• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

Well, searching for the NSN via the googles has yielded the following document: https://buyandsell.gc.ca/cds/public/2013/05/29/8c32aa745770d95dcfede4ff5e00e580/ABES.PROD.BK__PR.B758.E61897.EBSU000.PDF

The contract is for the modification of the exiting bivy bags and installation of a waterproof zipper. There are photos in the bid document, and it's basically the existing bivy with a zipper on the side. Nothing ground breaking.

Stated reason for the modification is "The Director Soldier Systems Program Management (DSSPM -3) would like to modify the existing Bivy Bags to have a water repellent slide fastener installed in order to insert the new Extreme Cold Weather Sleeping System with greater ease.
Note: The new Sleeping System is difficult to insert into the exisiting Bivy Bag. " Typos are not mine.

I wonder when we'll see the new Extreme Cold Weather Sleeping System?

Rheostatic said:
The original bivvy bag presented a suffocation hazard to our younger members. It was determined that a warning label would diminish the visual effect of the CADPAT material. The preferred option was to recall the item and enhance it with an "egress, zip fastener, tactical".

We were all issued knives and sewing kits. Why is this being outsourced?  >:D

[rant]how is it hard to get in and out of the bivy bag? it's like twice the size of the sleep system!

I'm 6'2" 220lbs, I don't have a problem getting in and out of the biv bag, I have a problem with the sleep system.

The beauty of the biv bag was that it gave an impermeable barrier to liquid while allowing moisture out... you put a zipper on that, no matter how repellent it is, and you've made it useless.

Mine is not being modified.[/rant]

c_canuk said:
[rant]how is it hard to get in and out of the bivy bag? it's like twice the size of the sleep system!

I'm 6'2" 220lbs, I don't have a problem getting in and out of the biv bag, I have a problem with the sleep system.

The beauty of the biv bag was that it gave an impermeable barrier to liquid while allowing moisture out... you put a zipper on that, no matter how repellent it is, and you've made it useless.

Mine is not being modified.[/rant]

You mean how some who have had an ND blame the weapon, even though the armourers found nothing wrong with them?  :nod:

What's the saying, "a poor craftsman blames his tools?"

uh,

not quite sure if serious.

first review "I have owned two of the Advanced Bivy. I don't recall what happened to the first, but this one, which I have cared for like my life depends on it, lost all of the seal coat on the floor at the beginning of an 18 day trip in the Smokies, leaving my down bag at the mercy of the elements. This critical failure could have been disastrous, if the weather hadn't turned mild for the last half of the trip. I will be looking for a new bivy without a more permanent floor material. Heck, this one is [$] more than it was last time I bought it. Yeesh."

And the fact that most camping supplies aren't geared towards people who prioritize concealment above comfort. No Zipper, no matter how repellent it is, is going to keep out pooled water or soaked moss.

That said, nice replacement for the ground sheet maybe... stand to would be a bitch though.

Hmm zipper boots and zipper bivy bags. What's next zipper socks and long johns? They should just make combats one big zipper to get in and out of.

Teager said:
Hmm zipper boots and zipper bivy bags. What's next zipper socks and long johns? They should just make combats one big zipper to get in and out of.

Um...

article-2012541-0CEAEBE800000578-848_634x335.jpg

Inspiring Air Force photo: some at the Air Force Attention position, some at the Air Force Stand At Ease position, and some cute berets.

She always looks good.

daftandbarmy said:
Good point... no zippers required if you wear a skirt :)

:rofl:

Now I need to clean off my screen and keyboard.

Thanks D&B, that just made my otherwise thoroughly frustrating day.

Milpoints inbound, if the system will let me. For some reason it says I do not have access to assess milpoints. :dunno:

cupper said:
:rofl:

Now I need to clean off my screen and keyboard.

Thanks D&B, that just made my otherwise thoroughly frustrating day.

Milpoints inbound, if the system will let me. For some reason it says I do not have access to assess milpoints. :dunno:

Thanks, but no worries mate. A recent ego check verifies that my GAFF requires no top up a this time  :)

Well not that I trust the army to actually get a waterproof zipper for the bivy bag (i will not be exchanging my non-zippered one)
There does exist a waterproof zipper and they can be found on the drysuits that us divers wear. I have yet to have one fail. (Although when they do fail it makes life miserable when you are hanging doing deco stops in some cold water). That being said the zip gets extremely cared for to avoid leaks/failures.
I can see the water resistant zip on the new bivy bag being rendered completelyy useless after a bit of dirt gets in it.

Back