• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Next Conservative Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the party will be pressured to having the leader come from Ontario or Quebec.

I think that the main reason the press and the Laurentian Elites dislike Mr Harper is that he identifies as being from the west. How dare an Albertan seek to be PM? Doesn't he (she) know that right exists solely for those from central Canada? etc etc

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail is an article about the forthcoming CPC leadership contest:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/tories-face-question-of-harpers-replacement/article26881918/
gam-masthead.png

After Tory election debacle, who will replace Stephen Harper as leader?

STEVEN CHASE
CALGARY — The Globe and Mail

Last updated Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2015

The leaderless Conservative Party will have an interim chief before the Trudeau government lays out its agenda in a Throne speech.

Defeated Conservative leader Stephen Harper resigned from the helm of the party Monday although he remains Prime Minister until the handover to Justin Trudeau takes place.

po-elxn-tories19nw1.JPG

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper leaves a polling station after casting his ballot in the federal election in Calgary, Alta., on Monday,
          October 19, 2015.                                                                                                          (DARRYL DYCK/THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Conser‎vative Party president John Walsh has issued a statement urging the shrunken 99-seat Tory caucus to select an interim leader “as soon as is possible.” Mr. Walsh said he will convene a meeting of the party's National Council to set out the rules for choosing a leader.

Mr. Harper will continue to sit as an MP and has asked that “a process to both select an interim leader and initiate the leadership selection process in our party begin immediately,” Mr. Walsh said.

After nearly a decade in power, the Conservatives now find themselves back in the political wilds.

The party will shortly be leaderless, with a reduced bench in the Commons lacking many of the seasoned veterans who left politics in recent years including Peter MacKay, John Baird, James Moore and the late Jim Flaherty.

They’ve got a lot of rebuilding ahead of them.

With major TV networks projecting a majority Liberal government late Monday evening, Mr. Harper has conceded defeat and is making plans for life after politics after nine years and eight months in the Prime Minister’s Office.

The Conservative Party announced Monday evening that Mr. Harper is quitting as leader, with party president John Walsh releasing a statement saying he’s been instructed to ask the newly elected Tory caucus to appoint an interim leader and arrange for a leadership race.

The biggest question facing the Tories, of course, is who takes over from Mr. Harper?

There’s no simple answer for the Conservative Party, which might as well be called the Harper Party because it is a creation of the Calgary MP who has put his indelible stamp on the political organization he co-founded in 2003. Plus, there’s no heir apparent chomping at the bit to take over like, for instance, Paul Martin in 2003 when Liberal Jean Chrétien quit power.

Yes, there is Jason Kenney, the 47-year-old Calgary lieutenant of Mr. Harper’s. He’s built a strong support base among immigrant groups across this country as the Conservative ethnic outreach czar. He’s more socially conservative than Mr. Harper but has proven himself to be media savvy and adept at winning allies over the years.

People close to Mr. Kenney say he’s ambivalent about whether he should try to succeed Mr. Harper. Still, he’s distinguished himself as one of the Conservative Party’s most competent cabinet ministers and people familiar with his thinking say he would consider the job only if he feels no sufficiently competent replacement could be found.

Asked Monday night whether he would run for the Conservative leadership, Mr. Kenney replied: “All those questions are for another day.”

He did however offer frank criticism of the Conservative campaign, saying the Tories got the tone wrong in how they talked to Canadians. “I think our obvious weakness has been in tone, in the way we’ve often communicated our messages. I think we need a Conservatism that is sunnier and more optimistic than we have sometimes conveyed.”

Mr. Kenney refused to lay blame at Mr. Harper’s feet alone.

“We have to take collective responsibility for that.”

On the Red Tory side of the party, Mr. MacKay – the other co-founder of the Conservative Party, is still a potential candidate despite his much publicized retirement from politics this year.

An Atlantic Canadian Conservative candidate told The Globe and Mail that he and other Tory candidates received a request from Mr. MacKay for their phone numbers – a query they took as a sign that the former Nova Scotia politician has not ruled out a comeback.

One challenge for Mr. Kenney and Mr. MacKay, should they consider running, is whether they can disassociate themselves from the Harper era, having served in his cabinet for so long.

