• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Next Canadian Government

Got a link to a story on that one? I’m curious to find the case and how it played out.
That has happened here in Manitoba as well, but it took place so long ago - and I think the complainers were told by the courts "you knew about smell and yet you moved there - too bad for you. " Basically pound sand you urban idjits.

Angry Yosemite Sam GIF by Looney Tunes

That has happened here in Manitoba as well, but it took place so long ago - and I think the complainers were told by the courts "you knew about smell and yet you moved there - too bad for you. " Basically pound sand you urban idjits.

Angry Yosemite Sam GIF by Looney Tunes
Yeah, I’m just doubtful the farmers had too much of a problem in the case he’s referring to. Fundamentally the courts will defer to the law, including lawful land use.

I am starting this new thread because of today’s announcement that the NDP has cancelled the Confidence and Supply Agreement; that means that we may have an election well before Oct 25.

I am assuming, based on recent polling, that the next government will be a Conservative majority regime.

I am also assuming that the Conservative Party will begin, soon, to make some concrete policy announcements that will be based on its Sep 23 Policy Declaration.

My opening shot is: Democratic Reform.

My starting point is an interesting article by John Ibbitson in today’s Globe and Mail in which he mentions the importance of the Salisbury Convention - another act by a member of the great family of my avatar. The key point of the Salisbury Convention is that the unelected Senate of Canada may NOT overrule the government on any matter that was part of its election platform.

In its Policy Declaration the Conservative Party said (page 5) “The Conservative Party supports the election of senators … [and] … The Conservative Party believes in an equal Senate to address the uneven distribution of Canada’s population and to provide a balance to safeguard regional interests.”

I believe, very firmly, that an elected Senate is important. Canada is one of the very few modern nations that still has an unelected legislative body. I also believe that a federal state needs a bicameral legislature where one chamber represents each community (constituency) (Chambre des Communes/House of Commons) while the other represents the provinces which are the “partners” in the federation.

I am far less persuaded that an equal Senate is important. I know that it works for the USA and I know that the ratio of California:Wyoming (39M:0.6M) is not too much different from the ratio of Ontario-PEI (14M:0.14M). I think Canada should have a regionally balanced Senate. The six regions are BC, the Prairies, Ontario, Québec, Atlantic Canada and The North and First Nations communities.

I think the Senate of Canada MUST consist, only, of elected members. I also think that there is an ironclad rule of Canadian politics which says that Québec never loses. I believe that Québec would, rightfully, says that it lost ground if it had the same number of senators as, say, New Brunswick or Saskatchewan. I neither know nor care what the optimum mix of elected senators is - lets say that Atlantic Canada keeps 30 and Québec and Ontario also get 30 senators each. Should the the Prairies provinces get 30 senators between them? I neither know nor do I care a great deal … BUT, in the 21st century, Canada should NOT have an unelected legislative chamber.

I believe that the Conservative Party must state, in its 2024/25 election platform, that it will press for an elected and effective Senate of Canada.

I believe that senators should be elected during each provincial general election using a proportional representation system. Individual senators may then caucus with like minded senators from other provinces. This will make the politics of the federal legislature more complex and it may, eventually, negate the need for the Salisbury Doctrine.

Let's pretend you got your wish. How would the GoC dismiss the current senators, meaning what mechanism exists for this ? Or would it simply be a legislative manoeuvre?

How is an equal vote making them a second class citizen? Source for 80 percent of the GDP being generated in rural areas / by those residing in rural ridings? Because according the Ministry Respnsible its 30% Rural opportunity, national prosperity: An Economic Development Strategy for rural Canada
Almost all of the electricity for the cities comes from rural areas. Not to mention milk, wheat, eggs and for a lot of cities their water as well. Not to mention the wealth from producing minerals, oil, gas, lumber. Anyone that believes that equals 30% is having number games to put it politely.

Yeah, I’m just doubtful the farmers had too much of a problem in the case he’s referring to. Fundamentally the courts will defer to the law, including lawful land use.
Generally those are "Coming to the Nuisance" laws. It is one area where in Canada that the tie goes to the urban sprawl in the name of progress...
There is a lot of case law on it.

Almost all of the electricity for the cities comes from rural areas. Not to mention milk, wheat, eggs and for a lot of cities their water as well. Not to mention the wealth from producing minerals, oil, gas, lumber. Anyone that believes that equals 30% is having number games to put it politely.
So that’s a no for a source to support your claim then?

Here’s a break down of the GDP by industry, take a look and where agriculture (despite its obvious importance) actually sits. Along with primary resource extraction.

And if you want a second source here you go Gross domestic product (GDP) at basic prices, by industry, annual average

Let's pretend you got your wish. How would the GoC dismiss the current senators, meaning what mechanism exists for this ? Or would it simply be a legislative manoeuvre?
It might be a slow process ... the process of converting the US Senate from being appointed (by state legislatures) to being directly elected (the 17th Amendment to the Constitution) took several years of wrangling and persuasion just over 100 years ago. I think a political carrot and stick approach will be necessary to persuade most senators to resign their seats and to persuade Canadians to want to elect their Senate.

Got a link to a story on that one? I’m curious to find the case and how it played out.
sorry no, they were my neighbours that were involved and they ended up selling the cattle and selling the land for more townhouses: which wasn't their initial intent. It happened fairly quickly too as they didn't want to be involved in litigation and the expenses involved. They were hereditary farmers and this goes back to the early 80's

It doesn't matter if 99% of Canada's GDP comes from activities that happen in cities. Cities are decidedly not autarkies. They'd collapse into savagery without energy, food, and materials from the hinterlands. That doesn't mean we ought to entertain schemes for disproportionate rural representation-by-population. It does mean urban voters ought to be educated to understand how vulnerable they are to mere dumb insolence, and therefore how important it is to not be a tyrannical majority.

And the 80% that live in the cities are the ones buying the energy, milk, wheat, eggs, minerals, oil, gas and lumber from the 20% which provides their income.

Personally I'm fine with the compromise that over-represents the rural and small province populations...I'm just pointing out that it's not a simple one-way street where Rural = Give (Good) and Urban = Take (Bad)

Back