• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The lack of leadership

Hmmm, call me intellectually stunted, but there were surprisingly few "why askers" when 3 PPCLI BG deployed to Afghanistan on combat operations 3 years ago.   Yes, we had our share of the "sick, lame and lazy".   Having said that, for the first time in my 25 years of military service we had a huge number of soldiers at all rank levels going to the MO and saying "screw my category - I want to go".   And go they did.   I know, because I was one of them who deployed with a fairly painful hip/groin injury following a bad para-landing that put me on crutches.   But if you thought for a second that I was going to miss out on that deployment?   Yeah, right.

Apparently many 3 PPCLI soldiers (of all MOCs) thought like I did.   The troops quite literally flocked to the deployment, including those who were on legitimate medical categories.   The handful who balked were far (far) outweighed by those who sought the challenge, and the nay-sayers were quickly side-lined.  

Hmmm... what's my point?   Well, I guess it is this.   Those of us who deployed on Op APOLLO all had our personal doubts.   Those doubts certainly came home to roost the first time that we were ordered to air-assault into a situation that had henceforth been a total shite-hole for elements of the 101st Airborne Div and 10th Mountain Div.   The fact that we launched the first battalion-level air-assault in Canadian Army history with a minimum of planning and based on fundamentally bad intelligence certainly didn't help matters.   Nor did the fact that battle procedure went out the window.   Our soldiers flew from Kandahar on the military version of "planes, trains and automobiles" in a big hurry using everything within the U.S. inventory.   The troops exited C-130s and C-17s from Kandahar, walked across the tarmac at Bagram, picked up two 81mm Mortar bombs (2 per man), got a two-minute briefing on the situation, and then boarded Chinooks in-bound for the Shah-i-Kot.   And they did so fully expecting 80 to 100 dug-in enemy awaiting them.

Regardless of what came to pass, the fact is that everyone of all ranks who got on those helicopters in-bound to the Shah-i-Kot expected a contested LZ, followed by a knock-down, drag-out fight for every metre along the 5km length of that mountain.   The "hindsight" fact that there was minimal contact is utterly irrelevant in my humble view.   3 PPCLI troops were told that it would be a shite-storm.   Yet they got on those helicopters without flinching.   To a person (yes, both men and women), they did their duty - most never having thought in their wildest dreams that it would actually come to that.   Some of the unit officers (myself included) had the dubious benefit of having viewed the horrific fate of U.S. Navy SEAL Neil Roberts via Predator footage.   We knew that capture was not an option, and let me tell you that such knowledge has some pretty profound implications.

Doubts?   We all have doubts.   But when we join, train, and then don the cap-badge?   Be it Infantry, Armour, Artillery, Engineer, Logistics, Administration, or whatever?   We all have a job to do.   Every single one of us in uniform will always harbour doubts about what we are doing and whether or not our personal/family risks are worth the long-term benefit.   Such doubts are basic human nature.   The fundamental question is whether or not we allow our personal doubts/uncertainty to supercede our commitment to serve.   That is an entirely individual question, and it is one which the military system seeks to render moot through group psychology (bonding, esprit, etc).   Does it work?   Well, all I can say is that it worked in spades for 3 PPCLI three years ago.   The members of that battlegroup were collectively "good to go", and they proved it repeatedly.   Op HARPOON in the Shah-i-Kot was not the most risky mission conducted by 3 PPCLI BG.    Not by a long-shot....

All of that to say that doubts are healthy.   They inspire personal introspection and renewed dedication to the cause/the unit/the company/the section/one's fireteam partner.   And once you are forced to come face to face   with your personal doubts?   You overcome them as a result of personal pride combined with the loyalty and credibility-based indebtedness that you owe to your fellow soldiers.   That is what allows us to overcome personal fear. It is a combination of personal pride and the obligation to do our part.   Combine those attributes with the pure sort of friendship that can only come from shared extreme hardship?   Then you have a winning combination.  

Soldiering sucks from time to time.   It is quite safe to say that soldiering occasionally really sucks - really badly.   But at the end of the day?   I've yet to experience any other occupation where the personal rewards and sacrifices reach such extremes.  

Uncertainty?   It is an occupational "given" for soldiers.   Either deal with it and move on, or remove the uniform and take your place within society at large.   You can be a provider of security or merely a recipient.   By the same token, you either adopt the mentality of a "sheep dog" or merely a "sheep among the flock".   The choice is entirely yours.   There is no shame in either, but there is a certain subtle pride in being and pursuing the former....  

Do I always want to know "why"?   Absolutely.   And as a commissioned officer, (time and circumstances permitting) it is my duty to explain the "why" to my subordinates.    But..... But there are times when even I don't know "why".   And it is at those rare (but inevitable) moments that the demands of military duty truly come home to roost.  At those times I must simply solidier on and ask my subordinates to do the same - without being able to say precisely "why".   That is the fundamental essence of service to one's country.   Those "ask not why" situations are admittedly rare, but they do occur.   There are times where we simply need to "do or die / suck it up, butter-cup".    If you can't/won't handle that fundamental reality?   Well, then don't bother applying.  Adherence to lawful orders is a fundamental fact of military life.   Your concurrence is neither required nor solicited.

Make your informed choice, then live (or die) with it.   We're not talking rocket-science here....

+1 - Mark has encapsulated why most of us do our job and thrive off the people we work with.

Sir,

Thank you for your post.

For the last few months I have been thinking about the world situation and wondering what our position is and whether it is the right one. I think that I have become somewhat fixated on the US and Iraq so much that I haven't been paying enough attention to what my own Army is up to. Until recently, that is, after reading a few different articles and threads, like this one. I never really believed we were a nation at war, I'm  now convinced we might be but I don't think I will be convinced that we actually are until I see and hear the reaction of the Gov't and the people of Canada once the Army starts killing people. I believe Canadians are ready for casualties but I'm not sure they're ready for the killing part, not to be glib.

