• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

very true, very true. I think what I would classify as a dinosaur, though, is not someone that is necessarily older but less open minded. The "this is how was used to do, this is what we did in Bosnia, this is how I was taught, so thats the only way we will do it". I REALLY hope that I don't become close minded like that. Every idea has merit and should be explored. Workable solutions are workable solutions regardless of where they come from, if a chest rig is a workable solution to load carriage it should be accepted. I understand that the wheels of the army grind slowly and that budget is a factor, as well as personal preference, yada yada yada so implementation of some ideas takes time. What irks me more than not being issued, say for example a chest rig, is the illogical refusal of some in the chain to allow soldiers that will spend their own money on that chest rig to use it. If the piece of kit is of equal or better quality to the issue kit, improves a soldiers ability to fight, and does not compromise their ability to be instantly identified as a Canadian then what is the problem? Thats my major issue, closed mindedness!

PhilB said:
... but eventually if enough people are using other stuff the chain and the system will follow (fingers crossed).
If those people buying thier own kit do not take the time to fill out a UCR, the system will never know what needs to be fixed/replaced.  So, if you are ready to throw hundreds of dollars into something you should not have to buy, then I hope you are also putting 15 - 20 min into drafting a UCR.  If not, Ottawa will never know of the problem (regardless of dinosaurs vs. enlightened pers).

agreed, a couple posts above the post you are quoting I posted that I had turned in UCR's for several pieces of kit (I saw the UCR comments coming a long way off  ;D )

PhilB said:
agreed, a couple posts above the post you are quoting I posted that I had turned in UCR's for several pieces of kit (I saw the UCR comments coming a long way off  ;D )

Good, then you did what you are supposed to do. The comments will continue to come though --- just like the troops bitching about it will continue -- until the troops get off their duffs and file the paperwork to get it fixed.

Unfortunately approx 34996 other pers who have been issued the TV have NOT noted any problems with it via the UCR which IS the avenue to voice a complaint, note a concern/deficiency and to propose a solution.

The TV is an individual kit item. The UCRs for it should be done by individuals. The more -- the better.

Less than 10 submitted for 35000 issued means that not too many individuals have such a big problem with it that they are actually willing to DO something about getting it fixed instead of simply bitching about it. Ergo ... OFFICIALLY ... it is well within the 80% satisfaction rate.

It can't be said enough.

Completely agree, I think the root of the problem lies in the "bulk UCR" . I have done one of these for the TV. Wherein a whole unit or sub unit submit one UCR with the whole  units thoughts on it. I think that what should be done is at a platoon or section level in the post tour AAR process everyone sits down and collaborates on 1 UCR. Everyone inputs and helps to get it done, then it is photocopied and passed out to every troop who inputed. Each fill in their particulars and voila, many more UCR's.

All of that being said my major issue is with the dress policy as opposed to the TV itself. I realize the TV is crap and we shouldn't be saddled with crap, but like you said Vern unless people get up and officially (UCR) voice their thoughts nothing will be done. Even then, who knows it anything will really change. As I stated earlier it really irks when higher ups come down with, what IMHO is illogical, dress policies. i.e. no non issue LBE. Why is ask? Why? Where is the logic in stating this? How does it make sense? To me, as long as the piece of kit wanting to be used meets the criteria I posted earlier, we should be allowed to use what we want.

PhilB said:
Completely agree, I think the root of the problem lies in the "bulk UCR" . I have done one of these for the TV. Wherein a whole unit or sub unit submit one UCR with the whole  units thoughts on it. I think that what should be done is at a platoon or section level in the post tour AAR process everyone sits down and collaborates on 1 UCR. Everyone inputs and helps to get it done, then it is photocopied and passed out to every troop who inputed. Each fill in their particulars and voila, many more UCR's.

All of that being said my major issue is with the dress policy as opposed to the TV itself. I realize the TV is crap and we shouldn't be saddled with crap, but like you said Vern unless people get up and officially (UCR) voice their thoughts nothing will be done. Even then, who knows it anything will really change. As I stated earlier it really irks when higher ups come down with, what IMHO is illogical, dress policies. i.e. no non issue LBE. Why is ask? Why? Where is the logic in stating this? How does it make sense? To me, as long as the piece of kit wanting to be used meets the criteria I posted earlier, we should be allowed to use what we want.