Another name bandied around is Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall, who has repeatedly begged off when asked about whether he might seek the job.

The departure of Mr. Harper threatens to reopen the rift in the 12-year-old party between the rock-ribbed Reform Conservatives and the centrist Red Tories who merged in 2003 before going on to win office in 2006. This could play a big role in the coming leadership race as factions struggle for control.

One former Conservative cabinet minister, speaking on background, said the next leader has to be someone who can unite the two sides of the Conservative Party and that, in his mind, means either Mr. Kenney or Mr. Wall.

Could the Tories reach into the past for a new leader? There’s talk of former Quebec premier Jean Charest as a candidate. Before he governed Quebec, Mr. Charest helped rebuild the Progressive Conservative Party that eventually joined forces with the Canadian Alliance to form the Harper Conservatives.

And Conservative Party sources say Ontario’s Tony Clement and Kellie Leitch, who both served in the Harper cabinet, have been considering leadership runs.

A Liberal majority government, as projected by TV networks Monday night, means the Tories don’t need to rush in choosing a new leader because another election is four years away.

One of the advantages of a Liberal majority government is that the CPC does have time to stop, think and rebuild under a new leader. One would hope that there might be a policy convention before ~ some months before ~ the leadership contest. (Consider, for example, that Bob Rae spent nearly two full years (May 2011 to April 2013) as interim leader of thew Liberals while the party reconsidered positions and goals and then chose their new leader.)

Dr. Kelly Leitch would be a good choice as an interim leader,  if she could be persuaded to put down the scalpel. Very, very bright person, great sense of humour, works well under pressure and encourages subject matter experts to shine. Definitely not a control freak, and would not surround herself with people like that.

It is time for CPC v1.0 to be deactivated and removed as a supported product. It had a successful run, it was simply outclassed by better marketing by competitors. There is lots of time to rebuild and recover the electorate next go around, and they better have a Katniss (think Jennifer Lawrence of Hunger Games stock) leading the team. Someone inspirational, talented, and quite correctly, someone who projects energy with a fit and healthy lifestyle, positive and determined disposition, and emotion. No more robots.

I sympathize with the desire for inspirational leadership, but I'm getting quite effing tired of the widespread narrow-minded bigoted disapproval and open prejudice against people who are by nature reserved, withdrawn, shy, low-affect, competent, confident, disinclined to talk everything over ad nauseum, etc.  It is bordering on being a public epidemic of harassment and it is pissing me off.

The obvious candidates:

kenney_0.jpg
ambrose_0.jpg

Jason Kenney                    and              Rona Ambrose
                                              Both senior ministers
                                              Both re-elected in 2015

To recently "retired" senior Conservatives:

177_1_jpg_142x230_autocrop_q85.jpg

John Baird                  and    Peter MacKay
                        Neither seems really unavailable

And two newcomers who have performed well in cabinet:

kellie_leitch.jpg
otoole.jpg

Kellie Leitch                    and                  Erin O'Toole

And my choices for interim leader:

NicholsonRob_CPC.jpg
clement_0.jpg

Rob Nicholson      or            Tony Clement

The CPC is not short of talent.

E.R. Campbell said:
I was going to post this deadline: Doug Ford would consider running to replace Stephen Harper at the Conservative helm in the On the lighter side [of politics] thread, except that I suspect that Doug Ford would have a fair amount of support ... so it's not funny, is it?

Doug-Ford.jpg

Doug Ford to run for Conservative Party leadership? 
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/20/doug-ford-to-run-for-conservative-party-leadership

"Ford is one of the names being bandied about to replace defeated Conservative Party leader Stephen Harper."

"A day after the Conservative loss, Ford said his phone was ringing non-stop about a possible leadership campaign."

Stolen from another site

What Happens Now?

The Lion in Winter

British conservative commentator Tim Montgomerie divides conservatives into three camps he identifies as ‘Classical Liberals’, ‘Nationalists’ and what he calls ‘the Freedom Party’ but, I’ll call them the ‘Reactionaries’. 

I think it’s a fairly accurate analysis of the forces inside conservative parties around the world. 

The Tory fate this election, much like James Goldman’s famous portrayal of Henry II leaves us with an aged King near the end of his reign and three sons – our aforementioned conservative tribes – looking to succeed him.

