• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

His name is spartan 031.. I am assuming he is an infantryman and trolling right now..do NOT feed the trolls.

spartan031 said:
The officer cadets get better stuff too and they also get made fun of the most.

Officer cadets are often issued the most heavily worn and oldest equipment available, due to the fact that they are not part of a formed unit.

It's pretty hard to make fun of someone you have to salute.

I hope you aren't saluting officer cadets - giving that they are not (yet) commissioned.

But yes, successful officer cadets will one day be actual officers, and so "making fun of them", outside of properly applied corrective training for observed faults, is perhaps not wise.

It is also true that officer cadets in the CMC system are at the bottom of the totem pole as far as kit goes. They are the last to get anything new.

DG

RecceDG said:
I hope you aren't saluting officer cadets - giving that they are not (yet) commissioned.

Yes, I know that, I was trying to make a point.

"It is also true that officer cadets in the CMC system are at the bottom of the totem pole as far as kit goes. They are the last to get anything new."

- Well, no wonder.  In the old days, the chances of  Officer Cadets actually making it all of the way to a Phase IV Combat Arms Grad Parade were NOT in their favour.  Why waste good kit on a transient?

Cooler heads prevail now.

vonGarvin said:
"Mess Tin Syndrome", similar to "Aluminum Pot Syndrome", I suppose :D

Thank God, I thought you meant the french acronym for :"Maladies transmises sexuellement".

I thought we were talking about living quarters?

i.e. basic training, officer cadets have better living quarters than ncms yet amazingly they are both able to get the job done. 

I would expect that the infantry would be able to handle sleeping in a tent in the middle of a war.

I'm sure they can handle it, but when they do return to main camp after being stuck outside of it for X number of days doing God knows what, wouldn't it be nice if they had a nice hot shower and a proper bed to sleep in.  I'm not saying they should have special treatment or anything,  but they should have acceptable sleeping accomidations.  Leaky tents doesn't sound like acceptable sleeping accomidations to me.

As for the tac vest, I guess whatever works for the guys over there.  Maybe a new rig could be fast tracked and made available for the troops deployed, and returned for the next guy when they return to Canada.  Right now there's a bunch of kit thats issued only to deployed troops, can't they make somthing like that work?

Kirkhill said:
Spartan - you're an idiot.

+1

Spartan, No offense but you sound like youre trying way to hard to sound hardcore...

hell im a REMF and Im the 1st one to say give the grunts the good stuff.. they need it more. my job is service. or as I see it, make sure the Cbt Arms guys can fight, since if I get bumped on the Road its gonna be them comming out to save me... I want them to have the best equipment possible so that when they get there they can blow the hell out of the enemy. and long as my equipment is good enough to hold off an attack and keep me alive until they get there, Im happy....

the TV is good for a trucker, not so good for an 031

Rob - go private -- we have real beds and ensuite bathrooms with Hi-spped net in every room  ;D

bill-the-cat.gif

Seriously though -- I saw your digs - and compared to the wogs shacks - you guys are getting shafted...

spartan031 said:
i.e. basic training, officer cadets have better living quarters than ncms yet amazingly they are both able to get the job done. 

OCdts can be in St. Jean for a year or more when you factor in SLT, so what if they get a room?

Your comparisons between CFLRS and KAF are pretty weak - lack of experience or just trolling?

I would expect that the infantry would be able to handle sleeping in a tent in the middle of a war.
Handle it? You bet - but why should they? Our federal surplus was what - 9 billion last year?

Your continued BS in terms of statements like the above is beginning to grow tiresome - do you have any relevant experience or statements to add, or are you going to continue making statements that I would attribute to a cadet, or very junior reservist?

Spartan031,

Your trolling, contrary to the guidelines. You won't be warned again.

Well, no wonder.  In the old days, the chances of  Officer Cadets actually making it all of the way to a Phase IV Combat Arms Grad Parade were NOT in their favour.  Why waste good kit on a transient?

Agreed completely. And back when I was a young and stupid OCdt, I remember us discussing this subject and coming to the same conclusion.

Cooler heads prevail now.

How do you mean?

Has the phase training gotten significantly easier?

The Recce Troop Leader's Course was the single most difficult thing I've ever done in my entire life, and by an order of magnitude. I'd hate to think they've softened it up....

DG

Folks, please remember when responding to a certain persons posts that there is a "Spartan" and a "Spartan031" and they post quite differently.....