Individual kit = Individual UCRs.

Write one up (do not have ANY control numbers assigned to it & leave the individual particulars blank), then photocopy it for all your pers, then have them each fill in their particulars & sign theirs, THEN have a control number assigned by your Unit UCR co-ordinator to each and every one of them. Then submit to your CoC and have them annotate them to back you all up, then courier them via your OR ... en masse to NDHQ.

It worked for the fading cadpats ...

As to the logic of the TV and the CTS items -- they were designed in the mid to late 90s -- well before Sept 11th, and well before the influx of combat experience the CF is currently witnessing. They took 10 years to get into the system -- had the CTS kit been design after 9/11 and after our deployment to Afghanistan circa fall 01 -- I'm quite sure that it would be significantly different than it is now.

I'm not going to try to quote everyone on their more than valid points about filling out UCRs and passing info up the chain and whatnot, I just want to throw my $0.02 in... so here it is;

I will be using the TV as an example;

I think its fair to say that anyone who has used the TV in operations, specifically those involving the big 'ol 2 way range, would agree that it does not suit the needs of the average combat soldier in the field... I almost said "infantry soldier" just there, but it has been proven countless times that infantry aren't the only ones facing the 'angry bees'... Anyway, the solution most combat soldiers have come up with is to purchase the items they feel they require to do their job more effectively, rather than use the chain of command to improve what they are being given.  I know I'm stating the obvious, I'm just summing up the issue(s).

Now; the first step in solving a problem is figuring out why there is a problem at all.  I think its blatantly obvious why the troops don't like the issued TV, so I'm not going to get into it's horrible horrible shortfalls (nor will I be pulled into a dispute... use it while getting shot at and you will no doubt agree that it has issues)... anyway, the next problem would be why the troops are buying their own gear vise asking for better kit...  well, I can't speak for everyone, so I'll just spit out the reasons why I dumped $2000 into a tour that only lasted 3 weeks...
Here are/were my reasons, in no particular order;

1) Time: Specifically the lack of it.  Most troops figure out their kit has problems shortly before deploying... I had no idea what I was really in for until I got into the battalion, and even then, it took time to sort out what I needed.  I know nothing about the UCR system and how long it takes to sort out kit, but judging by previous kit 'upgrades'; it seems as though it takes a lot of time... eg. CADPAT and CTS; still on going from the mid-late 90s.  So, although I'm confident that new kit will get to the troops, it just doesn't seem like its going to happen any time soon. 
So how does this effect the troops decision to buy gear? Simple answer; there isn't enough time to screw around with bureaucracy just before deployment... so it comes down to impatience. Troops need kit now, and they didn't know they needed it until they hit the beach, so to speak.
So, why don't troops do the paper work after? Why bother now that the needed kit has already been purchased? or once the tour is done, the troops that needed the good kit may have left the military all together.  Either way, it comes down to the disdain for bureaucracy.  I know that sounds like horse crap, but think about who is using the kit and needs it the most; it's not the soldier behind a desk; it's the soldier behind the rifle... and we ain't much for writing (well... some of us anyway).

2) Make it work: My father has a saying; "if Sh!t works, use it."  This is part of the problem of our military and is also what makes us so damn good... we improvise, adapt and overcome.  Someone once made a very good point to me; "We (the Canadian forces) have been handed crap from day one, and instead of turning it away and saying 'this isn't going to work' we make it work, and then we win... then those in the CoC see that we used the crap we have to win, and they say 'we won thanks to that crap'... which is wrong; we one because our soldiers made that crap work." (I cleaned it up a bit, but thats the gist of it.).  I don't know how I can make that more clear; we get handed kit that barely suits our needs, and we make it suit our needs... now, this may prove that the kit we have is good enough, but why make it harder when there's kit out there that's made better.  I see it as using a brick to hammer in a nail; sure, you're going to get the nail hammered in, but you're not using the right tool... and you're just making it more difficult...  But I digress... we will always have poor quality kit, 'cause we're always going to make it work.  This also goes along with #1.

