• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The survey is out to name the new Halifax Ferry

my72jeep

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Not sure if this is where to put this but here goes.
Picked this up on a different Form. thought I'd pass it along

Fire Mission - Name the Ferry

The survey is out to name the new Halifax Ferry.

The name Christopher Stannix is a finalist.

Princess Louise Fusiliers MCpl Stannix, deployed to Afghanistan as a Corporal with the RCR and was killed by an IED.

Please honour the voting rules and cast a vote to honour the man.

Thank you.

FIDELITER

https://fluidsurveys.com/s/FerryNaming/

PS. I give blanket permission to copy and use this post outside this forum, in other forums, where interested parties would wish to cast a vote for the Christopher Stannix

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  I remember Christopher's ramp ceremony, he gets my vote.  There were some very wothy people to consider.  It's nice to see some thought go into this process.

jollyjacktar said:
Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  I remember Christopher's ramp ceremony, he gets my vote.  There were some very wothy people to consider.  It's nice to see some thought go into this process.

Indeed.

ETA: There are some other really good suggestions, I don't think I would be put off if any of them got chosen. Still have to go with Stannix though.

Hello all

this is the facebook group in refer to this survey

https://www.facebook.com/groups/namenewferrystannix/

As a native born in and raised around the Halifax area I also put down my vote for Christopher Stannix upon seeing this post.

To have his name chosen would be a great honor for Halifax. This will insure his name and story will live on. Hopefully a memorial as well either at the port stations or on the Ferry itself will be made for passengers to see.

Vince Coleman was also a great idea as well, definitely a Halifax legend during the explosion.

Vanguard said:
Vince Coleman was also a great idea as well, definitely a Halifax legend during the explosion.
He would have my vote too otherwise as he is deserving, but Christopher Stannix wins out.

Well the final vote has finally been made and I am most happy and proud to report that the new Halifax ferry title will be named after Mcpl.Stannix of the PLFu's.

I can't be more pleased with the city and citizens decision on the name. Now his name will not only be a memorial but a testament of the duty and sacrifice made in the Canadian Forces and honoring a hometown hero for all people to learn about. Not just the people of Halifax either.

It seriously makes me happy to see they are going ahead with this.

Click on the following link for more information provided by CTV News Atlantic: http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/new-halifax-ferry-to-be-named-after-fallen-soldier-1.1636872

Vanguard said:
Well the final vote has finally been made and I am most happy and proud to report that the new Halifax ferry title will be named after MCpl Stannix of the PLFs.

Cheers-slow-clap-best-gif.gif
  Excellent.  :)

Hundreds turn out for new Halifax ferry named for Christopher Stannix

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1207495-hundreds-turn-out-for-new-halifax-ferry-named-for-christopher-stannix

Hundreds of people turned out Wednesday for the unveiling of Halifax’s new ferry, the Christopher Stannix.

Front and centre at the mid-morning waterfront ceremony were family members and the fiancee of the late master corporal for whom the ferry is named.

“Christopher had a tendency to run a little behind at times,” his father, Ken Stannix, told the crowd.

“It’s nice to know that he’ll be running a tight schedule from now on.”

Stannix was 24 when he was killed in Afghanistan by a roadside bomb in 2007.

He was a graduate of Auburn Drive High School in Cole Harbour and attended Saint Mary’s University. He enlisted with the Canadian Armed Forces in 2001.

“What an honour. It’s overwhelming,” his father said following the ceremony.

“I think it’s important for people to remember the sacrifices that the soldiers have made and their commitment.

“I think that sacrifice is what Chris would want to be remembered for.”

Stannix’s name was chosen during a public vote. Of the five nominated, Stannix received 8,000 votes, Mayor Mike Savage told the crowd.

Stannix’s parents now live in New Brunswick. His mother, Kate, said they found out about the contest through social media and they voted too.

With an additional ferry plying the harbour as of next Tuesday, Metro Transit will increase its Halifax-Woodside service to run Monday to Friday between 6 a.m. and 9 p.m., with service every 15 minutes during rush hours.

Stannix was a member of the Princess Louise’s Fusiliers. Several members of his regiment were in the crowd Wednesday.

Lt.-Col. John MacDonald remembered Stannix for his “infectious optimism, quick wit and smile.”

Stannix played hockey with his regiment colleagues and showed up every year with a new stick and the same attitude, MacDonald said.

“This was the stick and this was the year … that would win it all.”

A band from Auburn Drive High School performed on the waterfront throughout the morning.

And Halifax poet laureate El Jones read a comedic piece lauding the harbour ferry and urging people to embrace public transit for the sake of the environment.

“For your grandchildren and mine, commit to leave the car behind,” Jones said.

The new ferry was built by A.F. Theriault and Son Ltd. in Meteghan River.

The municipality’s existing three ferries are all over 30 years old and “well past their prime,” said Metro Transit head Eddie Robar.

The new ferry looks pretty much identical except for a new paint job. The technology on board the vessel, however, is much different, Robar said.

The older ferries have a mechanical operating system and the Christopher Stannix has an electrical version, he said.

Over the next several days, Metro Transit’s captains and crews will be conducting tests and training on the new boat.

There is a short video from the commemoration ceremony as well, where both the PLF's CO and Stannix's father pay tribute.

And just as an aside, when did the PLF start wearing hackles?

cupper said:
And just as an aside, when did the PLF start wearing hackles?

The PLF have been "hackles on, hackles off" a few times over the past 30 years or so.

Back