• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

Shamrock said:
Allegedly, it's to keep the creepycrawlies off your legs.  I've seen more and more police are doing this as they're spending more and more time chasing clients into grass and wooded areas.  That said, I'll often go camping and hiking in shorts with little to no effect.

And to keep the sand and other crap out of there too.
Wear what you like when you're camping.  I'm pretty sure we don't have malaria and leishmaniasis (Google it) here, but we do have West Nile virus and Lyme disease.

You know, there's eventually going to be a soldier, who does nothing to prevent an arthropod-borne disease while on tour, who is going to try and sue the military (or make a claim) for something they got on said tour.  I'm just surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
I wonder if the guy giving this directive to all soldiers serving abroad has spent anytime in Afghanistan but more specifically more then a week outside the wire in Afghanistan. 

The dress regs in theater are decided and enforced by:  the theater commander and his RSM.  Therefore, yes, the guy who takes those decisions is in theater, much longer than typical troops too.    It does not make that decision smart or anything, but it answers your question.  Even CEFCOM would not tell theater leadership how to do dress regs, it's up to local commanders and NCO, as it should be.

Thanks for the arthropod threat brief update, et al...
So, considering that you're sleeping in the dirt, (chasing mice out of your bag) and you haven't had a shower in 2 months+, using only baby wipes to maintain some semblence of hygiene, that blousing your pants is going to make a huge difference?  Yes I am fully aware of the possible afflictions due to the arthropod threat however, lets just it tone down a bit shall we?  I'll take my chances with unbloused pants for I would rather ventilate as opposed to chafing/rash and sore shins, etc...

Guess you didn't read my remark about the blousing.  I could care less, it's the inside flap tucked in the boot that's important.  Or at least wearing socks high enough to cover exposed skin.  And repellent.  ;)

Fraz said:
So, considering that you're sleeping in the dirt, (chasing mice out of your bag) and you haven't had a shower in 2 months+, using only baby wipes to maintain some semblence of hygiene, that blousing your pants is going to make a huge difference?  

Nope, not a difference at all...until you show up at KAF for that Ice Cap.

But on that,
how many of us tear out those dust flaps in our pants?

Speaking of extra fabric, why do we have big cargo pockets on the bottom of our cbt shirts? Shouldn't we tuck in the shirts into our pants under armour?

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Speaking of extra fabric, why do we have big cargo pockets on the bottom of our cbt shirts? Shouldn't we tuck in the shirts into our pants under armour?

We could just get rid of those pockets, because that went over so well last time.

Agreed, once you get into KAF we all know garrison mode kicks in as you're inside the wire.  
(plus all that access to hot showers, A/C and real food)
Dust traps have only ever been a hindrance in my experience, the lower cargo pockets are about as useful as t%#s on a bull with PPE and FFO on.
However, we all must understand that once you mount up to go back outside the perimeter it's game on and that all goes out the window, Dress out there is an operational necessity as in being effective to do your job... Not for the sake of uniformity.

Fraz said:
However, we all must understand that once you mount up to go back outside the perimeter it's game on and that all goes out the window, Dress out there is an operational necessity as in being effective to do your job... Not for the sake of uniformity.

Bingo.

Thanks Echo.  That said its great they SEEM more concerned as to how we are looking out the wire then how we are feeling.

Pre Med are the combats that we exchange when we are over there treated?

Fraz said:

While I may agree with you, I don't wear a coat of arms on my slip on. Those who do, however, seem to not entirely agree with your statement. Hence the reason for this lengthy thread.

Michael O`Leary said:
We could just get rid of those pockets, because that went over so well last time.

Perhaps that line of clothing was too far ahead of it time... no?

Or not, it was done with the same reasoning, i.e., that they were unnecessary for doing the "real job" when soldiers "always" wore their web gear/flax vests.

They did make the hips look slimmer ... so based upon that I'd back up a move to remove them again!

Added the pockets back onto them AND graced we women with those gawd awful CF DEU pants with the maternity waistbands and pleats!! Ni-ice. Not.

Glad I still fit into my originals ... and have spares!!  :)

Michael O`Leary said:
Or not, it was done with the same reasoning, i.e., that they were unnecessary for doing the "real job" when soldiers "always" wore their web gear/flax vests.
We're in a different Army now ... well, in a figure of speaking.  Different people & different experiences guiding us now.  You might be surprised what would be accepted now but was not accepted then.

Seems to work well for the CANSOF guys (the pockets on the arms remove the lower pockets).

MCG said:
We're in a different Army now ... well, in a figure of speaking.  Different people & different experiences guiding us now.  You might be surprised what would be accepted now but was not accepted then.

Perhaps, but the previous experience only shows that the justification and groundwork have to be done properly and completely, else we're just in an endless loop.

MCG said:

I'd say leave them on. I hated that Garri-shirt with all the pen pockets and room to spare for the belly. I always thought that shirt was a combat maternity smock.

Fraz said:
Thanks for the arthropod threat brief update, et al...
So, considering that you're sleeping in the dirt, (chasing mice out of your bag) and you haven't had a shower in 2 months+, using only baby wipes to maintain some semblence of hygiene, that blousing your pants is going to make a huge difference?  Yes I am fully aware of the possible afflictions due to the arthropod threat however, lets just it tone down a bit shall we?  I'll take my chances with unbloused pants for I would rather ventilate as opposed to chafing/rash and sore shins, etc...

Hey All,

Just a completely outside question from a now civvy unfamiliar with the clothing worn.

How high are the boots in relation to the legs?  Do we now wear ankle boots?

If not, how is ventilation and such maintained from the top of the boot down?  What type of socks are worn?

My question being if we blouse our pants, right at the end of the boot, what are we ventilating?

Don't get me wrong, I loved to where the pants un-bloused when I was in due to ventilation, and the LCF factor. However with the new combats and boots, what is the difference?  Do we still have the sand traps to tuck in the boot, or are they gone too?

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Hey All,

Just a completely outside question from a now civvy unfamiliar with the clothing worn.

How high are the boots in relation to the legs?  Do we now wear ankle boots?

If not, how is ventilation and such maintained from the top of the boot down?  What type of socks are worn?

My question being if we blouse our pants, right at the end of the boot, what are we ventilating?

Don't get me wrong, I loved to where the pants un-bloused when I was in due to ventilation, and the LCF factor. However with the new combats and boots, what is the difference?  Do we still have the sand traps to tuck in the boot, or are they gone too?

dileas

tess

Tess the boots I wore overseas are the same height as the MKIII's we wore in the 48th together.  The arid pattern cbts still have the sand traps, the socks however are longer than the old grey wool ones.

Back