3) Old school mentality;  I don't mean to pick on anyone here.  I think we can all name people within our ranks, trades, elements, who cling to the 'old ways'.  During work up for TF3-06, the RSM (god rest his soul) really picked on the troops for wearing non-issued tactical gear... I recall one day he had us all in the Drill hall at the 1 RCR building, giving us a shouting for wearing "combat bras", and stated that he would personally burn them if he caught us wearing them...  Fair enough.  He then tried to point out how "great" the TV was, and while he was going on about it, someone (I know who and I'm not telling) yelled from the back; "Where do you put the 4 boxes of 556 link when one utility pouch has to have a med kit?"... the RSM said; "in your small pack... the crowd laughed.  Then the same voice from the audience; "what about 15 mags? where do you keep the other 10? The utility pouch only holds an extra 5."  The RSM was getting a little annoyed at this point a blurted out; "Look you (expletive deleted), this kit has been proven in battle." Again the voice from the crowd; "What battle?".  The RSM; "You will wear this kit and you will make it work... it has been proven to be the best kit available." again from the crowd; "we won WW2 with a bolt action rifle... it's proven too..." Now the RSM was ready to kill... and we all knew it; "If you (expletive deleted) want to wear that crap, I will make you wear old 82 pattern webbing!"  He was very annoyed... and again from the crowd; "At least it's modular".  The RSM left very angry and we spent the rest of the week garbage sweeping the lines...  But the point was made; the battlefield is dynamic, and soldiers must be just as dynamic... But, there's a lot of resistance.  So the troops just do it, get it done and then move on. 
We fought toe to toe with the enemy just about every day (that I was there anyway) and we used the high speed, gucci gear and it worked... but once back on Canadian soil; no more training with the stuff that works... back to the junk.

Anyway; so we've identified some of the reasons why troops will buy kit and not go through the system... Now what's the solution?  I honestly don't know... but if we're really an army that likes to learn from our actions... why wouldn't we look at other Armies as well...    Take, for example, the US military;  Their plate carrier has MOLLE on it... BAM! Modular tac vest and armour rolled in one... theres one solution.  or how about the fact that a lot of their units are allotted funds to equip the soldiers with what they need... hey, we could do that too... just set up limits and boundaries.  Or... how 'bout this one, and this will probably cost a lot of people their jobs; just ask the troops what they need... heck... you don't even need to ask... call up OneShotTactical and ask how much of what they're selling to troops... You could do the same with just about any tactical supplier. Done; now you know what the troops want.

I know there will be some resistance here;
Not all troops know what they need, and some are just going for the LCF: Yeah... thats why we have Jr leadership and veterans within the units.
It won't look uniform; yup... that's why we have CF DEU's... the enemy doesn't care if you look uniform... everyone looking the same won't win a fight. But everyone being effective will.  Granted, somethings have to be uniform... like medical kits.  but beyond that; it should be up to the soldiers digression as to how their kit will be laid out... especially when their the ones using it to do their job.
And of course; if it's going to be used in operation, it needs to be used in trg.  When (and if) I ever get myself medically sorted out enough to get back into the rifle company, I'm going to have a really hard time adjusting to using kit I know isn't effective... but at the same time, I know that I can't tell the troops or the jr leadership that what they have is junk and it won't work well in operations... mainly because it's a reserve unit, but also because it's not my place.

Anyway... I think I've written enough of a novel tonight...  so I'll do a quick sum up;
- Troops need the kit to do their jobs more effectively... and why not, if it's going to make things easier. (it will benefit the end state)
- Troops don't/won't fill out UCRs because of a multitude of reasons (laziness, apathy, etc, etc.)... and because we're not the Borg, we cannot force/convince/persuade our peers into doing something... especially with the "ah, F*** it attitude" embraced by so many. 
- No matter what, the troops will make the kit work
- A lot of our kit is NOT battle proven, since most soldiers will shed the crap kit when going into battle
- The troops will continue to purchase kit, 'cause it makes their job easier, keeps them safer and suits their needs
- There are many ways to solve the problem... but I'm just a plug, toon corporal and know nothing of how to make thing better... nor do I have any kind of power... just ideas and lots of time (as you can tell by my novel of a post.)

