• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

Yrys said:
Most want Khadr to face justice in Canada, poll finds

OTTAWA  -- Most Canadians believe accused terrorist Omar Khadr should be
returned to Canada, but a healthy plurality want him to face justice here rather
than simply being turned loose, a new poll indicates.

Fifty-four per cent of respondents to the Canadian Press Harris-Decima survey
said Khadr, held by U.S. authorities for more than six years at Guantanamo Bay
on murder and other charges, should be brought back to Canada. That included
38 per cent who said he should face the courts in Canada, while 16 per cent
said he should be released and placed in a monitoring and rehabilitation program.
Twenty-nine per cent of those questioned said Khadr should be dealt with through
the U.S. court system.

The results were sharply split along party lines, reflecting a political debate that
has gone on for months. Some 44 per cent of Liberal supporters thought Khadr
should be tried in Canada while 24 per cent said rehabilitation in Canada would
be the best course. Only 20 per cent favoured trial in the United States. Strong
pluralities of NDP, Bloc Quebecois and Green party supporters also opted for trial
in Canada.

By contrast, 46 per cent of Conservative backers said Khadr should be tried
through the U.S. court system, while 31 per cent said he should return to Canada
for trial and only eight per cent favoured release under a rehabilitation program.

There were also regional variations in the results, with support for a Canadian
juridical process strongest in Atlantic Canada at 47 per cent, Ontario at 41 per
cent and Quebec at 40 per cent. Support for U.S. judicial proceedings was highest
in British Columbia at 38 per cent and Alberta at 32 per cent.

Jeff Walker, senior vice-president of Harris-Decima, summed up the bottom line:
"Canadians are clear that they believe Mr. Khadr should face a trial, but moreLIBERALS
believe justice is best served if he faces it here (rather) than in the U.S."

Toronto-born Khadr, now 22, has been charged with murder and a variety of other
terrorism-related offences. The murder allegation arose from the death of a U.S.
soldier in a firefight in Afghanistan in 2002 when Khadr was 15. He had been slated
for trial before a military tribunal at Guantanamo, but those proceedings were put
on hold -- along with those of several other detainees -- by the new administration
of President Barack Obama.

Obama has also signed an order to close the much-criticized Guantanamo detention
facility within a year, but it remains to be seen what will happen to the prisoners held
there. Some may be released, while others could be kept in custody elsewhere and
tried under a yet-to-be-determined process.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has said repeatedly his Tory government will wait for
the U.S. legal process to play out before considering repatriation for Khadr, the last
citizen of a western country held at Guantanamo.

Opposition critics say Ottawa should press for his return now and maintain he could
be tried in Canada under a process that reflects his juvenile status at the time of the
alleged offences.

There has been heated debate, however, about exactly what charges Khadr could face
in Canada and the chances of a conviction. Many legal experts say most of the evidence
compiled by U.S. authorities was obtained under duress, using sleep deprivation and
other abusive techniques, and wouldn't be admissible in a Canadian court.

Some of his supporters have advocated a rehabilitation program that would include
psychological and religious counselling and close monitoring to help him reintegrate
into Canadian society.

The telephone poll of just over 1,000 Canadians was conducted between Jan. 22 and 25.
The results are considered accurate within plus or minus 3.1 per cent, 19 times in 20.

I shouldn't be surprised by this, that liberals/granola munchers want this turd, to be tried here, with our oh so lenient legal system, but it is still aggravating.  I mean seriously try him as Juvenile? WTF?!?!? I can see it now on the news "The Afghan detainee, whose identity we can no longer show, was released on bail pending a show cause hearing" "The Afghan detainee, who's identity is protected under the YCJA, was sentenced to time served, and released to Keele St. halfway house". 

....to help him reintegrate into Canadian society.

I'd say that's a pretty forlorn hope, given that none of his family members have ever actually integrated into Canadian society in the first place.

The only saving grace is that as a guest of the Americans he has already served more time than he would have here in Canada under the YCJA.

KJK :cdn:

Journeyman said:
I'd say that's a pretty forlorn hope, given that none of his family members have ever actually integrated into Canadian society in the first place.

Oh I don't know about that. They seem to have "integrated" into the use the public healthcare, collect welfare for life,  parts of Canadian Society really well  ::)

Canoe news poll:

Can Omar Khadr be 'reintegrated' into Canadian life?

Yes  3%
No  47%
It should be attempted  8%
It should not be attempted  38%
Unsure  4%

Total Votes for this Question: 513 

Danjanou said:
Oh I don't know about that. They seem to have "integrated" into the use the public healthcare, collect welfare for life,  parts of Canadian Society really well  ::)

Don't forget....."repeated replacements of their passports for use by others"

To be brief:

Deport them. They are leeches...worse. They have used our laws against us.
We've extended a hand of friendship and they have seen fit to spit on it.
The vast majority of Canadians would be shocked to hear of this IF the MSM would report it.

Deport them about 20 miles off the coast without a boat...

Now, now.  Stop being such grumpy old men.  Remember many of us did some pretty wild and crazy things in our youth:  Sneaking into theatres, smoking in washrooms, chugging beer through a straw under a pool table, assembing bombs, lobbing grenades at our country's allies  - you know, that sort of impishly innocent youthful mischief.  We should be ashamed of ourselves for being so intolerant of the young lad and his fine, upstanding,  family.

I read that Bob Rae is actively hounding the government to brin our poor misunderstood young chap home.
Mr. Rae should volunteer to counsel and mentor this poor young person, in Mr. Rae's home.

That might be a little too rough for Bob Rae. How about shared custody between him and Taliban Jack?

KJK :cdn:

Let's get young Omar and the rest of the Khadr family re-integrated and accepted by Canadian society by giving him the starring role in a new sitcom Little Bomb Factory On The Prairie.

