• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Poppy Selling Superthread- Merged

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
ballz said:
I saw someone wearing those, I guess they just pushed the whole thing (white piece and all) through the poppy and made the hole too big? I just use a pair of pliers and bend the metal, they don't go anywhere after that.

Lost mine just this morning as I was entering the building for work, the only good thing I'll ever say about Esquimalt was that I never lost my poppy last year because they approved the metal centers.

Blackadder1916 said:
Fashion item poppy.

Watching Power and Politics today, I noticed the host, Duncan McCue, wearing a large, garish, poppy that appears to be made of some sort of beading.  If the item was provided by some alternative veterans organization, how long before the Legion objects?

I did complain comment by email to the CBC about Mr. McCue's choice of poppy.  They replied today.

CBC Audience Services (CBC)

Nov 7, 12:57 EST

Hello Mr. Xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your email. Mr. McCue was wearing a hand-beaded poppy which was made to bring recognition to and support Indigenous veterans. As you can read in this article on CBC.ca from 2015, the Canadian Legion has indicates that it supports the sale and wearing of these unique poppies so long as they are not produced for commercial purposes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/aboriginal-veterans-remembrance-poppy-beaded-1.3313082

We hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Naill Cameron
CBC Audience Services

Xxxxxxxxx

Nov 6, 18:40 EST

I watched Power and Politics on 6 November 2017 and was somewhat stunned by the large, garish "poppy" worn by that day's host, Duncan McCue. While I have no problem with individuals declining to wear a poppy during the traditional period leading up to Remembrance Day, my expectation would be that, should one wear a poppy (especially if an employee of a government funded entity like the CBC), it be the standard Royal Canadian Legion poppy instead of a jewellery item that says more about the fashion choice of the person wearing it rather than the sentiments expressed in the emblem of remembrance. If the item worn by Mr. McCue was provided by a veterans organization, perhaps one that caters to aboriginal veterans, I wonder what policy they have in regards to the manufacture and use of the symbol that is limited by law to the Legion.

Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxxx

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/misleading-poppy-doughnuts-pulled-from-calgary-tim-hortons-1.3670144

Tim Hortons wisely pulled their unauthorized poppy donuts, could've got real messy.

ref:  CBC.ca

Legion commandeers Wounded Warriors Canada fundraising campaign over use of poppy
Telus page commemorating fallen soldiers used trademarked poppy image
By Robson Fletcher, CBC News

Lots of these media reports rolling in.

Big Spoon said:
Lost mine just this morning as I was entering the building for work, the only good thing I'll ever say about Esquimalt was that I never lost my poppy last year because they approved the metal centers.

Reference with originating authority please... I would LOVE to know .  RCL will have kittens over this one if true and they see this thread :)

Most of us wear a modded center with the premise of not getting 'caught'. I recall a CANFORGEN originating from the VCDS a few years back decreeing the wear of the poppy shall be only with that shitty pin AS RECEIVED and nothing else - NO MODS. I suspect the CANFORGEN was the result of some tired soul at Dominion Command complaining to our dress committee that CAF members were seen wearing modded poppies in uniform - I don't have DWAN access to back search but it is there.

donaldk said:
Reference with originating authority please... I would LOVE to know .  RCL will have kittens over this one if true and they see this thread :)

Most of us wear a modded center with the premise of not getting 'caught'. I recall a CANFORGEN originating from the VCDS a few years back decreeing the wear of the poppy shall be only with that shitty pin AS RECEIVED and nothing else - NO MODS. I suspect the CANFORGEN was the result of some tired soul at Dominion Command complaining to our dress committee that CAF members were seen wearing modded poppies in uniform - I don't have DWAN access to back search but it is there.

I know that last year the company who was selling the poppy pins was asked if they were supporting the legion with a portion of the profits. I guess they said they weren't and this year they are supporting the wounded warriors charity. I'm surprised that the legion is not getting after them.

Every year I buy two poppies and put them onto different jackets, with clasp-type pins.

The Poppy fund is up $10, and at this time of year, the absolute  last thing on my mind is caring about some Legion bureaucrat's hurt feelings.

I appreciate this campaign for raising awareness of Canada's veterans and military sacrifices;  beyond that, it's merely the Legion's annual re-affirmation of why I'd never join.

I picked up a poppy pin last year. Wore it once and was quickly told it was ILLEGAL. Not wanting to risk going to military prison I thanked my CoC for correcting me and switched back to the standard poppy center.

But speaking of illegal, does the RCL now own copyrights to all things poppy related? Even items that loosely resemble a poppy like a donut with jelly in the middle? Where the colour scheme doesn'y even match?

DONtkJNUMAAgTdE.jpg

cr=w:538,h:269

That's quite the copy right.

I remember the centers used to be green. I wonder if the RCL extended the copyright to poppys with black centers. Any way to check?

There is an online tool at the industry Canada website that lets you investigate trademarks and copyrights. http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/home?lang=eng

Green centred poppy: http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=0980289&lang=eng&tab=reg

Black centred poppy: http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=1094997&lang=eng&tab=reg

dapaterson said:
There is an online tool at the industry Canada website that lets you investigate trademarks and copyrights. http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/home?lang=eng

Green centred poppy: http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=0980289&lang=eng&tab=reg

Black centred poppy: http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=1094997&lang=eng&tab=reg

The legion loves to send letters to whoever they feel is violating their trademark, even when they don't have a chance of bringing them to court. That means someone selling beaded poppies for a fund raiser or whatever else legion members report to Dominion Command on. In truth they own the trademark to that exact poppy but they interpret that to mean any poppy, including the British legion poppy in Canada.