So, there it is.  There's got to be about 100 threads on these forums all saying the same thing; our kit is crap. heres why. why isn't this getting fixed.  To which the response is; fill out a UCR... if it were so simple, it would have been done the first time someone ran out of rounds on the dusty 2way range and had to hand-bomb to win the fire fight, thanks to having only 5 mags... but, here we are.  UCRs sound like the most simple solution... but it's just not happening.

Either way, we'll make it work.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said the CTS kit was designed BEFORE we found ourselves on the 2 way range.

Funny what future combat experience will reveal about one's kit and it's defeciencies.

Time? It took me 10 minutes to write up a UCR on the faded cadpat.

I stuck it in the photocopier and let 'er rip. I refilled the paper tray 4 times.

I then had 2000 copies of that UCR. I stuck it on the clothing front counter. We had all the troops (and courses who came in) fill in their particulars on the top and sign it (that took them all of 10 seconds).

We then did 'em up and shipped 'em out en masse.

Quit bitching -- start improvising -- and start doing. With the amount of time spent mulling about the CQs or out having a smoke -- surely to gawd at least ONE person in a Unit can find the time to write up a UCR to photocopy it.

Everyone always has a reason for NOT doing what they need to do -- and if that's the case, then just stop bitching about it. It is absolutely ZERO different than asshats who do NOT vote -- bitching about politics. None.

You want your voice and you want your say -- then let's see some action to make it happen. The defeatist attitude kills me. I posted a UCR thread on this site 2 years ago, along with a sample and instructions (step by step by step) with a note to PM me to obtain a copy of the UCR form, a whole 3, yes three people, actually requested a UCR from me (and one of those was tonight!) and that was in a TV bitch thread.

You want to sit on your duffs, it won't change. That's the plain and simple facts of the matter. Funny how you all expect CTS to do something, but none of you think you should do anything.

ArmyVern said:
Perhaps you missed the part where I said the CTS kit was designed BEFORE we found ourselves on the 2 way range.

Indeed, and it'll be a long time after we leave the sand box that things get changed... thus is the great chain of kit upgrades.  The kit we need now won't be in the system until long after we are done needing it.... this has happened many times in the past and the only real answer is a more dynamic system.

ArmyVern said:
Funny what future combat experience will reveal about one's kit and it's defeciencies.

True... it's also funny that these deficiencies aren't addresses until long after the combat experiences.  Back to my last point; more dynamic system needed.

ArmyVern said:
Time? It took me 10 minutes to write up a UCR on the faded cadpat.

I stuck it in the photocopier and let 'er rip. I refilled the paper tray 4 times.

I then had 2000 copies of that UCR. I stuck it on the clothing front counter. We had all the troops (and courses who came in) fill in their particulars on the top and sign it (that took them all of 10 seconds).

We then did 'em up and shipped 'em out en masse. [/quote]

sooo... who's job is it?  the individual soldier on behalf of their unit, to do all UCRs?  back to one of my points; I don't believe enough individual soldiers will do this; thus there is no majority and it seems like a few bitching and not a fair representation.

And, if the responsibility lies on the leadership; what about those who don't see, or refuse to see a problem? "We make the kit work, so what's wrong with it?"

But I do see your point... the issue does have to be addressed.

ArmyVern said:
Quir bitching -- start improvising -- and start doing. With the amount of time spent mulling about the CQs or out having a smoke -- surely to gawd at least ONE person in a Unit can find the time to write up a UCR.

Everyone always has a reason for NOT doing what they need to do -- and if that's the case, then just stop bitching about it. It is absolutely ZERO different than asshats who do NOT vote -- bitching about politics. None.

You want your voice and you want your say -- then let's see some action to make it happen. The defeatist attitude kills me. I posted a UCR on this site 2 years ago, along with a sample and instructions (step by step by step) ... a whole 3, yes three people, actually requested a UCR from me (and one of those was tonight!).

Agreed... It comes down to people 'doing' instead of bitching.  If change is to be made, it's going to take everyone doing what needs to be done... but, as I've said; we're not a Borg collective... we can't change peoples apathy or laziness, and that will always be the weakest link in the chain.

ArmyVern said:
You want to sit on your duffs, it won't change. That's the plain and simple facts of the matter. Funny how you all expect CTS to do something, but none of you think you should do anything.
(you added this while I was writing...)