Classical Liberals encompasses most of what we used to call the old PC Party. Montgomerie describes them as fiscally conservative but more inclined to use higher revenues and surpluses on public services. They want to reform the social safety net, not deconstruct it. They’re culturally pluralist, socially liberal and have a strong multilateralist streak internationally. (e.g. Bill Davis, Brian Mulroney, Brad Wall, John Tory)

Nationalists - as described by Montgomerie - are fiscally conservative, more culturally integrationist on issues like immigration, more likely to use revenues and/or surpluses to cut taxes and more inclined to business friendly economic policies and are suspicious of international institutions. (e.g. Mike Harris, Stephen Harper 2006-11, Peter MacKay, Ralph Klein, David Cameron)

Reactionaries - as described by Montgomerie - want to deconstruct the safety net, radically cut taxes, are climate skeptics, strong international unilateralists, socially and culturally conservative and are skeptical of any use of state power in the economy. (e.g. Rob Ford, the Tea Party, Stockwell Day, Stephen Harper 2011-2015, UK Independence Party)

Obviously, within these different groups there are varying degrees of right and left as well. Davis would be on the left of the Classical Liberal, Wall would be closer to the right. Latter stage Harper is a pretty mild Reactionary, the Tea Party is fairly radical version of the same. The main force of the argument being that they have more in common with each other than with the other tribes.

The Wars of the Roses

Handicapping any leadership race requires an examination of the following facts. While Classical Liberals likely have the greatest appeal with the Canadian electorate, they’re also the smallest contingent inside the party. Over the course of the Harper years, fewer and fewer of them have been inclined to stay involved in the Party and, while their might be a large number of non-Party members who could buy memberships and vote as party members in favour of a candidate, they’re also the least likely to do so.

I will say this. In my experience inside the Party, while Classical Liberals tend to be the smallest group of operatives, they also tend to be the most talented.

Everyone who isn’t a conservative, thinks that reactionaries make up the largest constituency in the Party. They don’t. They are, by far, the loudest. There’s a temptation in every leadership to appeal to these voters because they’re the easiest to motivate and the most responsive to wedge issue politics. In the era of the political convention, they were the easiest to ignore constituency because they didn’t go to Delegate Selection Meetings and didn’t go to conventions. 

Somebody, I will flat out guarantee, is going to pander to this group hard. Look for somebody to press a reactionary G-spot on pro-life issues like abortion or physician-assisted suicide. Another big bugaboo for this group at the federal level is the CBC. That might be a cheap pander for one of the non-reactionary candidates looking to peel off votes on subsequent ballots.

Nationalists are the largest group in the Party but they’re also the least cohesive. You can’t win without them, but they also won’t back a single candidate. The winning candidate is the one most likely to break off the biggest chunk of these voters. 

Wars are Moral Contests

My political science professor once said that the central question that every voter, politician, political theorist and political journalist is trying to answer: Cui Bono? – Who benefits?

The way this campaign ended, the clear loser is the far right of the Conservative Party. If ever there was a campaign targeted at motivating them and winning on their values, it was this one. It has been rebuked by the electorate, and those things associated with it are toxic to the other parts of the Tory electorate. That’s particularly true because of who they lost to. Certainly no one can argue that Stephen Harper lost this election because he sold out to the middle.

However, the Party finds it harder to stay angry at the right than it does at the middle and the worst thing that you can be called in any Tory leadership is a “Liberal”. Believe it or not, there are actually parts of the conservative base that find it easier to be called ‘racist’ and ‘homophobic’ than ‘Liberal’.

Yeah, I know, that part pisses me off too. 

That means that, if you’re on the Classical Liberal wing of the Party, you have to find issues where the Party’s mainstream and the electorate’s mainstream overlap and just try not to talk about anything else. 

Shorter leadership benefits the change agents who show the greatest difference from the old regime. Longer leadership benefits the people with ideological similarities to the old regime who can successfully motivate the Party’s hard right wing into fearing change more than losing to the Liberals.

The Princes in the Tower

All this leads to the question: who succeeds Stephen Harper? 

