• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

George,

As we have seen before, some Canadians in foreign custody get government attention...

450_ap_martin_080417.jpg

...and some don't.

Send her back to Mexico......

As far the court and Khadr..........."notwithstanding clause"

As an aside, most Canadians in custody, including the weeping ones, in most foreign countries are there because they screwed up; we have free will; we make choices; then we pay the price for our personal choices.

The problem with written constitutions, like part of ours, is that they are rarely if ever drafted well enough to cover all sensible eventualities without admitting a whole bunch of nonsensical ones, too. Thus we have lawyers, (nothing wrong with lawyers, they are, by and large, honourable men and women doing the  best they can to serve their clients) successfully, parsing every adjective and semicolon to find a way to make anyone and everyone a victim of the system.

I suspect that, eventually, an honest and honourable judge, maybe several of them, will decide that Khadr's rights were, indeed, breached and that it was our fault - yours and mine - and our money must be paid to provide acceptable redress. Governments and voters will weep and wail but we all will pay.

I think there is 150 mothers, wives or husbands who need that 10 million.

That 10 million this terrorist gets will go first to the lawyers, then to his terrorist supporting family.

Give me a break. :rage:

Just sent this to our local MP:

"Good day sir:

I noticed with interest in the last week or so that two individuals, one accused of murder and the other a convicted murderer are seeking recompense from our nation.
One is Omar Khadr, who has been accused of murder as a fifteen year old while in Afghanistan, and since capture has been held prisoner by the United States of America in Guantanamo Bay. Mr Khadr is accused of murdering an American soldier, a medical soldier, with a grenade.
Now Mr Khadr wants ten million dollars in recompense because his "rights" were violated by a Canadian CSIS official.

The second case I bring to your attention is Clifford Olsen, a convicted child serial killer. Mr Olsen has been incarcerated for a number of years, and is oone of Canada's most infamous serial killers. Mr Olsen is threatening to sue the Government of Canada if he does not receive his pension at age 65, claiming his "rights" will be violated.

Mr. Fletcher, our son Corporal Michael James Alexander Seggie, Second Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, Canadian Forces was Killed In Action on 3 September 2008. This is not what our son died for. He was not off in Afghanistan fighting so an accused terrorist can profit from his misadventures. Mike did not die in Afghanistan so Clifford Olsen could collect an old age pension and continue to haunt the memories of his victims families.

Mr Fletcher, we beleive that over thirty million Canadian citizens' rights have been violated by even entertaining the thought of paying these two individuals off. It insults the memories of over 100,000 Canadians who died during all our wars doing  their duty for their country. It makes a mockery of what well over one million Canadians who have served in the military have accomplished.

Mr Fletcher, we strongly encourage you to bring this to attention of the Prime Minister and the Canadian Parliament, and strongly encourage all Members of Parliament to "Just Say NO to Omar Khadr and Clifford Olsen".

Thank you for your time."

Last week, from the Federal Court of Appeal....
Canada's federal court on Monday gave the government up to seven days to remedy its breach of Guantanamo inmate Omar Khadr's rights.

In its ruling, the federal court said the government has so far failed to suitably rectify the transgression, even after being ordered to do so by Canada's highest court at the start of the year.

Khadr is entitled to "procedural fairness and natural justice," judge Russell Zinn said in his decision. "The steps taken to date were found not to remedy the breach." ....

Today, from Canada's Minister of Justice/Attorney General:
The Honourable Rob Nicholson, P.C., Q.C., M.P. for Niagara Falls, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, made the following statement today regarding the Government of Canada's decision to file an appeal to the Federal Court of Appeal in the Khadr v. Prime Minister of Canada et al. case:

"After careful consideration of the legal merits of the July 5, 2010, ruling from the Federal Court, the Government of Canada will appeal the decision to the Federal Court of Appeal.

"This case raises important issues concerning the Crown prerogative over foreign affairs.

"As the Supreme Court of Canada ruled in an earlier case involving Mr. Khadr, 'it would not be appropriate for the Court to give direction as to the diplomatic steps necessary to address the breaches of Mr. Khadr's Charter rights.'

"Omar Khadr faces very serious charges, including murder, attempted murder, conspiracy, material support for terrorism, and spying. The Government of Canada continues to provide consular services to Mr. Khadr."