Exactly... But, I doubt the CTS program could fix the problem in time even if every soldier in the CF wrote up a UCR... The system has to be just as dynamic as the soldiers on the battlefield to keep up with the needs of the troops.

I think what I'm getting at is; do we really need the CTS program? Do we really need to develop our own kit when there's better kit out there for the same price?  Just my thoughts on it.

RHFC_piper said:
I don't believe enough individual soldiers will do this; thus there is no majority and it seems like a few bitching and not a fair representation.

I'm pretty sure Vern was clear on who should submit UCRs

and if the soldiers dont/wont participate in the system and fill them out , they are just as much part of the problem as the CTS people that you all blame this on.

RHFC_piper said:
Indeed, and it'll be a long time after we leave the sand box that things get changed... thus is the great chain of kit upgrades.  The kit we need now won't be in the system until long after we are done needing it.... this has happened many times in the past and the only real answer is a more dynamic system.

Wrong. 110% wrong. It's called operational requirements. Get the friggin UCRs in en masse and the CF CAN go outside of federal contracting requirments and get new kit in FAST precisely because it IS a direct in-combat operational kit requirement. Need proof? Think Globemaster.

True... it's also funny that these deficiencies aren't addresses until long after the combat experiences.  Back to my last point; more dynamic system needed.

You've got the experience NOW. You could have drafted 5 UCRs in the amount of time it took for your below post ... and quite possibly even have photocopied them too for YOUR Unit.

sooo... who's job is it?  the individual soldier on behalf of their unit, to do all UCRs?  back to one of my points; I don't believe enough individual soldiers will do this; thus there is no majority and it seems like a few bitching and not a fair representation.

And, if the responsibility lies on the leadership; what about those who don't see, or refuse to see a problem? "We make the kit work, so what's wrong with it?"

But I do see your point... the issue does have to be addressed.

You must also have missed the part below where I said Individual Kit = Individual UCRS. In this case, it is an individual responsibilty ... same for PPE. Let me tell you this, when there's less than 10 UCRs on 35000 issued does it seem to be a big problem? No. Like I said ... that infers that 34996 individuals are perfectly fine with their kit. The "photocopying bit" is called IMPROVISING like I said already. One person with enough initiative to do this in every Unit WILL make a difference. And when NDHQ has 20000 UCRs on whatever piece of kit -- then that kit and its defeciencies certainly DOES become a problem that needs to get sorted out post haste exactly because it IS operational.

Agreed... It comes down to people 'doing' instead of bitching.  If change is to be made, it's going to take everyone doing what needs to be done... but, as I've said; we're not a Borg collective... we can't change peoples apathy or laziness, and that will always be the weakest link in the chain.

Or, like I said ... one superior robot with initiative to fill one out and photocopy it ... and then have the borgs sign it. Really.

CDN Aviator said:
I'm pretty sure Vern was clear on who should submit UCRs

and if the soldiers dont/wont participate in the system and fill them out , they are just as much part of the problem as the CTS people that you all blame this on.

Don't get me wrong; I believe every soldier should be filling out these UCRs, and I agree that anyone who just bitches and does nothing about it is just as much a part of the problem... But...  The reality of the situation is this; most soldiers won't take the time.  Weather it's because they're lazy or apathetic or they just don't know... Ignorance of the system is a big issue... I knew nothing of the UCR process until about 8 months after I got back, and when I asked my platoon mates from tour about it, they had no idea what I was talking about.  As well, there's the 'weak link in the chain' effect too.  All it takes is one member of a section/platoon to say "nuts to that" and then everyone else will question the worth of doing the paperwork... it's just human nature.

As for CTS's role... You can't honestly tell me there's nothing more they can do... it's not like those who work on this project live under a rock, and I'm pretty sure they're intelligent people... somethings gotta give.  The responsibility can't lie solely on the soldiers; there's got to be some give and take.  This is exactly what I mean by; we make our own bed by making things work... no one sees the problem 'cause theirs no apparent problem to see.  It's not like the kit is clearly, with out a reasonable doubt, costing lives or endangering the mission... if, for example, the issue was with hand grenades. And every time a soldier used one, it blew up in their hands... pretty clear indication of a problem... but some issues aren't so clear, and even with hundreds, or even thousands of UCRs submitted, I have my doubts about how quickly the problems would be addressed. 

