minister personally responded to a terrorist's con job and got a whole family of terrorists new international travel documents.

Chretien . .  french for ASSHOLE

http://www.torontosun.ca/News/TorontoAndGTA/2006/08/11/1744314-sun.html

Fri, August 11, 2006
'Everyone's against us'
Khadr matriarch says Muslims being targeted by media, cops

By NATALIE PONA, TORONTO SUN

Fatmah Elsamnah hadn't heard about the plot revealed yesterday to allegedly blow up U.S.-bound planes.

And she didn't know about this summer's arrest of alleged terrorists in the GTA, she said.

The matriarch of the Khadr family, who has two grandsons in custody on terrorism charges, said she doesn't watch the news anymore, troubled by what she contends are Muslims being targeted by the police and the press.

"They're always against us because we are Muslim. Everyone's against us now," Elsamnah said yesterday, from her Scarborough home.

"We have a big problem. We live in agony," said Elsamnah, 66, whose family knows Osama bin Laden. "(The media) write against us like we are your enemy. Why?"

The allegations against her own family prove officials can be wrong, she said.

"Many people are in jail now. Why?" she said, of the recent arrests. "They are innocent. They did not do anything, at least in Canada."

Elsamnah's grandson, Abdullah Khadr, 24, was arrested here in mid-December at the request of the U.S.

His brother, Omar, 19, has been in a Guantanamo Bay jail since 2002 when he allegedly threw a grenade that killed and wounded American soldiers in Afghanistan.

They are the sons of Ahmed Said Khadr, killed in a firefight with Pakistani forces in 2003.

No one believes the accusations against her family are false, she said, adding her experience is just the new way of life for Muslims.

"We sit and wait for God's help. We are helpless. Nobody wants to know the truth," she said. "I run away to Canada for a free country. Now I am in jail in my house. I go outside and my neighbour looks at me like I am a criminal."

Where is the smiley face with a violin. So sad, too bad

"They are innocent. They did not do anything, at least in Canada."

At least in Canada? Rationalization like that is mind boggling ...

I dont recall if it was the 70''s or 80's when some Armenien??? I hope I got the origin right, Group Capped a security guard at the Turkish embassy.

One of their lawyers said that Canadians were racsist for objecting too immigrants dragging their quarrels over with them.

I guess that makes me a racsist

Oh well

They are innocent. They did not do anything, at least in Canada
Isn't Terriosm aginst International law? and when we do catch you and deport them, everyone b*tches and says there going to be Tortured.

Nobody wants to know the truth

WE know the thruth, but you CAN'T handle the truth.

GAP said:
Afghanistan  :)

No no, we can't send them there!

One of her grandchildren was paralysed in a firefight with US troops. Since he needs medical care and appliances, we will keep him here and pay for it, so he doe'snt have to suffer.

Only patriotic Canadians go to Afghanistan.  ::)

Roy Harding said:
Reference:  1984, by George Orwell.  Room 101 contained "the worst thing in the world", which, as a recall, for our heroic protaganist was rats. 

I imagine for the Khadrs, it would be pigs.

+1 for ya mate.

Cheers,

Wes

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Worthington_Peter/2006/09/01/pf-1791710.html

Give this Khadr a break
By PETER WORTHINGTON

If you ask me, Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay got it wrong when he refused a passport to Abdurahman Khadr for security reasons.

What he should have done is okay 23-year-old Abdurahman his passport -- and start moves to revoke the Canadian citizenship of the rest of the Khadr family, which appears to have more allegiance to al-Qaida than to Canada.

When Federal Court Justice Michael Phelan ruled last June that Abdurahman should not be denied a passport, it surely obligated MacKay to issue him one.

For those with short memories, Abdurahman has said he rejects the al-Qaida creed and is at odds with the rest of his family.

True, he has freely admitted that when he was a kid, his family lived in Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida compound in Afghanistan, and he was in training to be a suicide bomber or fighter.

When captured in 2001 by the Americans and sent to Guantanamo Bay, it turned out there was not only no evidence against him, but he apparently co-operated and was released.

He says he's against terrorism, and that he helped U.S. security in Cuba and Bosnia -- a claim the Americans don't challenge.

The rest of the Khadr family are another matter -- notorious for exploiting Canada and supporting our enemies.

The patriarch of the family, Egyptian-born Ahmed Said Khadr, was in custody in Pakistan in 1995 and charged with trying to blow up the Egyptian embassy. He was released as a goodwill gesture at the personal request of then-PM Jean Chretien, but killed in 2003 when Pakistani troops attacked an al-Qaida position.

It was then learned that the elder Ahmed Said Khadr was an al-Qaida financier, had moved his family to live in bin Laden's compound and enrolled his sons in al-Qaida training.

The youngest son, Karim, was partially paralyzed by a gunshot in the same battle in which his father was killed.