They claim to be the keepers of the poppy symbol but did you see some of the crap the sell at the legion poppy store.

https://www.poppystore.ca/

I believe Mother Nature copyrighted the Poppy design used by the Wounded Warriors, she won't mind it's use there.  The RCL should be told to go pound sand up their greedy backsides.

Maybe not the best time of year to ask, but long term, as the RCL represents less and less actual veterans, does anyone think there will be an alternative for members wearing RCL poppies?

With their petty pursuits of the trademark against non-profits, schools, and random internet forums, and the lack of financial accountability, I'd rather give my money to different organizations that actually support veterans, or wear one of the alternate poppies like the Aboriginal Veterans beaded ones.

[quote author=Navy Pete]

With their petty pursuits of the trademark against non-profits, schools, and random internet forums[/QUOTE]
Don't forget mothers of fallen soldiers.
and the lack of financial accountability

Since the RCL can request CAF members at events and soldiers are being paid (and ordered) to go the RCL should have 100% transparency with their finances, IF in fact they don't.

The RCL maneuvered themselves in to having the molopopy on rememberence day ceremonies and really remembrance day itself.  It's bad when I seen a poppy painted in the window of a restaurant today and my first thought was I wonder if they had to ask the legion permission to paint it.

They do post their finances on their website, as per the standard non-profit requirements, but their poppy fund seems to be outside of their operational budget. Also, I don't trust that all the money that goes in the boxes gets accounted for and assume some gets skimmed.

I'm torn though; there are still enough Korean era veterans out and about with the poppies that I donate when they are there, regardless of whether or not I already have a poppy.  I just wish the Dominion weren't such a flaming group of arseclowns, and that they hadn't sold us down the line by supporting the NVC. Not really sure how to support some of the members without inadvertently supporting the Legion, which lost it's way decades ago.

It's difficult in that I think regularly the sacrifice that past generations have made, and people still make today, but really dislike that it's been co-opted by the largely civilian RCL. Thousands of Canadians didn't lay down their lives storming the beaches so some group of numpties could sell (poor representations of) poppies made in China and bully people trying to raise money for actual veterans. At some point it will come to a head, their trademark will get squashed, and the money that should have been used for what it was meant for will be gone.

So if I went to Flanders and took a photograph of poppies which I subsequently used on my own printed material, would I violate their copyright?

Love to see them claim copyright over nature.  Nature was there first.

It's actually Chief Stoker who is the closest to the truth, but the Legion bullies people in thinking otherwise and they relent to avoid the threatened bad press of appearing to be going against "veterans" (as the Legion thinks of itself).

Trade marks protect the exact and specific mark that has been registered or  anything that is trying to mimic it closely enough to cause confusion of the mark. It does not, and especially with something that is otherwise a common object of specific meaning, protect against all such objects being used by someone else nor does it protect the meaning of the object.

For instance, Dove soap has a specific dove design trademarked, but they cannot stop anybody else using a dove - not of that design or close to it -to convey purity, or peace. No more than Apple can prevent people from using the word apple or photos/drawings of apples in their publicity so long as it causes no confusion with their trademarked logo.

So the Legion has no right to prevent people using drawings in general of poppies, or even less so actual pictures of poppies, so long as their design falls sufficiently far enough from their own design to avoid confusion with theirs, nor can they sue anyone merely for using  such other poppies in an association to remembrance of war dead.

For instance, I could make a site dedicated to Canadian soldiers who died in Afghanistan and start it, at the top with a title printed on top of a full width picture of a field of blooming poppies, and there is nothing the Legion could do successfully to contest such use. Similarly, I could take a picture of fields of poppies in bloom and print and sell ties made with the picture and they would be up schitt creek the same way. This is even more so when you consider (and court would!) that the association of the poppy with remembrance of the war dead did not originate with the Legion, but with John MacRae's poem.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
It's actually Chief Stoker who is the closest to the truth, but the Legion bullies people in thinking otherwise and they relent to avoid the threatened bad press of appearing to be going against "veterans" (as the Legion thinks of itself).

Trade marks protect the exact and specific mark that has been registered or  anything that is trying to mimic it closely enough to cause confusion of the mark. It does not, and especially with something that is otherwise a common object of specific meaning, protect against all such objects being used by someone else nor does it protect the meaning of the object.

For instance, Dove soap has a specific dove design trademarked, but they cannot stop anybody else using a dove - not of that design or close to it -to convey purity, or peace. No more than Apple can prevent people from using the word apple or photos/drawings of apples in their publicity so long as it causes no confusion with their trademarked logo.

So the Legion has no right to prevent people using drawings in general of poppies, or even less so actual pictures of poppies, so long as their design falls sufficiently far enough from their own design to avoid confusion with theirs, nor can they sue anyone merely for using  such other poppies in an association to remembrance of war dead.

For instance, I could make a site dedicated to Canadian soldiers who died in Afghanistan and start it, at the top with a title printed on top of a full width picture of a field of blooming poppies, and there is nothing the Legion could do successfully to contest such use. Similarly, I could take a picture of fields of poppies in bloom and print and sell ties made with the picture and they would be up schitt creek the same way. This is even more so when you consider (and court would!) that the association of the poppy with remembrance of the war dead did not originate with the Legion, but with John MacRae's poem.

The challenge coin company Sharkzcoins did a number of coins with their version of the poppy on it, which is different from the trademarked ones. Because its different the legion hasn't a legal leg to stand on. The average person when faced with a legal letter saying they should cease and desist, is going to do it. This is what the legion counts on.

paracord poppy, pin backed and bulletproof. Pucker up and plant one, poppy police.

Attachments

• 9F8E72A0-4FB5-498A-A695-FB71B543A491.png
    9F8E72A0-4FB5-498A-A695-FB71B543A491.png
    1 MB · Views: 268
Back