So I go back to the Dynamic solution.  Soldiers know what they want... they know where to get it... There's got to be something that can be done. 

RHFC_piper said:
most soldiers won't take the time.  Weather it's because they're lazy or apathetic or they just don't know... Ignorance of the system is a big issue...

Then they need to look in the mirror and say to the reflection "its your fault"

I knew nothing of the UCR process until about 8 months after I got back, and when I asked my platoon mates from tour about it, they had no idea what I was talking about. 

Well, guess what your job is at your unit is now ? Time to step up to the plate !

OK RHFC Piper,

Have you submitted one of those UCRs on the kit?

And you're correct ... CTS doesn't live under a rock. But if you want to see specs change (which costs millions of dollars) for multi-millions of dollars worth of kit ... and contracts get re-done (which costs further millions of dollars) to get proper stuff (whether an industry off the shelf item or whatever, but make sure you put that into your "suggested improvements/solution area) purchased that suits our combat needs -- then more than 10 people out of 35000 better be saying so.

And right now -- they're not. So, get some initiative -- fill one out and photocopy it for your Unit ... and lead them borgs by the hand.

Because CTS certainly can't pull it off either -- without the damned paperwork well beyond the 20% "dissatisfaction rate" to back up the justification for doing so.

ArmyVern said:
Wrong. 110% wrong. It's called operational requirements. Get the friggin UCRs in en masse and the CF CAN go outside of federal contracting requirments and get new kit in FAST precisely because it IS a direct in-combat operational kit requirement. Need proof? Think Globemaster.

I'm not going to argue this point anymore...  The point I'm trying to make (and this will be my last on this) is that we've been there for 6+ years, seen lots of combat, have lots of vets, have lot of people trying to change things and nothing has changed (for personal kit)... and I do realize the need wasn't always there... but when the need was there little has changed. But, I digress...  I'm done with this line of argument... it's just circular; Things need to change ==> Fill out the forms ===> No one does ====> things need to change ===> fill out the forms, etc, etc..  If it were so simple it would have happened.

ArmyVern said:
You've got the experience NOW. You could have drafted 5 UCRs in the amount of time it took for your below post ... and quite possibly even have photocopied them too for YOUR Unit.

I have, and all 3 of us have submitted it... yay reserves.

ArmyVern said:
You must also have missed the part below where I said Individual Kit = Individual UCRS. In this case, it is an individual responsibilty ... same for PPE. Let me tell you this, when there's less than 10 UCRs on 35000 issued does it seem to be a big problem? No. Like I said ... that infers that 34996 individuals are perfectly fine with their kit. The "photocopying bit" is called IMPROVISING like I said already. One person with enough initiative to do this in every Unit WILL make a difference. And when NDHQ has 20000 UCRs on whatever piece of kit -- then that kit and its defeciencies certainly DOES become a problem that needs to get sorted out post haste exactly because it IS operational.

Seems simple... but how many of those 34996 have seen the problem (under fire)... and how many will do their part? and when all is said and done... how many UCRs will be at NDHQ?  Back to the circular argument.

ArmyVern said:
Or, like I said ... one superior robot with initiative to fill one out and photocopy it ... and then have the borgs sign it. Really.

I can only hope that there is someone in each deploying/deployed unit who knows about this and can sort everyone out... until that day...

ArmyVern said:
without the damned paperwork well beyond the 20% "dissatisfaction rate" to back up the justification for doing so.

I've addressed the rest of this post, but this is an interesting point;

So there are 35000 troops with a TV... and CTS requires 20% dissatisfaction; 
I'm not even going to try to pull numbers out my ass, but I just had a brain-fart...  Of those 35000, how many have deployed to Afghanistan.  And of those, how many have been in a situation which would make them believe the kit is not up to par for fighting (combat) and of them, how many 'just made the kit work' or just don't care...  Somehow, and feel free to call me a pessimist, I don't foresee that number being 20%.  This is the point I'm trying to make.