Kev,

Its starting to look good everyday i am here ! trust me! i have 4  mths left ! help me! hahaha

I got a large pile of stuff in a care package if I can get a Herc flight -- needs to go off this week or its a 5 week wait though.

Stay Safe.  and give them hell :salute:

Duey said:
while I was travelling around the Afghan countryside in a civy-pattern Land Cruiser, that I wished that there was a nice tactical vest that would allow me to carry all my ammo without having to use the FN C1A1 mag pockets on my CADPAT(AR) shirt that are conveniently hidden under my TBC.

Just as a point of order, as dramatic as the statement is, or how much it tickled me to read it, it's not accurate.  The chest pockets on the CADPAT are, if memory serves (haven't gotten a ruler out) slightly bigger than the breast pockets on the olive green Combat Dress shirt-coat (its official name, sorta makes one think of that SNL skit where the old lady on Weekend Update talks about her "jean-pants" and "baseball cap hat").  The intent AIUI was simply to provide some continuity in design - or in other words, create some sort of "tradition" for the angled pockets.  As little as some may think of uniform design in the Canadian military, a careful look at all the different patterns developed over time will reveal some consistent strains throughout.  Tropical Worsted came directly from officers' uniforms of the Second World War, colour, material and all, the DEU is an obvious descendant of the CF Uniform, etc.  Given that the FN was firmly replaced more than a decade before the introduction of CADPAT, rest assured no one expects anyone to carry magazines in the shirt pockets. Just some small way of keeping us connected to our own past - something we haven't been really all that great at doing in some areas.

FWIW.

(Edited to change title)

Michael Dorosh said:
Just as a point of order, as dramatic as the statement is, or how much it tickled me to read it, it's not accurate.  The chest pockets on the CADPAT are, if memory serves (haven't gotten a ruler out) slightly bigger than the breast pockets on the olive green Combat Dress shirt-coat (its official name, sorta makes one think of that SNL skit where the old lady on Weekend Update talks about her "jean-pants" and "baseball cap hat").  The intent AIUI was simply to provide some continuity in design - or in other words, create some sort of "tradition" for the angled pockets.  As little as some may think of uniform design in the Canadian military, a careful look at all the different patterns developed over time will reveal some consistent strains throughout.  Tropical Worsted came directly from officers' uniforms of the Second World War, colour, material and all, the DEU is an obvious descendant of the CF Uniform, etc.  Given that the FN was firmly replaced more than a decade before the introduction of CADPAT, rest assured no one expects anyone to carry magazines in the shirt pockets. Just some small way of keeping us connected to our own past - something we haven't been really all that great at doing in some areas.

FWIW.

[OT-ish alert]

Pocket measurements:

CADPAT (AR)    - 90mm x 155mm
  Old Style OG107 - 88mm x 152mm

They look pretty close to me, measure out pretty close too...but yes, they are different, I'll give you that.  Anyone have the dimensions of the C7/C8 mags vs. the C1 mags?

More to the point, if no one is expected to put a mag in the shirt pocket, then why not replace the pockets with a more useful design...I like the slanted pocket the American's put on the new ACU's.  Personally, I think keeping pockets dimension/shape/orientation for the sake of tradition/comfort shows a severe inability to deal with change, but perhaps that's just me?

Cheers,
Duey

Duey said:
[OT-ish alert]

Pocket measurements:

CADPAT (AR)     - 90mm x 155mm
  Old Style OG107 - 88mm x 152mm

They look pretty close to me, measure out pretty close too...but yes, they are different, I'll give you that.  Anyone have the dimensions of the C7/C8 mags vs. the C1 mags?

More to the point, if no one is expected to put a mag in the shirt pocket, then why not replace the pockets with a more useful design...I like the slanted pocket the American's put on the new ACU's.  Personally, I think keeping pockets dimension/shape/orientation for the sake of tradition/comfort shows a severe inability to deal with change, but perhaps that's just me?

Cheers,
Duey

I told you they were bigger. :D  I think the pockets stayed the same size on the ODs regardless of size of shirt (to keep the mag in) but may be proportional to size on the CADPATS, so they may vary more than that on different size CADPAT. Yes, this is off topic but interesting to me, anyway.

As for "inability" (or unwillingness) to change; they could have retained the Mk III combat shirt style (the so-called tuck-in) but didn't. They probably should have put pockets on the sleeves, though. Unwillingness maybe, but I suppose the TV was seen as the be-all, end all, so keep the shirt the same for some continuity. Who knows.

Back