Well, most Tories will agree that three candidates are guaranteed locks to run. They would be Jason Kenney, Kellie Leitch and Maxime Bernier. Kenney’s been prepping this run for a couple years. Leitch has been setting the ground with her persistent touring during the election campaign. 

Bernier isn’t running because he necessarily believes he can win but he wants to get back on to the front bench and he’ll want to ensure more issues get debated that sheer electoral competitiveness.

It’s also, by the way, a good idea for the Tories to have a francophone in the race. 

The early attention is going to be on who’s considering running but hasn’t made up their mind. Some focus is going to be on a couple women in Lisa Raitt and Rona Ambrose. If even one of them gets in, it’s a statement about how fluid the race is perceived to be. 

The two big wild cards are Peter MacKay and Brad Wall. MacKay left the federal scene back in May. His wife recently gave birth to their second child. There was an assumption that he stepped down to spend time with his family and take his first real break from politics in 18 years. 

But whenever I talk to MacKay people the line I get back is “The Party still has a leader”. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when that’s no longer the case. MacKay has some baggage from his time as Defence Minister, particularly the use of a SAR helicopter to pick him up and get him to an event. However, recent evidence has emerged that the use of the helicopter may have been ordered by the PMO.

For whatever reason, MacKay still has an emotional pull for a lot of Tories. That’s not something the others enjoy. Tories just seem to like him.

Wall has more issues than MacKay. His name recognition is lower and he has no organization immediately available outside of Saskatchewan. But he’s probably got more things going for him than the other candidates including no connection to the Harper regime and experience running a government. Wall’s concern though is similar to a Jon Huntsman in the 2012 Republican primary or Vic Fedeli in the 2015 Ontario PC Leadership – in a fair universe, he’s probably the candidate that should win. But politics is the ultimate unfair universe. Also, he continues to claim he’s not interested. I’ve talked to those who think he’s serious. I’ve talked to those who think he’s trying to get drafted. Not sure who I believe.

Both have the greatest potential to be the “not Kenney” candidate. If the other candidates get priced out of the market – which could easily happen – it could come down to one, or both, of these gentlemen against Jason Kenney. 

Court Jester Factor

I don’t think Doug Ford is serious about running. I think he likes being asked. There were no guarantees that he could have won the Ontario PC leadership if he’d run. There are certainly no guarantees that he’d even be competitive in a federal leadership because of the lack of organization outside the GTA.

One thing is for certain, the media loves the Ford circus. The attention that it pays to Fords actually gives them more influence than they’re capable of wielding. Notice that every time they’ve tried to exert their influence in a non-municipal election, they’ve failed miserably. 

The Party can deal a further blow to a potential Ford candidacy if it puts measures in place that severely limit the abilities of candidates to self-fund. 

Black and White Knights

I did some calling around today and a Jean Charest candidacy is a real thing. I’m trying to figure out how. 

With the scandals that swirled around the end of Charest’s tenure as Premier of Quebec, I’m shocked that anyone thinks the Liberals wouldn’t eviscerate him as a candidate. But, that having been said, he has many of the same brand benefits Wall has. He has little or no connection to the Harper regime, he’s run a government and he’s from the Party’s more moderate wing. Working against Charest is his age, particularly against Trudeau.

His fundraising and organization network could still surprise.

The name I was most shocked to come across this morning – and I’m not sure that I actually believe – is Mark Mulroney. True, the middle Mulroney brother, has been making some of the right political moves lately. He raised some cash for John Tory, he’s on the board of Toronto’s Luminato Festival and chaired the Gala Committee for the National Ballet.

He’s also the head of Equity Markets and a Managing Director at the National Bank of Canada – as his day job. 

If he wanted it, and we really have no indication whether he does, he’d have no trouble raising the money necessary. The problems would come from the fact that he’s never held political office before, or even run. That means he doesn’t have an organization to speak of in a political sense. Also, Tory voters are a little different, they’re less likely to look favourably on someone going right into the big chair. 

