• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

>child soldier

A useful concept (particularly to protect the very young teenagers and pre-teens conscripted by armed mobs) which has been distorted beyond use, not the least by the scolds who won't pass up a chance to browbeat countries like Canada so that we were forced to take action in respect of our minimum ages of recruitment into a professional, ethical army governed by a competent authority.

I wish that he'd just shut up and lead a quiet life. His celebrity status is a constant and unnecessary irritation.

He's served a reasonable sentence, and it's time to move on. For everybody. And especially him.

The gross overpayment was wrong and remains annoying, but his claim that the "settlement is not only for me it's for every Canadian" is extremely offensive. None of us received any benefit from that, but we all helped to pay for it, and make a former enemy rich.

I don't need the reminder.

Loachman said:
The gross overpayment was wrong and remains annoying, but his claim that the "settlement is not only for me it's for every Canadian" is extremely offensive. None of us received any benefit from that, but we all helped to pay for it, and make a former enemy rich.

I detest the way this whole thing played out and continues to garner too much attention.  However, the "gross overpayment" is one fifth of his claim of suit against the Crown for his rights being violated, which was the finding of the Supreme Court.  It quite probably would've cost Canadians tens of millions more in legal fees to defend a case which we would've lost had his claim gone to trial.  We got off cheap.

Second, I take his statement that the settlement was fr all Canadians to mean that maybe the Government will think twice about the financial and political cost before allowing a similar set of circumstances to befall another Canadian.

I will agree that the optics and politics of this suck.  I'll also state that he should never have been accorded the celebrity status conferred by that CBC program as he is in the same league as Bernardo, Olsen and Picton.  A convicted killer.  Will any of them be the next guests on that show?  Probably not, because they don't fit the government's narrative of the rehabilitated returning foreign fighter.

Hamish Seggie said:
Rehabilitated? Time will tell. I have my doubts.

As do I.  But given his "red" celebrity status, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Liberals didn't trot him out as a shining pre-election example of how they stood up for the "Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian" slogan used to counter Harper in 2015.

Right next to Joshua Boyle.

We should all show up at the next interview and throw sandals in his general direction. Just being culturally sensitive and all that.

Khadr is appealing his war crimes conviction: https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/u-s-military-court-appoints-panel-to-hear-omar-khadr-s-war-crimes-appeal-1.4610196

"In October 2010, Khadr pleaded guilty to five purported war crimes before a widely maligned U.S. military commission and was sentenced to eight more years in prison. He later said he pleaded guilty as his only way out of Guantanamo Bay.
Khadr's appeal argument -- with some support from U.S. courts -- is that the commission convicted him of offences that weren't crimes at the time he allegedly committed them. However, the U.S. Court of Military Commission Review that sits as a first appeal forum for commission verdicts has steadfastly refused to hear his case.
That precludes Khadr, who turned 33 last week, from taking his fight to a civilian appellate court where normal rules of evidence apply."

Are Canadian taxpayers are funding these legal proceedings?

Cloud Cover said:
Khadr is appealing his war crimes conviction: https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/u-s-military-court-appoints-panel-to-hear-omar-khadr-s-war-crimes-appeal-1.4610196

Are Canadian taxpayers are funding these legal proceedings?

Doesn't matter either way; taxpayers pay for it directly or indirectly through the millions the Canadian gov't awarded him because of various "abuses" he suffered at the hands of Canadian officials.

Oh FFS Romeo Dallaire et al, I assume that Dalhousie won't be giving equal time to a presentation on 'Dead US soldiers' rights'  ::)

Event Details

The Roméo Dallaire Child Soldiers Initiative, in partnership with Dalhousie University’s Open Dialogue series, is hosting an exclusive event with keynote speakers Omar Khadr and Ishmael Beah.

https://alumni.dal.ca/?post_type=apt_event&p=48123&preview=true

Post-Millennial Article https://www.thepostmillennial.com/breaking-omar-khadr-is-giving-a-keynote-address-at-dalhousie-university/

CloudCover said:
U.S. Court:  No appeal for YOU!
An American civilian court has refused to order a military court to decide an appeal from former Guantanamo Bay prisoner Omar Khadr.

In a brief decision this week, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit denied Khadr’s request to force the issue.

“At this time, (Khadr) has not demonstrated a ‘clear and indisputable right’ to the extraordinary remedy,” the court said ...
A bit more @ the link.

Haggis said:
As do I.  But given his "red" celebrity status, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Liberals didn't trot him out as a shining pre-election example of how they stood up for the "Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian" slogan used to counter Harper in 2015.

Right next to Joshua Boyle.

Well, let them.  Never interrupt an enemy while they are making a mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWJeBN6tCA&feature=youtu.be

Anyone see this on the Cdn National News? The complete clip?

One of the three medals he is wearing is a Sacrifice Medal which means he was wounded by hostile action(info for non military readers).

An “insult to the Waffen SS” is all most people heard. New headline:  Racist White Canadian Veteran Praises Nazi SS and Hitler Youth in Child Soldier rant.

Back