KJK said:
How about shared custody between him [Bob Rae] and Taliban Jack?
Now I understand the expression, "by resorting to torture, we stoop to their level." Man, that's just harsh; I think that would be considered 'cruel and unusual' punishment.

(Although Infidel-6's suggestion may please Greenpeace. After all, we would be providing sustenance to natures' lovely sea creatures. Taliban Jack would have to back that  ;D )

Infidel-6 said:
Deport them about 20 miles off the coast without a boat...

ROTF pissing self

Kev, I just love the level of your political correctivenss  ;D

:cheers:

Wes

Let’s get serious about Omar
Wed, 2009-02-11 23:30. Brian Lilley
Article Link

Omar Khadr's lawyers, supported by community groups, "civil society" and politicians in Ottawa have presented a plan for bringing Omar Khadr back to Canada. The idea is for the government of Canada to enter into negotiations with the US government and Mr. Khadr to have him come back to Canada to live under specified terms.

According to Khadr's legal team, the agreement would set out where he would live, not with his family but a host family. There would be a team around Omar to provide for his schooling, he would be home schooled. An expert in torture would offer any needed counselling. There would be spiritual advisors who would make sure that young Mr. Khadr would be schooled in Islam but they stressed at their news conference it would not be a radical form of Islam, and all those around him would denounce terrorism.

It sounds like a wonderful plan to reintegrate Mr. Khadr back into Canadian society, but let's call this plan what it is. A sham.

I will not argue that Omar Khadr will need help reintegrating into Canadian society at some point and in his case, the John Howard Society might be a bit stretched to give everything this guy will need. But to think that a man who faces no charges in Canada, has not been convicted of any crime anywhere in the world, can be compelled by the government of Canada to submit to this plan is a joke.

Omar Khadr is a Canadian citizen. While many see him as guilty of the crimes he was alleged to have committed on the battlefield, no court has pronounced a sentence and if he is brought back to Canada without first being convicted in the United States, Omar Khadr will never be convicted anywhere.

Dennis Edney, one of Khadr's Canadian lawyers, says his client is willing to face trial in Canada. All the while, Edney and his partners will also tell you that there is no way that IF their client were to face charges here he would ever be convicted. Omar Khadr is alleged to have thrown a grenade at the end of a battle, killing a US medic. Canadian law is not set up to prosecute people for crimes committed overseas.

Ah yes, but what about treason you say?

I have yet to speak to a single lawyer, expert or otherwise that believes Canada's treason law, as written, would apply to Mr. Khadr. So, if he comes back to Canada he comes back a free man.

I'm not writing all this to say Omar Khadr will never or should never come back to Canada. Khadr was born in Canada and is thus able to claim civis Canadianus, all rights accorded to a Canadian apply to him. At some point, as his supporters say, he will come back.

Liberal MP Bob Rae has been using this argument all week, that since Khadr will one day come back, he should come back under negotiated terms. Let's examine this. If Khadr and the government reached a deal saying that he would live with a nice family in Mississauga, study, attend the local and non-offensive mosque and be seen by a shrink, what would stop him from reneging on the deal once he was back in Canada? Nothing.

Such a deal would violate The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms under sections 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12 and 15. To sum that up, it would violate Khadr's rights to freedom of association; mobility; life, liberty and security of the person; the right not to be arbitrarily detained; his right to equality before the law. Such a deal, in short, would be thrown out in court. What judge, seeing that Khadr had signed this deal to get out of a prison alleged to be a place of torture, would not dismiss the deal and state plainly that without charges or convictions the government has no authority to tell Mr. Khadr how to live?

Omar Khadr's case is not a simple one. Its time politicians, journalists and others who should know better, stopped pretending it is simple.
More on link

Overwatch Downunder said:
ROTF pissing self

Kev, I just love the level of your political correctivenss  ;D

:cheers:

Wes

I'm just trying to save the Cdn taxpayer money...  ;)

"If Khadr and the government reached a deal saying that he would live with a nice family in Mississauga, study, attend the local and non-offensive mosque"

Oh no.  He should have to live with a nice conservative family in say Ardmore AB or Biggar SK that has about half a dozen beefy farm boys in it to keep him to the arrangement if, of course he actually lives past the first week.  Oh that's right no mosque there. So.......

Engage the Rant Off button before I get canned.

GAP said:
Let’s get serious about Omar
Wed, 2009-02-11 23:30. Brian Lilley
Article Link
Amongst the various views, rants (mine included), and wack-job propaganda out there, this is probably one of the best I've read.

And sadly, it's most likely correct.

I increasingly suspect that Khadr will end up back in Toronto, free, living with his Canada-hating family, swarmed with apologists, with both a muti-gazillion dollar law-suit against Canada and a book/movie deal in the works.

What happens next is, of course, up to him. Will he have matured and learned anything positive from all this and move forward in a manner beneficial to himself and society? Or will he become the poster child for further factionalizing Canadian society?

I'm not much of a gambler, but......

I still say trial him with treason, and if he doesn't get convicted send him to a pro-Canadian foster home somewhere up north, and close enough to Alaska that it wouldn't take to much effort to hand him to the CIA. 

Christie Blatchford's take in the Globe (.pdf attached in case link doesn't work).....
....Maybe Mr. Khadr, 15 at the time he was arrested, wounded, in the aftermath of that battle, didn't throw the grenade. Maybe he's just a poor boy (now, of 22) who needs a little TLC.  But the memory of Sgt. Speer, a son of the country which is our greatest ally, requires that Canada do more than put up a banner and throw a pretty party. There needs to be a proper prosecution, in a civilized country where the rule of law matters, where the evidence is put to the test at a trial. That country should be the United States...

Back