But, hey, it’s not like the Liberals would have a leg to stand on if they said he only got where he is because of his name…

E.R. Campbell said:
The obvious candidates:

kenney_0.jpg
ambrose_0.jpg

Jason Kenney                    and              Rona Ambrose
                                              Both senior ministers
                                              Both re-elected in 2015

To recently "retired" senior Conservatives:

177_1_jpg_142x230_autocrop_q85.jpg

John Baird                  and    Peter MacKay
                        Neither seems really unavailable

And two newcomers who have performed well in cabinet:

kellie_leitch.jpg
otoole.jpg

Kellie Leitch                    and                  Erin O'Toole

And my choices for interim leader:

NicholsonRob_CPC.jpg
clement_0.jpg

Rob Nicholson      or            Tony Clement

The CPC is not short of talent.

Got any personable young women with tolerable social conservative inclinations, strong fiscal inclinations, speaks unaccented english and hails from Quebec?

Interesting rumbling from the Conservative camp that I was not expecting.

For all of the talk of the CPC and their large war chest, and how they would be ready for another election right away, rumor has it that the party is in debt.

Chris Pook said:
Got any personable young women with tolerable social conservative inclinations, strong fiscal inclinations, speaks unaccented english and hails from Quebec?

Well, Chris, there are:

9074.jpg
sylveiboucher-450x300-000000.jpg

Sen Josée Verner                                                      and                                          Sylvie Boucher
                                  Who would, presumably                                                                                                Just re-elected
                                  have to resign from the                                                                                            in a Quebec City riding
                            Senate and win a HoC seat if she
                                  won the Party leadership

Both are real longshots ... I think the CPC needs to recognize that it's firm base is Alberta, broadly, and in the big city suburbs and "small town Canada," especially in Ontario.

Look at: Richmond, BC, Red Deer, Saskatoon, Simcoe and Orangeville; these and La Bauce and the area around Quebec City and places like Hampton, NB are where the Conservative spirit lives and where Conservative values must be redefined. But the real base of the CPC is in 'New Canada,' West of the Ottawa River and the next leader must be "at home" there.

Altair said:
Stolen from another site

Others potential contenders mentioned in the article Altair copied (without attribution  :tsktsk: ):*

BernierMaxime_CPC.jpg

Brad-Wall.jpg

Ford-tough-guy.jpg

Maxime Bernier      and          Brad Wall            and,                                    even Doug Ford
who, I agree will almost      who I, personally,                        who some conservatives will want but who, fortunately,
certainly be a candidate    would favour, but who,                    has zero (degrees Kelvin) chance of leading the CPC
                                                I think, will sit it out

____
* I know, posting from a phone makes things harder

Doug got 330,610 votes in a municipal election running against two popular contenders.

I understand DoFo Jr. "has zero (degrees Kelvin) chance of leading the CPC". But, I wonder how many votes he would get in a federal election, if he did run.

mariomike said:
Doug got 330,610 votes in a municipal election running against two popular contenders.

I understand DoFo Jr. "has zero (degrees Kelvin) chance of leading the CPC". But, I wonder how many votes he would get in a federal election, if he did run.

Enough to be a MP, for sure.

E.R. Campbell said:

Doug Ford who some conservatives will want but who, fortunately, has zero (degrees Kelvin) chance of leading the CPC

Even they need a Donald Trump type distraction ...

jollyjacktar said:
Even they need a Donald Trump type distraction ...

Doug Ford can be that, for sure, and his candidacy might deprive some others (Jason Kenney? or self-described libertarian Rona Ambrose?) of the hard right support which might be needed ... a spoiler, in other words.

I still think the "old Canada" factor will continue to be the issue. Brad Wall might not suffer as much as others from it, but any new Conservative leader from Alberta will face the same fear and loathing from the Laurentian Elites and the complicit press that Mr Harper did.

ModlrMike said:
I still think the "old Canada" factor will continue to be the issue. Brad Wall might not suffer as much as others from it, but any new Conservative leader from Alberta will face the same fear and loathing from the Laurentian Elites and the complicit press that Mr Harper did.

That's one of the reasons I have both Leitch and O'Toole on my list.

E.R. Campbell said:
Doug Ford can be that, for sure, and his candidacy might deprive some others (Jason Kenney? or self-described libertarian Rona Ambrose?) of the hard right support which might be needed ... a spoiler, in other words.

A spoiler ... or maybe a king maker if the Conservatives go by way of a convention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back