From what I've seen there is a strong anti-military sentiment here in the nations's capital, Toronto, and I'm not sure they're going to react well once they figure out that that their Army is at war against the very same enemy the US is. The way the historic "first shooting" was covered in the press doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling nor does the Senator's comments, nor Martin's underwhelming leadership (passed through Scott Reid of course) so far. I might be making more out of it than there really is, I'm just hoping we're not getting into something that will hurt the Army in the way it has been hurt in the past.

I'm really curious as to what public opinion really is on the issue, and frankly I think there should be a referendum on the matter. If the public aren't going to support you guys there is no point in going and losing one life to it. When I was in Croatia the popluar and semi-official theme was " forget the mandate, lets just try to go home with everyone in one piece".  In that case we had the publics support because they didn't know what was going on on the ground vs. what they were being told by the media. As usual they were beign told what they wanted to hear. I don't think today anything is any different in that regard, but I fear what the Canadian public wants to hear.   

I hope that I am being clear enough in my support for the Army though. There is no doubt that, as always, the Army will perform each and every task with the same professionalism and dedication that Canadian soldiers have for generations. I have been somewhat cynical of Army leadership and the organisation in general having dealt with it from a slightly different aspect than most but it gives me great confidence when I read some of the posts from our senior Reg Force soldiers and warriors who are actually going in harms way. 

Regards,

Andrew

Great post Mark like I said my eyes were open when I signed on the line.
i do what I have to, I mite not always agree with it but I still do what has to get done.

A soldier shouldn't have to worry about violating his own ethical standards, because his soldiering ethical standards are dictated to him.  Unless there has been a complete breakdown of principle in the government and the military chain of command, there won't be an ethical issue.

If a soldier is worrying about his own ethical standards, that's the civilian part of him eclipsing the professional (hence disciplined, ethical, etc) soldier part.

I don't agree.

If a soldier has to worry about violating his ethical standards than one of two things have occurred:

1.  He doesn't share the same ethical standards as a soldier should, and thus should not be a soldier.

2.  The state no longer supports the ethical standards which supply to a soldier from a civilized country, and the soldier should refuse the unlawful order.

Probably along the lines of what you wanted to say anyway, but I think it's important to articulate the difference.  Our ability to recognize #2 is what makes us the "good guys", and is what has differentiated troops of the Commonwealth tradition from other nations. 

Gunnar said:
I don't agree.

If a soldier has to worry about violating his ethical standards than one of two things have occurred:

1.   He doesn't share the same ethical standards as a soldier should, and thus should not be a soldier.

I notice more and more the newer people coming into the forces don't share the ethical standards a soldier should have. They are civies in green uniforms looking for a job they are not here to serve there contry

sigtech said:
I notice more and more the newer people coming into the forces don't share the ethical standards a soldier should have. They are civies in green uniforms looking for a job they are not here to serve there contry

Interesting observation you make. In 1997-98 I had the opportunity to visit all the US service academies: West Point, Annapolis, etc. During the briefings that we were given (as well as at the USMC Recruit Depots at Lejeune and San Diego..) the point was made that there was a serious need to teach ethics to officer candidates, because so many people coming into the US forces lacked any useful grounding in the ethical standards needed to be an effective leader. I was somewhat surprised (and a bit smug...) but I have since come to agree with you. Our history over the past decade or so has revealed to us (and unfortunately to the world at large...) that we had a bunch of people, at all rank levels, who didn't care much for an ethical way of doing things. Fortunately, we have now begun to entrench the business of teaching (and more importantly, practicing...) ethics in our training system and in our leadership doctrine. At the Canadian Forces College where I work, it is an important part of studies in both the junior and the senior courses.

Of course, I am not so naive as to think that those steps will be "silver bullets" by themselves. You have to "live" a code of behaviour, not just talk about it, or put it in books, or make wall posters or catchy slogans about it. And, you are right: we are drawing our recruits from a   society in which good examples of ethical and moral leadership are sadly few and far between, while egregious examples of grossly unethical behaviour are numerous, in your face every day, and apparently rewarded by fame and sometimes by fortune. We are not out of the woods yet, by a long shot, but if there is any organization that must have its ethical and moral head screwed on tight, IMHO  it's us.   Cheers.

sigtech said:

That is unfortunately painfully obvious at some (but not all) HQs.   It seems the higher the HQ, the more prevalent the attitude that this is "just a 9 to 5 job".

pbi said:
Fortunately, we have now begun to entrench the business of teaching (and more importantly, practicing...) ethics in our training system and in our leadership doctrine. At the Canadian Forces College where I work, it is an important part of studies in both the junior and the senior courses.
.....You have to "live" a code of behaviour, not just talk about it, or put it in books, or make wall posters or catchy slogans about it.

I remember a great film, entitled "A Scotch Christmas", which I showed during CFJLC/CFJNCO courses back about 5 years ago.   It was an Aussie Army production (almost needed subtitles ;D) which showed an ethical dilemma.   This sparked a very heated discusssion on every course I showed it to.  

Unethical behaviour must not only be dealt with, it must be SEEN being dealt with.   Concealing unethical behaviour and it's consequences (either administrative or disciplinary) will be seen as condining such behaviour from others.

Ethical standards of soldier these have changed as the Army has addopted a new method of thinking and getting the job done. Like I said in a preivious post I find the ethics now becomeing more and more lacks and I have found that some of the newer don't have the healthy fear that we had even a few years back.

Mabey it is time to bring back some of the old Army

just a thought

Back