Another son, Omar, was the only survivor in a fight with Marines and is now in Guantanamo, charged with murdering a medic with a grenade and wounding another who treated him (the wounded medic's family is suing him).

Another son, Abdullah, is in Canada, fighting extradition to the U.S. for allegedly supplying al-Qaida with weapons.

Abdurahman's mother and sister returned to Canada to get medical treatment for Karim and when interviewed, proclaimed faith in al-Qaida and reviled Canada -- the mother even declaring pride if her son became a suicide bomber.

Only Abdurahman has categorically rejected his family's ethic, and proven by his actions that he wants a normal life.

One wonders why CSIS and the government have it in for him. Why shouldn't he have a passport? If other countries don't want him as a visitor, they can refuse him a visa.

I'd argue Abdurahman has earned an opportunity to prove himself a worthy citizen. Unless there's something we don't know, MacKay should return and renew his passport.

More serious are terror suspects who are not citizens and face deportation who want -- and in some cases get -- the freedom of our streets. If we won't deport illegals who claim they'll be mistreated if they're sent home, surely Canada will become a haven for undesirables.

Small wonder some view Canada as an incubator for terrorists. If we catch them, or even suspect them, we don't get rid of them.

At least Abdurahman Khadr has shown by his actions that he is not a terrorist. So give the guy a break.

Ottawa's silence on Omar Khadr
TheStar.com - opinion - Ottawa's silence on Omar Khadr
April 04, 2007
Article Link

"Guantanamo should be closed ... there is a taint about it."

That was U.S. Defence Secretary Robert Gates, speaking to American lawmakers just a few days ago about the infamous military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where 385 alleged terrorists are being held. He is right. The "military commission" trials being held at "Gitmo" are a travesty of justice that sully America's image and discredit its war on terror.

The American Civil Liberties Union calls the military trials "a mockery, no better than a kangaroo court." And the Democrat-led Congress is considering a bill to reverse a law passed last year by Congress when it was led by the Republicans that stripped away the right that detainees had to contest their incarceration in regular U.S. courts.

Yet even as Americans themselves recoil at the abusive system Washington created to deal with "enemy combatants," Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government remains publicly indifferent to the fate of the only Canadian detainee, Omar Khadr, at that very system's hands.

Now 20 years old, Khadr has been held since he was 15. He may soon face a renewed murder charge before a military commission for killing Sgt. Christopher Speer during a firefight between Al Qaeda and U.S. troops in Afghanistan in 2002. Because the U.S. Supreme Court last year found the previous military process to be unlawful, the charges were quashed. Now, under a rejigged process, they may be reinstated. Khadr faces a maximum sentence of life in prison with no parole.

The trial this week of Australian David Hicks, another detainee held for five years, showed just how shabby the Guantanamo process is. Hicks pleaded guilty to supporting terror and drew nine months, to be served back home. In exchange, prosecutors extracted a statement from Hicks that he had not been subjected to "illegal" treatment, had him waive his right to sue for damages and imposed a one-year gag order not to talk about his detention. Why were military prosecutors so eager to restrain Hicks in so many ways? To insulate themselves from claims of abuse?

Khadr can expect nothing like a Canadian standard of justice if he is put before a military commission. True, he belongs to a notorious family that supported Al Qaeda. But, like every accused, he should have due process.
More on link

From later on in the article:

Canada's Youth Criminal Justice Act sets a maximum six years in custody for first degree, planned and deliberate murder, and four years for second degree. By our standards, Khadr has done ample time even if he were found guilty. Releasing him into Canadian custody, with a bond to keep the peace, should not shock the American public conscience.

That fact that deliberate planned murder by a youth in canada only nets max 6 years should shock Canadian public conscience.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/War_Terror/2007/03/08/3715883-cp.html
U.S. to charge Khadr with murder

WASHINGTON (CP) - The Pentagon has formally approved charges against Canadian terror suspect Omar Khadr.
The move means Khadr, the only Canadian held at the U.S. prison camp in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, will face arraignment within a month and the start of his tribunal within four months. Khadr, 20, is accused of murdering a U.S. medic in Afghanistan in 2002.

He also faces charges of attempted murder, conspiracy, spying and providing material support for terrorism.
Khadr has been in U.S. custody since he was 15, and his lawyers have repeatedly urged Canada to step in to ensure his rights aren't violated.

The original charges were thrown out last year when the U.S. Supreme Court said the legal process for so-called enemy combatants was illegal, but Congress has since passed new rules for Guantanamo prisoners.

The one big thing that concerns me is that, some time, some day, this fella will be released from jail and be allowed to return to Canada (he is a Citzen after all!).

5 years of cooling his jets in Guantanamo and saaay a 10 to 20 yrs conviction.  Talk about a fella that'll have an attitude.  What are you & I going to do with someone like that?

Whats one more with the thousands and thousands we have roaming around now after doing 20 years in jail?

Back