I believe the system can change to suit.  I believe soldiers have to get off their asses and change things if they so desire things to change... I think you and I are on the same page with that... But I also believe that if CTS saw a problem, they could fix it a lot more quickly and efficiently than what they're doing now... the catch is; the issue isn't that apparent...

Anyway, I understand what you're getting at... and this will be the constant argument on every single page of every single thread about kit; The kit suck ==> do the paperwork.  Perhaps there should be a Sticky at the top of the Kit page which reads;

Topic: Don't like issued kit? Read this!

Body:

FILL OUT THIS PAPERWORK AND SUBMIT IT HERE!! (add link and address).

Bam! no more threads about "this kit sucks".

RHFC_piper said:
Seems simple... but how many of those 34996 have seen the problem (under fire)...

You said yourself that most soldiers figure out its crap during training, so what does "under fire" have to do with anything now ?

and how many will do their part? and when all is said and done...

If they are not part of the solution and filling out and sending UCRs then they are part of the problem. If ignorance of the system is the problem, then you RHFC-Piper are in the perfect spot to rectify that situation. You are not shy about saying you have experience, its time for you to put money where your mouth is and spread the word. If you dont, you are also part of the problem and failing your duties and failing the soldiers under you.

RHFC_Piper:

I know your background, and I have a great deal of respect for you and your opinion.

BUT (there's always a "but" after an opening line like that) - you're missing the big picture.  The CF is a HUGE organization, complete with a HUGE bureaucracy - and it's only a little part of the HUGER bureaucracy which is the Federal Government.

Bureaucracies have policies, and means of getting things done.  From an individuals point of view, those policies and means are unresponsive and vexing.  But those policies and means are there for a reason - usually financial.

If you want the bureaucracy to change something - you need to play by its' rules.  Vern has made a very good suggestion regarding the UCRs.  Why NOT fill one out and photocopy it.  Leave a stack by the Class A sign in sheet - along with a sign detailing what it's all about.  Twist a few arms if you have to - get a few Pl WOs and/or Sect Comds onside - I'm sure you can make it happen.  While you're at it - talk to friends in OTHER units - give THEM a stack of the UCRs you've filled out.

It doesn't matter how right you are - if you want to move a bureaucracy, you need to do it by using their policies.  Nothing else works.

The UCR does not have to based upon "combat defeciencies" as there are shitloads of "training defeciencies" with it too.

Stop talking. Start doing as was already suggested numerous times ... lead the borgs by the hand and get it done.

As to 20%. The fact of the matter is that CF kit needs to satisfy 80% of it's users ... and officialy it is in compliance with that standard right now. Until 21% says "this kit f'n sucks" officially and in writing. How much clearer can one get?

CDN Aviator said:
You said yourself that most soldiers figure out its crap during training, so what does "under fire" have to do with anything now ?

No one takes issues during training as serious as issues when bullets are flying...

CDN Aviator said:
If they are not part of the solution and filling out and sending UCRs then they are part of the problem. If ignorance of the system is the problem, then you RHFC-Piper are in the perfect spot to rectify that situation. You are not shy about saying you have experience, its time for you to put money where your mouth is and spread the word. If you dont, you are also part of the problem and failing your duties and failing the soldiers under you.

Yup... and I've passed it on to as many people as possible.  Hell... I tell the troops in my reserve unit to take full advantage of UCRs and the passage of knowledge. But, alas, this changes very little... oh, wait... my bad.. I have managed to change a few things at my home unit in regards to kit... but one of them is because I'm the kit shop manager and it happened before I left;  The troops are allowed to wear Shemaghs... not entirely my doing, but I will be providing them through the kit shop.  And I convinced the RSM to allow dump pouches... took some talking but of all the kit I suggested for use, that's the only one that took...  But, the troops have to buy them.

So, as I've tired to make clear; I AM NOT AGAINST THE SYSTEM... I like the system.. I think it could work... I'm more annoyed at the people who impede the system or just don't get involved.. and I can see room for improvement.  But that's just me.

oh.. and as for my "experience"...  There are days I wish I had none what so ever...  lots of days.  Like every day. 

And as much "experience" I have (all 3 weeks), it doesn't amount to much more than war stories and bad dreams.

Thanks.

Back