Would it be wrong of me to say that I and every person I have ever come in contact do not consider the boy a Canadian because of what he's done? Heck, his mother is just as bad.

Let the little terrorist rot.  :nod:

Crap like this makes my blood boil. That man doesn't deserve a cent from Canada.

Ezra Levant has some commentary on this misunderstood Canadian high school student....worth reading a different opinion for a change.

www.ezralevant.com

HavokFour said:
Would it be wrong of me to say that I and every person I have ever come in contact do not consider the boy a Canadian because of what he's done? Heck, his mother is just as bad.

Let the little terrorist rot.  :nod:

With all due respect, the little so and so is a Canadian by birth.

... according to Angus Reid:
.... Polling Data
As you may know, Canadian citizen Omar Khadr has spent more than seven years in the Guantanamo Bay detention facility, charged with throwing a grenade that killed a U.S. soldier in a July 2002 firefight in Afghanistan. Khadr, the son of al-Qaeda fighter Ahmed Said Khadr, was 15 when the alleged incident took place. Which of these policy options would you prefer in this case?

Jul. 2010 May 2010 Feb. 2010

Leaving Khadr to face trial by military commission in Guantanamo Bay
43% 46% 40%

Demanding Khadr’s repatriation to face due process under Canadian law
36% 36% 40%

Not sure
21% 19% 20%

Source: Angus Reid Public Opinion
Methodology: Online interviews with 1,003 Canadian adults, conducted on Jul. 12 and Jul. 13, 2010. Margin of error is 3.1 per cent ....

A bit more on attached news release.

- Hey, I live in Edmonton, he can move across the street from me. Given the gluebags who live there now, I doubt anybody here would notice the difference.

So the majority of people polled want him to be tried in Gitmo. Sounds like a plan.

Maybe we should send his entire family there for moral support.

Regards

Interestingly enough, Omar Khadr's older sister Zaynab, married Joshua Boyle, son of Canadian Federal Tax Court Judge Patrick Boyle.  Apparently they met online while researching terrorism.

Sprinting Thistle said:
Interestingly enough, Omar Khadr's older sister Zaynab, married Joshua Boyle, son of Canadian Federal Tax Court Judge Patrick Boyle.  Apparently they met online while researching terrorism.

- Well, tribal alliances are the key to this messy business, aren't they?

Court ruling clears way for Khadr’s Guantanamo trial
Khadr
Any chance the Canadian government would come to Omar Khadr’s rescue before his murder trial starts in Guantanamo Bay next month seems to have been washed away with a court ruling.

The Federal Court of Appeals has sided with the Harper government, staying an order that required the Conservatives to quickly come up with and pursue ways to help the young Canadian terror suspect.

The court found a judge had overstepped his authority by ordering the government to help Khadr and by setting himself up to supervise and approve its actions.

article continues...
                  (Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act)

Huzzah! At least there's one judge in Canada that can look past politics and make a judgement based on the law.

This from QMI/Sun Media:
The court-appointed lawyer for Canadian terror suspect Omar Khadr wants the U.S. Supreme Court to stop Khadr’s soon-to-be started trial for several war crimes.

U.S. Army lawyer Lt. Col. Jon Jackson argued that the military commissions set up at the Guantanamo Bay U.S. Naval Station in Cuba to try Khadr and other suspected terrorists is unconstitutional and unfair.

He asked the Supreme Court Monday to suspend Khadr’s military commission trial – set to begin as early as Aug. 10.

A U.S. Appeals Court was first asked to rule on the constitutionality of the military commissions back in April, but has not yet done so.

Jackson told the Supreme Court it needs to step in or Khadr “will suffer very significant harm” if the trial proceeds without the appeals court delivering its ruling.

The legal manoeuvre is Jackson’s first since he became Khadr’s court-appointed counsel after Khadr fired his civilian lawyers last month and told military commission judge Col. Patrick Parrish that he would boycott the proceedings and represent himself ....

More from Postmedia News, CBC.ca and the Associated Press.

Timely, as the US Supreme Court will be numerically left leaning as Ms Kagen, who soon to be confirmed, adds to the tilt.

I'm not really sure how Khadr "will suffer very significant harm" if the USSC allow the commission to proceed, and then overturn its findings...Probably hyperbole.

Back